Used 1996 Ford Escort LX Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1996 Ford Escort - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Escort model:

This is my 2nd Escort
By Ford Escort Wagon

1996 Ford Escort LX 4dr Wagon

This is my second Escort, loved my first one, very reliable, both the drive tyrain and chasis was bulit by Mazda. Ford built the body. I had a 4 door 1.9 now a wagon 1.9 i seem to have lost a bit of power. The wagon only has 50kgs of more weight, but lacks of power accelerating. I would love a 5 speed but very rare. This car is very pratical and reliable. I love my Escorts. My 1991 had 250,000k's on it and was still going strong. That's why I bought an another one. My opinion? Buy an Escort, good and reliable cars.

Comfort, rear wiper. Cheap tires, 13 or 14 depending on rims. All options are easy to access but rear wiper. Space with rear seat down 60/40 split. Lots of cargo room for a small car. Power options are good. Seating is good and comforatble for long trips. Overall I love my Escort.

Just one, better access to rear wiper on/off/washer.

Great econo-box
By missouri_escort

1996 Ford Escort LX 4dr Wagon

I purchased the car new on April Fool's day of 1996. It has been great with no major problems. I replaced the speedometer at 84,000 miles, a weak point with all Fords of this era; miles and timing belt, it will happen to all of them, at 100000+ miles. I replaced the ignition pack at 110,000. It will do 30+MPG on trips and 26 MPH town and country. With 113,000+ miles it still runs like new on original tune and spark plugs.

1) Gas mileage. 2) The 1.9L engine is a great improvement over the original 1.6 Escort engine of the early 80's. It should outlast the rest of the car by a long shot.

Ford should have made the a/c vents easier to adjust. The tiny handles are just too small. The speedometer needs better bearings for the needle to allow it operate properly for the life of the car.

Skeptical at first, but VERY happy
By escort owner

1996 Ford Escort LX 4dr Wagon

I bought this car, intending only to keep it for a few months. Well its 2.5 years later and i'm still driving it. I have over 160,000 miles on it and it still runs great. Only things i've replaced have been tires and the serpentine belt, regular oil changes and 1 tune up. This is a great college car, its cheap to buy, run, and maintain. The 5-speed has a lot of pickup after 1st gear, so its a nice ride. Good in the winter and rain, no complaints, i would recomend this car to anyone who doesn't mind driving an escort.

would have to be the large trunk area, lets face it, its no ferrari.

drink holders block the AC jack for you cell phone, and automatic seat belts need to go.

Great Wagon
By allanjmac

1996 Ford Escort LX 4dr Wagon

This is one of the greatest cars we've owned.Great fuel milage,fun to drive put it can get away on you,good comfort.Only problem is the speedometor will jump from 100kms to 120kms for no reason also it makes a wirring noise--any sugetions? Thanks

Loads of room in the wagon for trips

Great little wagon.
By Ron Gaylord

1996 Ford Escort LX 4dr Wagon

I brought this 1996 Escort wagon new in 1996. I currently have 114,000 miles on it and have had zero problems. It get's great mileage and I can carry just about anything with it. I also pull a trailer with a motorcycle on it and the Escort does fine as long as you don't have to use the air. I don't know how good the new Ford Focus is but I think Ford made a mistake when the got rid of the Escort wagon. My wagon has a standart shift and will keep up with any situation I've found myself in.

Gas mileage and ability to carry anything

Could use more power.