1996 Ford Escort - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Escort model:
Skeptical at first, but VERY happy
By escort owner on 12/05/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1996 Ford Escort LX 4dr Wagon

I bought this car, intending only to keep it for a few months. Well its 2.5 years later and i'm still driving it. I have over 160,000 miles on it and it still runs great. Only things i've replaced have been tires and the serpentine belt, regular oil changes and 1 tune up. This is a great college car, its cheap to buy, run, and maintain. The 5-speed has a lot of pickup after 1st gear, so its a nice ride. Good in the winter and rain, no complaints, i would recomend this car to anyone who doesn't mind driving an escort.

96 Escort is a great car
By d357r0y3r on 12/01/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1996 Ford Escort LX 4dr Hatchback

i've got a escort, and have had it for a while, and it is a great car. sure, it's not exactly a speed demon and it doesn't look that cool, but for someone that wants a practical, economical, and overall good car, this is a good choice. in all the time i've had it it's been very reliable, and other than routine tune-ups and some minor timing belt issues, it hasn't caused any problems. if you're looking for sheer power or speed, then the escort isn't for you, but if you're just looking for a good car that's good on milage and is reliable, this is a great option.

I LOVE my little car
By ajoneen on 10/01/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Ford Escort LX 4dr Hatchback

This was my first NEW car and I took alot of ribbing for getting an Escort, but I am Sooo glad I did. Had one front end accident, everyone was OK and repairs were completed easily. I can fit just as much stuff in the rear as my husband can in his SUV!! Its a breeze in the snow and easy to get out of tight places.

Never AGAIN
By jghg on 08/13/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Ford Escort LX 4dr Hatchback

WOW...I see people writing good things about the escort....SHOCKED....The WORST car I have ever owned. I did the maintance, took care of it and what happened problem after problem after problem. Until the engine went with 85,000 miles. Talked with mechanics and was told that is just how the ford engine is made not to last!!!

Power within.
By Kasdan on 07/10/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Ford Escort LX 2dr Hatchback

Some may have good opinions of Escorts, Some may have bad, but my opinion, on the other hand, is great. I love my escort. Nobody expects it to be as fast as it is with the 5- speed, and its just plain fun to drive. Sure, I've had some problems with it, but thats because i used to dog it. Great, reliable car which is a blast to drive and gets awesome gas mialage. And I've never had a problem with the head.

Very Reliable Car
By Happy Camper on 06/10/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Ford Escort LX 2dr Hatchback

I bought this car brand new in 1996. It had 12 miles when I got it, and now has 110,000+. The only thing I ever had to do was keep the oil changed. Once I hit 110,000 miles, I did replace the timing belt and fan belt, but those are the only mechanical problems I've ever had. All in all, it's been a super reliable car.

This is a hidden gem!
By Escortfun on 05/23/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Ford Escort LX 2dr Hatchback

This gem is fun todrive, very economical (38mpg in hwy450mi one tank). Costs nothing to maintain, other than the oil changes etc., and it is reliable and practical (it easily fits my bicycle). The manual I own is peppy and accelerates with the 5th from 55 to 80 very quickly. It can go (tested recently) over 110 mph! I have driven this baby accross the US (it has 140K) for 6 years, and it NEVER left me stranded. I love this car so much, that even though I am buying a brand new sports car, I will keep it, because even a price as high as $4000 is little for it. You found a 96-Escort? Buy it and do not think about it. A REAL bargain!

Great inexpensive car.
By Sara @ UGA on 05/12/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Ford Escort LX 2dr Hatchback

This is a GREAT car for a student. I spend practically nothing maintaining it. All I pay for is gas (and it's great on gas) and oil changes. And it's SUPER RELIABLE. My biggest problem so far is leaving my lights on! And even then somestimes it starts. I would definately reccomend it to anyone who doesn't want to spend a fortune on a car.

a real surprise
By mbern51 on 05/08/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Ford Escort LX 2dr Hatchback

This car was picked up for town use but has quickly become our everyday ride. The Escort performs far better than expected in every way and is very reliable. We have recorded up to 50 miles per gallon across Nevada(5 speed) with more than 150,000 miles on the odometer. A/C is ice cold and the heater is a furnace. One of my better auto purchases and there have been many.

Beware the 1.9 Engine!!!!
By ofcgddss on 04/23/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Ford Escort LX 4dr Sedan

The 1.9 engine is the WORST piece of junk EVER! I bought the car with 30,000 miles on it...at 70,000 miles the heads had to be rebuilt; at 80,000 the entire engine blew. This was the most unbelievably unreliable car ever owned. According to websites, MANY people have reported this problem with the heads as early as 50,000 -- yet Ford refused to do anything about it. Common symptoms -- shaking, rough idling, dying suddenly ... dump this lemon as quickly as possible and do what I'm doing -- buying a HONDA