Used 1996 Ford Escort Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1996 Ford Escort - Consumer Reviews

1996 Ford Escort Sedan

LX 1.9L 4-cyl. 5-speed Manual - (4 reviews )

Great Car For the Money
By Matt

1996 Ford Escort Sedan LX 4dr Sedan

Bought this car in Aug. of '05. So far it has been a good investment since it has taken me back and forth from work and school with little complaint. It is definitely a good car to have with the uncertain gas prices although the engine could use more power. The only major problem I had with this car is the heater core and the AC still doesn't work but I consider this pretty good for an almost 10 year old car. Overall I'm satisfied with my Escort and would definitely buy one again.

Favorite Features

Handling, keyless entry, alloys and spoiler, fuel economy.

Suggested Improvements

A more powerful motor option for all models not just in GT. Better quality door panels. One map pocket fell off and the other is getting there. No junky power seatbelts.

Don't Want to Give It Up!!
By The Rave

1996 Ford Escort Sedan LX 4dr Sedan

I don't even want to sell this old car!! I've had it for 2 years, it had high mileage on it when I bought it, plus I put 1000 miles on it in one trip from NY to Ohio, and back. It never gave me any problems, always started right up, the AC and heat are phenomenal, and the gas mileage is great. I drove this car through two bad winters and it still never failed. I just graduated college and my father urged me to purchase a brand new car, but I'm afraid it won't be as reliable as this one!

Beware the 1.9 Engine!!!!
By ofcgddss

1996 Ford Escort Sedan LX 4dr Sedan

The 1.9 engine is the WORST piece of junk EVER! I bought the car with 30,000 miles on it...at 70,000 miles the heads had to be rebuilt; at 80,000 the entire engine blew. This was the most unbelievably unreliable car ever owned. According to websites, MANY people have reported this problem with the heads as early as 50,000 -- yet Ford refused to do anything about it. Common symptoms -- shaking, rough idling, dying suddenly ... dump this lemon as quickly as possible and do what I'm doing -- buying a HONDA

Favorite Features

NONE

Suggested Improvements

Put a reliable engine in -- no car engine built today should need heads rebuilt at 50,000 miles!!!! Yet this is a common problem -- DO RESEARCH

Fun To Drive!!!
By bordercollie

1996 Ford Escort Sedan LX 4dr Sedan

Bought my Escort 6 months ago, And have enjoyed it a lot. It acelerates nicely and handles well, even at 85mph, A very good car for the money.

Favorite Features

Comfortable seats, Nice steering, wheel,

Suggested Improvements

None