1996 Ford Escort Hatchback - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Escort model:
12 years and still running
By Drew on 04/06/08 13:55 PM (PDT)

1996 Ford Escort Hatchback 2dr Hatchback

I bought a new, base model April, 1996 with automatic transmission. It did not come with AC, or a radio. I have 118,000 miles on it. Pretty good runner. I put a radio in it. With basic mainatanence it has been pretty dependable. It did have to be towed away the first day I bought it though, but was repaired in two weeks and really, no major problems since. I have put new brake lines, new master cylinder, new catalytic converter, new radiator on the care. Only in the last year or so have the Ohio winters started to cause the body to rust (I didn't have it rust proofed when I bought it).

I love my escort
By Kelly on 08/11/05 14:26 PM (PDT)

1996 Ford Escort Hatchback 2dr Hatchback

I really enjoy my escort. I bought it at 33,000 miles. I had no repairs for about a year and that was brakes. Its been a great car. I am outgrowing it. Its great for me, just not big enough for a family of 4.

Dependable
By jrossodi on 05/01/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Ford Escort Hatchback 2dr Hatchback

This car won't die. It has had a few minor expectable problems, such as brakes, tires, battery, etc. But the engine is tough, the mileage is great, an it has NEVER missed a start in it's 8 years of life. I am now looking for another one for my son, same year. I know what to expect from the Escort.

Spring's 'Scort
By Spring on 03/28/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1996 Ford Escort Hatchback 2dr Hatchback

I just bought a used 1996 Escort. It was a steal and the mileage, 40,000! This simple and economic and RELIABLE car gets me places. I see a lot of elderly people driving around here in the 80's Civic hatchbacks and other subcompacts, so I'm guessing that this particular Escort was one of those "elderly cars," being operated within the warranty as long as possible. This one's gonna last me a long while, I know it. So, if there's a 96 Escort out there for sale, - don't be a fool - buy it. It's the last of its kind. Great mileage, decent looks, easy to maintain.