1996 Ford Escort Hatchback - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Escort model:
Love It!
By chuckshane on 10/09/12 16:12 PM (PDT)

1996 Ford Escort Hatchback LX 4dr Hatchback

My green Ford Escort has been a great car to me. It has never broke down in the year and a half i have owned it. I bought it 1-owner w/92k miles for 1200$. It now has over 108, still runs just as good. VERRRY slow car..VERY. the 5 speed transmission is sloppy, not a very roomy car either but the seats are comfortable. Gas milage is OUTSTANDING on this car.

I miss my escort!
By killthebananas on 09/29/09 17:50 PM (PDT)

1996 Ford Escort Hatchback LX 2dr Hatchback

This car was given to me by my dad. It has been the most reliable car ever. I loved (and still do, really) this car and everything about it. The hatchback is super spacious, comfy seats, and nice looking interior. I performed regular maint on it and it treated me VERY well until about a week ago when it died at about 170k due to a bent valve. If properly diagnosed from the get go (it made noises for a while that no one would take seriously), I am positive my car would still be going strong right now. If not for that I would still be driving it and would NEVER give it up. I always said I would drive it til it died...I guess I should have kept my trap shut!!

the best
By patas on 03/19/09 20:50 PM (PDT)

1996 Ford Escort Hatchback LX 2dr Hatchback

this car are the best on gas,cheap parts easy to fix i love my ford escort i dont need i new car

12 years and still running
By Drew on 04/06/08 13:55 PM (PDT)

1996 Ford Escort Hatchback 2dr Hatchback

I bought a new, base model April, 1996 with automatic transmission. It did not come with AC, or a radio. I have 118,000 miles on it. Pretty good runner. I put a radio in it. With basic mainatanence it has been pretty dependable. It did have to be towed away the first day I bought it though, but was repaired in two weeks and really, no major problems since. I have put new brake lines, new master cylinder, new catalytic converter, new radiator on the care. Only in the last year or so have the Ohio winters started to cause the body to rust (I didn't have it rust proofed when I bought it).

Bad car
By Gail on 03/31/08 08:21 AM (PDT)

1996 Ford Escort Hatchback LX 2dr Hatchback

Since I brought this car, it left me sit for belts going, I had the a/c fixed. Now I cannot even drive it started with 200.00 tune-up now up to 1,400, something about the number 4 cylinder, had head fixed, went again without leaving the garage, still not working. Might send it to the bone yard. All this at 84,000 miles I expected better.

My second chance Escort
By Matt Burkart on 03/24/08 19:50 PM (PDT)

1996 Ford Escort Hatchback LX 2dr Hatchback

This is my 2nd Escort, my first one was a builder car. At the time the car was still pretty new so I liked it, but it had it's problems. My second one is identical to the first and I love it. But what is not to love about great gas mileage, and pretty much just general maintainence. It has 154,000 on it and just had plugs, wires, and an alternator put on it.

Reliable
By Mila on 03/14/08 02:47 AM (PDT)

1996 Ford Escort Hatchback LX 2dr Hatchback

Bought the car w/ 26 000 miles in 2000. It now has 210 000). I have been a stickler in term of regular maintenance (oil lube etc.). I have alos changed a few things. I treat the car like a great car and it has been a great car. I commute a lot mostly freeway. I am very sentimental about the car - my first in the US (I am from Europe) and got me through grad school. People now tell me I need to buy something that matches my lifestyle more but I do not want to. There is nothing wrong with the car. When I go for oil change/tire work, they look for other things to do on the car and say - there is nothing wrong with the car. The mechanics tell me

no regrets
By Jay on 02/11/07 11:13 AM (PST)

1996 Ford Escort Hatchback LX 2dr Hatchback

I bought my Escort brand new over 10 years ago. It had a whopping 76 miles on it. After the initial nit picking during the warranty period, it has done well. It still gets over 30 mpg. I have replaced the struts, heater core, radiator, and the timing belt (twice). All these repairs happened after the warranty and I did the work myself. Parts are cheap for this car. I have never balked at its reliability during its now 172,000 miles. This car has seen a lot of my life, it's almost sentimental. My main regret is that I got the sunset red (pink) color. It was cool at the time, but not so now.

like a rock
By Mark on 02/23/06 17:58 PM (PST)

1996 Ford Escort Hatchback LX 2dr Hatchback

I got my 96 Escort new 10 years ago. This car just wont die. I now have 131,000 miles on it and it still drives and looks like a new car. I have looked at new cars but I cant find any as nice as my Escort. I have had few problems and the oil is still at the full mark when I change the oil every 7000 miles. The body is rust free even after 10 Wisconsin winters. I still have cold ac. I keep it washed and waxed and the paint still looks like a new car. This has been the best car I have ever owned and I only hope my future cars are as good as this one (the car that keeps going and going and going).

Hate Fords?
By TAllen on 09/06/05 16:53 PM (PDT)

1996 Ford Escort Hatchback LX 2dr Hatchback

I vowed never to own another Ford after owning a Tempo. HA! Bought this Escort because of its style and drive. Only had 100,000 miles when bought at 9 years old. The only major problem was I had to replace the harmonic balancer because it threw the timing off and made the car literally not want to move. Got it fixed and that 1.9L gets up and goes. Gets great gas mileage. And roomy for a small compact car. This was a good pick from someone who hates Fords. This one has helped change my mind although my wife still says CHEVY!