Used 1996 Ford Escort LX Hatchback Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1996 Ford Escort - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Escort model:

I miss my escort!
By killthebananas

1996 Ford Escort Hatchback LX 2dr Hatchback

This car was given to me by my dad. It has been the most reliable car ever. I loved (and still do, really) this car and everything about it. The hatchback is super spacious, comfy seats, and nice looking interior. I performed regular maint on it and it treated me VERY well until about a week ago when it died at about 170k due to a bent valve. If properly diagnosed from the get go (it made noises for a while that no one would take seriously), I am positive my car would still be going strong right now. If not for that I would still be driving it and would NEVER give it up. I always said I would drive it til it died...I guess I should have kept my trap shut!!

Favorite Features

EVERYTHING. I never felt like I was driving a 1996 vehicle. The interior was very nice looking. It had plenty of power and plenty of cargo room..to give you an idea..my bf was in a band and it fit his all of his gear, all of his guitarists gear and still room to spare!! No back passenger, of course.

Suggested Improvements

My only suggestion would be that Ford start making the escort again because it's the best car ever made.

the best
By patas

1996 Ford Escort Hatchback LX 2dr Hatchback

this car are the best on gas,cheap parts easy to fix i love my ford escort i dont need i new car

Favorite Features

durability

Suggested Improvements

the seats need be more comfortable

Bad car
By Gail

1996 Ford Escort Hatchback LX 2dr Hatchback

Since I brought this car, it left me sit for belts going, I had the a/c fixed. Now I cannot even drive it started with 200.00 tune-up now up to 1,400, something about the number 4 cylinder, had head fixed, went again without leaving the garage, still not working. Might send it to the bone yard. All this at 84,000 miles I expected better.

My second chance Escort
By Matt Burkart

1996 Ford Escort Hatchback LX 2dr Hatchback

This is my 2nd Escort, my first one was a builder car. At the time the car was still pretty new so I liked it, but it had it's problems. My second one is identical to the first and I love it. But what is not to love about great gas mileage, and pretty much just general maintainence. It has 154,000 on it and just had plugs, wires, and an alternator put on it.

Favorite Features

Very comfortable, 5-speed, cheaper tires than most newer cars. Overall a very sharp looking car.

Suggested Improvements

Automatic seatbelt swiches that last longer, and speedometers that outlast the car.

Reliable
By Mila

1996 Ford Escort Hatchback LX 2dr Hatchback

Bought the car w/ 26 000 miles in 2000. It now has 210 000). I have been a stickler in term of regular maintenance (oil lube etc.). I have alos changed a few things. I treat the car like a great car and it has been a great car. I commute a lot mostly freeway. I am very sentimental about the car - my first in the US (I am from Europe) and got me through grad school. People now tell me I need to buy something that matches my lifestyle more but I do not want to. There is nothing wrong with the car. When I go for oil change/tire work, they look for other things to do on the car and say - there is nothing wrong with the car. The mechanics tell me

Favorite Features

Suggested Improvements

N/A - they do not make them anymore