1996 Ford Escort - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Escort model:
I miss my escort!
By killthebananas on 09/29/09 17:50 PM (PDT)

1996 Ford Escort LX 2dr Hatchback

This car was given to me by my dad. It has been the most reliable car ever. I loved (and still do, really) this car and everything about it. The hatchback is super spacious, comfy seats, and nice looking interior. I performed regular maint on it and it treated me VERY well until about a week ago when it died at about 170k due to a bent valve. If properly diagnosed from the get go (it made noises for a while that no one would take seriously), I am positive my car would still be going strong right now. If not for that I would still be driving it and would NEVER give it up. I always said I would drive it til it died...I guess I should have kept my trap shut!!

the best
By patas on 03/19/09 20:50 PM (PDT)

1996 Ford Escort LX 2dr Hatchback

this car are the best on gas,cheap parts easy to fix i love my ford escort i dont need i new car

Bad car
By Gail on 03/31/08 08:21 AM (PDT)

1996 Ford Escort LX 2dr Hatchback

Since I brought this car, it left me sit for belts going, I had the a/c fixed. Now I cannot even drive it started with 200.00 tune-up now up to 1,400, something about the number 4 cylinder, had head fixed, went again without leaving the garage, still not working. Might send it to the bone yard. All this at 84,000 miles I expected better.

My second chance Escort
By Matt Burkart on 03/24/08 19:50 PM (PDT)

1996 Ford Escort LX 2dr Hatchback

This is my 2nd Escort, my first one was a builder car. At the time the car was still pretty new so I liked it, but it had it's problems. My second one is identical to the first and I love it. But what is not to love about great gas mileage, and pretty much just general maintainence. It has 154,000 on it and just had plugs, wires, and an alternator put on it.

Reliable
By Mila on 03/14/08 02:47 AM (PDT)

1996 Ford Escort LX 2dr Hatchback

Bought the car w/ 26 000 miles in 2000. It now has 210 000). I have been a stickler in term of regular maintenance (oil lube etc.). I have alos changed a few things. I treat the car like a great car and it has been a great car. I commute a lot mostly freeway. I am very sentimental about the car - my first in the US (I am from Europe) and got me through grad school. People now tell me I need to buy something that matches my lifestyle more but I do not want to. There is nothing wrong with the car. When I go for oil change/tire work, they look for other things to do on the car and say - there is nothing wrong with the car. The mechanics tell me

no regrets
By Jay on 02/11/07 11:13 AM (PST)

1996 Ford Escort LX 2dr Hatchback

I bought my Escort brand new over 10 years ago. It had a whopping 76 miles on it. After the initial nit picking during the warranty period, it has done well. It still gets over 30 mpg. I have replaced the struts, heater core, radiator, and the timing belt (twice). All these repairs happened after the warranty and I did the work myself. Parts are cheap for this car. I have never balked at its reliability during its now 172,000 miles. This car has seen a lot of my life, it's almost sentimental. My main regret is that I got the sunset red (pink) color. It was cool at the time, but not so now.

like a rock
By Mark on 02/23/06 17:58 PM (PST)

1996 Ford Escort LX 2dr Hatchback

I got my 96 Escort new 10 years ago. This car just wont die. I now have 131,000 miles on it and it still drives and looks like a new car. I have looked at new cars but I cant find any as nice as my Escort. I have had few problems and the oil is still at the full mark when I change the oil every 7000 miles. The body is rust free even after 10 Wisconsin winters. I still have cold ac. I keep it washed and waxed and the paint still looks like a new car. This has been the best car I have ever owned and I only hope my future cars are as good as this one (the car that keeps going and going and going).

Hate Fords?
By TAllen on 09/06/05 16:53 PM (PDT)

1996 Ford Escort LX 2dr Hatchback

I vowed never to own another Ford after owning a Tempo. HA! Bought this Escort because of its style and drive. Only had 100,000 miles when bought at 9 years old. The only major problem was I had to replace the harmonic balancer because it threw the timing off and made the car literally not want to move. Got it fixed and that 1.9L gets up and goes. Gets great gas mileage. And roomy for a small compact car. This was a good pick from someone who hates Fords. This one has helped change my mind although my wife still says CHEVY!

Born to Last
By Need2know on 07/18/05 22:52 PM (PDT)

1996 Ford Escort LX 2dr Hatchback

My Escort has 129,00 miles and is still going strong. My friends wanted me to purchase a new car years ago, but I am glad I didn't. Beside normal maintenance (oil, belts, brakes, spark plugs), I replaced the water pump and radiator. Sure those last two repairs costs a few bucks, but it is a lot cheaper than a new car payment. The car has always started (even in the MN cold). The car has plenty of power, but I don't believe in going over 65 miles/hour. If you want a car to do 90 on the interstate, this car isn't for you; Small cars do not handle the road vibrations and noise at high speeds. My only real complaint is that the speedometer went out in year three.

Overall Good Car
By goodcar125 on 06/12/05 21:26 PM (PDT)

1996 Ford Escort LX 2dr Hatchback

I bought my '96 escort in 10/04 with 50,300 miles on it from an older man that couldn't drive it anymore. Reliability has been ok i guess. Needed 4 new springs and various emissions sensors when I bought it, but now it needs a new sway bar, a new blower motor and a/c repair. The 1.9L is peppy if you aren't trying to pass on the expressway; then it's dangerous but I have the auto which may explain that. I love how well it takes corners and how easy it is to zip in and out of tight places. It's also a beast in the snow minus the lack of ABS which you have to be careful about. Also, fuel economy rocks! I put 15 bucks in it and it lasts 2 weeks; it's so amazing with gas being as much as it is.