1996 Ford Escort - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Escort model:
Power within.
By Kasdan on 07/10/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Ford Escort LX 2dr Hatchback

Some may have good opinions of Escorts, Some may have bad, but my opinion, on the other hand, is great. I love my escort. Nobody expects it to be as fast as it is with the 5- speed, and its just plain fun to drive. Sure, I've had some problems with it, but thats because i used to dog it. Great, reliable car which is a blast to drive and gets awesome gas mialage. And I've never had a problem with the head.

Very Reliable Car
By Happy Camper on 06/10/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Ford Escort LX 2dr Hatchback

I bought this car brand new in 1996. It had 12 miles when I got it, and now has 110,000+. The only thing I ever had to do was keep the oil changed. Once I hit 110,000 miles, I did replace the timing belt and fan belt, but those are the only mechanical problems I've ever had. All in all, it's been a super reliable car.

This is a hidden gem!
By Escortfun on 05/23/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Ford Escort LX 2dr Hatchback

This gem is fun todrive, very economical (38mpg in hwy450mi one tank). Costs nothing to maintain, other than the oil changes etc., and it is reliable and practical (it easily fits my bicycle). The manual I own is peppy and accelerates with the 5th from 55 to 80 very quickly. It can go (tested recently) over 110 mph! I have driven this baby accross the US (it has 140K) for 6 years, and it NEVER left me stranded. I love this car so much, that even though I am buying a brand new sports car, I will keep it, because even a price as high as $4000 is little for it. You found a 96-Escort? Buy it and do not think about it. A REAL bargain!

Great inexpensive car.
By Sara @ UGA on 05/12/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Ford Escort LX 2dr Hatchback

This is a GREAT car for a student. I spend practically nothing maintaining it. All I pay for is gas (and it's great on gas) and oil changes. And it's SUPER RELIABLE. My biggest problem so far is leaving my lights on! And even then somestimes it starts. I would definately reccomend it to anyone who doesn't want to spend a fortune on a car.

a real surprise
By mbern51 on 05/08/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Ford Escort LX 2dr Hatchback

This car was picked up for town use but has quickly become our everyday ride. The Escort performs far better than expected in every way and is very reliable. We have recorded up to 50 miles per gallon across Nevada(5 speed) with more than 150,000 miles on the odometer. A/C is ice cold and the heater is a furnace. One of my better auto purchases and there have been many.

96 escort lx 2dr hatchback
By herb campbell ii on 03/04/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1996 Ford Escort LX 2dr Hatchback

great vehicle. fun to drive. dependable. looks great. very economical to operate. lots of compliments. not sorry i bought it by far.

so-so
By K560 on 02/03/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1996 Ford Escort LX 2dr Hatchback

I've had the hard for about 5.5 years and have gone 100,000 miles with it. Overall the car has been good- but then again I've done all the maintance. The past 2 years though the car has started to have problems at this point I've put in over 3,000 and the car never seems to run right. It was a good little car but now it seems to be on its last legs.

Puddle jumper
By Luv my 'scort on 01/12/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1996 Ford Escort LX 2dr Hatchback

This car is a JOY to drive.I LOVE THIS CAR! 5sp and my GOD is it peppy for a 1.9L! I had a few problems, mostly due to the fact it had been totalled before I bought it. The speedo jumps and makes a scratching noise due to a frayed cable, the 2nd gear synchro is off so downshifting always grinds going into second, and that DAMNED check engine light! it came on a week after I bought it, I had a cylinoid replaced, and that fixed it for another week. I had it checked twice, both times no codes. after that I just ignored it. many fond memories with this car. GREAT MILEAGE! and TONS of fun to drive. I'd get another one in a second!