1996 Ford Escort Hatchback Consumer Reviews 2

1996 Ford Escort Hatchback - Consumer Reviews

1996 Ford Escort 2dr Hatchback

View reviews for a specific Escort model:
I love my escort
By Kelly on 08/11/05 14:26 PM (PDT)

1996 Ford Escort Hatchback 2dr Hatchback

I really enjoy my escort. I bought it at 33,000 miles. I had no repairs for about a year and that was brakes. Its been a great car. I am outgrowing it. Its great for me, just not big enough for a family of 4.

Born to Last
By Need2know on 07/18/05 22:52 PM (PDT)

1996 Ford Escort Hatchback LX 2dr Hatchback

My Escort has 129,00 miles and is still going strong. My friends wanted me to purchase a new car years ago, but I am glad I didn't. Beside normal maintenance (oil, belts, brakes, spark plugs), I replaced the water pump and radiator. Sure those last two repairs costs a few bucks, but it is a lot cheaper than a new car payment. The car has always started (even in the MN cold). The car has plenty of power, but I don't believe in going over 65 miles/hour. If you want a car to do 90 on the interstate, this car isn't for you; Small cars do not handle the road vibrations and noise at high speeds. My only real complaint is that the speedometer went out in year three.

Overall Good Car
By goodcar125 on 06/12/05 21:26 PM (PDT)

1996 Ford Escort Hatchback LX 2dr Hatchback

I bought my '96 escort in 10/04 with 50,300 miles on it from an older man that couldn't drive it anymore. Reliability has been ok i guess. Needed 4 new springs and various emissions sensors when I bought it, but now it needs a new sway bar, a new blower motor and a/c repair. The 1.9L is peppy if you aren't trying to pass on the expressway; then it's dangerous but I have the auto which may explain that. I love how well it takes corners and how easy it is to zip in and out of tight places. It's also a beast in the snow minus the lack of ABS which you have to be careful about. Also, fuel economy rocks! I put 15 bucks in it and it lasts 2 weeks; it's so amazing with gas being as much as it is.

Going and going and .......
By sasam on 11/28/04 17:56 PM (PST)

1996 Ford Escort Hatchback LX 4dr Hatchback

Bought it hoping to keep for a year, but after three it is still running without any problems, other than oil changes and basic maintenance.

Dependable
By jrossodi on 05/01/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Ford Escort Hatchback 2dr Hatchback

This car won't die. It has had a few minor expectable problems, such as brakes, tires, battery, etc. But the engine is tough, the mileage is great, an it has NEVER missed a start in it's 8 years of life. I am now looking for another one for my son, same year. I know what to expect from the Escort.

Spring's 'Scort
By Spring on 03/28/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1996 Ford Escort Hatchback 2dr Hatchback

I just bought a used 1996 Escort. It was a steal and the mileage, 40,000! This simple and economic and RELIABLE car gets me places. I see a lot of elderly people driving around here in the 80's Civic hatchbacks and other subcompacts, so I'm guessing that this particular Escort was one of those "elderly cars," being operated within the warranty as long as possible. This one's gonna last me a long while, I know it. So, if there's a 96 Escort out there for sale, - don't be a fool - buy it. It's the last of its kind. Great mileage, decent looks, easy to maintain.

96 Escort is a great car
By d357r0y3r on 12/01/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1996 Ford Escort Hatchback LX 4dr Hatchback

i've got a escort, and have had it for a while, and it is a great car. sure, it's not exactly a speed demon and it doesn't look that cool, but for someone that wants a practical, economical, and overall good car, this is a good choice. in all the time i've had it it's been very reliable, and other than routine tune-ups and some minor timing belt issues, it hasn't caused any problems. if you're looking for sheer power or speed, then the escort isn't for you, but if you're just looking for a good car that's good on milage and is reliable, this is a great option.

I LOVE my little car
By ajoneen on 10/01/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Ford Escort Hatchback LX 4dr Hatchback

This was my first NEW car and I took alot of ribbing for getting an Escort, but I am Sooo glad I did. Had one front end accident, everyone was OK and repairs were completed easily. I can fit just as much stuff in the rear as my husband can in his SUV!! Its a breeze in the snow and easy to get out of tight places.

Never AGAIN
By jghg on 08/13/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Ford Escort Hatchback LX 4dr Hatchback

WOW...I see people writing good things about the escort....SHOCKED....The WORST car I have ever owned. I did the maintance, took care of it and what happened problem after problem after problem. Until the engine went with 85,000 miles. Talked with mechanics and was told that is just how the ford engine is made not to last!!!

Power within.
By Kasdan on 07/10/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Ford Escort Hatchback LX 2dr Hatchback

Some may have good opinions of Escorts, Some may have bad, but my opinion, on the other hand, is great. I love my escort. Nobody expects it to be as fast as it is with the 5- speed, and its just plain fun to drive. Sure, I've had some problems with it, but thats because i used to dog it. Great, reliable car which is a blast to drive and gets awesome gas mialage. And I've never had a problem with the head.