Used 1996 Ford Escort Base Hatchback Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1996 Ford Escort Hatchback - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Escort model:

12 years and still running
By Drew

1996 Ford Escort Hatchback 2dr Hatchback

I bought a new, base model April, 1996 with automatic transmission. It did not come with AC, or a radio. I have 118,000 miles on it. Pretty good runner. I put a radio in it. With basic mainatanence it has been pretty dependable. It did have to be towed away the first day I bought it though, but was repaired in two weeks and really, no major problems since. I have put new brake lines, new master cylinder, new catalytic converter, new radiator on the care. Only in the last year or so have the Ohio winters started to cause the body to rust (I didn't have it rust proofed when I bought it).

Gas mileage (about 30 MPG), relatively dependable. Plus it holds a ton of stuff with the back seat folded down! 12 years old and counting

Automatic seat belts stink(replaced twice so far), speedometer bounces all over the place, blower motor on the heater died in the middle of winter

I love my escort
By Kelly

1996 Ford Escort Hatchback 2dr Hatchback

I really enjoy my escort. I bought it at 33,000 miles. I had no repairs for about a year and that was brakes. Its been a great car. I am outgrowing it. Its great for me, just not big enough for a family of 4.

no major problems.

Dependable
By jrossodi

1996 Ford Escort Hatchback 2dr Hatchback

This car won't die. It has had a few minor expectable problems, such as brakes, tires, battery, etc. But the engine is tough, the mileage is great, an it has NEVER missed a start in it's 8 years of life. I am now looking for another one for my son, same year. I know what to expect from the Escort.

Nice trunk space, comfortable seats, great gas mileage, reliable powertrain.

Not the fastest thing on the road, ablsolutely terrible stereo, and not the best looking car either!

Spring's 'Scort
By Spring

1996 Ford Escort Hatchback 2dr Hatchback

I just bought a used 1996 Escort. It was a steal and the mileage, 40,000! This simple and economic and RELIABLE car gets me places. I see a lot of elderly people driving around here in the 80's Civic hatchbacks and other subcompacts, so I'm guessing that this particular Escort was one of those "elderly cars," being operated within the warranty as long as possible. This one's gonna last me a long while, I know it. So, if there's a 96 Escort out there for sale, - don't be a fool - buy it. It's the last of its kind. Great mileage, decent looks, easy to maintain.

A/C's got a push-in knob that looks like the 8-ball. Airflow choices are written, no cartoons to interpret. And they GLOW! Functional dashboard, easy to view and operate. Drink holders came with black plastic liner, no spilling.

Are you kidding?! NO! Just keep the oil changed every three months, and use Mobil motor oil for the motor. I've owned several cars and this was the best purchase I've made on a car.