Used 1996 Ford Escort Hatchback Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1996 Ford Escort Hatchback - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Escort model:

Love It!
By chuckshane

1996 Ford Escort Hatchback LX 4dr Hatchback

My green Ford Escort has been a great car to me. It has never broke down in the year and a half i have owned it. I bought it 1-owner w/92k miles for 1200$. It now has over 108, still runs just as good. VERRRY slow car..VERY. the 5 speed transmission is sloppy, not a very roomy car either but the seats are comfortable. Gas milage is OUTSTANDING on this car.

Gas Mileage! Non-working rear defrost.

I miss my escort!
By killthebananas

1996 Ford Escort Hatchback LX 2dr Hatchback

This car was given to me by my dad. It has been the most reliable car ever. I loved (and still do, really) this car and everything about it. The hatchback is super spacious, comfy seats, and nice looking interior. I performed regular maint on it and it treated me VERY well until about a week ago when it died at about 170k due to a bent valve. If properly diagnosed from the get go (it made noises for a while that no one would take seriously), I am positive my car would still be going strong right now. If not for that I would still be driving it and would NEVER give it up. I always said I would drive it til it died...I guess I should have kept my trap shut!!

EVERYTHING. I never felt like I was driving a 1996 vehicle. The interior was very nice looking. It had plenty of power and plenty of cargo room..to give you an idea..my bf was in a band and it fit his all of his gear, all of his guitarists gear and still room to spare!! No back passenger, of course.

My only suggestion would be that Ford start making the escort again because it's the best car ever made.

the best
By patas

1996 Ford Escort Hatchback LX 2dr Hatchback

this car are the best on gas,cheap parts easy to fix i love my ford escort i dont need i new car

durability

the seats need be more comfortable

12 years and still running
By Drew

1996 Ford Escort Hatchback 2dr Hatchback

I bought a new, base model April, 1996 with automatic transmission. It did not come with AC, or a radio. I have 118,000 miles on it. Pretty good runner. I put a radio in it. With basic mainatanence it has been pretty dependable. It did have to be towed away the first day I bought it though, but was repaired in two weeks and really, no major problems since. I have put new brake lines, new master cylinder, new catalytic converter, new radiator on the care. Only in the last year or so have the Ohio winters started to cause the body to rust (I didn't have it rust proofed when I bought it).

Gas mileage (about 30 MPG), relatively dependable. Plus it holds a ton of stuff with the back seat folded down! 12 years old and counting

Automatic seat belts stink(replaced twice so far), speedometer bounces all over the place, blower motor on the heater died in the middle of winter

Bad car
By Gail

1996 Ford Escort Hatchback LX 2dr Hatchback

Since I brought this car, it left me sit for belts going, I had the a/c fixed. Now I cannot even drive it started with 200.00 tune-up now up to 1,400, something about the number 4 cylinder, had head fixed, went again without leaving the garage, still not working. Might send it to the bone yard. All this at 84,000 miles I expected better.