1995 Ford Escort - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Escort model:
Bought used, had 5 years, like it!!
By Sarah F on 07/16/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1995 Ford Escort LX 4dr Hatchback

My "mileage" is actually in kms, being Canadian! I bought my Escort used with 125 000 kms, it now has 200 000 kms after 4 years. Reliability has been good with regular maintenance- had to have rear brakes replaced. Not a whole lot of pep (auto transmission). Some rust on side of door. Comfort is good, A/C works AWESOMELY although mileage loses! My fuel economy has been declining over the last year. Handles well.

great on gas
By Cathy on 07/09/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1995 Ford Escort LX 4dr Wagon

Best car I have ever had for gas mileage and reliable performance. All manual five speed shift really has done what the label said upon purchase 38 mpg on highway and 30 mpg other.

Decent Car
By BigGuy100 on 05/29/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1995 Ford Escort LX 2dr Hatchback

Bought new, now has over 100,000 miles on it. Needed new transmission and ignition at 53,000 miles. Have replaced 2 tie rods. Overall good fuel economy even at 100,000 +. Very reliable for price. VERY spacious with seats folded down. Hauled everything from a washer to furniture!

Not what I expected
By danguy on 05/29/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1995 Ford Escort LX 4dr Wagon

We bought the car needing something to haul stuff in. While the car has been okay it has not lived up to my expectations. The paint on the rear bumper is badly oxidized and both rear seat belts stopped retracting after 3 years of owning it. Ford was no help in trying to get them fixed. The sprayers on the front windshield wipers won't stay in place. Worst experience has been dealing with Ford dealer and Ford help line. I'd think twice before buying a Ford again.

Still Going Strong
By catskill on 05/23/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1995 Ford Escort LX 4dr Hatchback

Purchased my 2nd Escort with 26,000 miles in Oct. 2000. Now has 73,000 miles - mostly highway. In that time, I have not had a single problem with the car. Gas mileage is terrific, averaging about 33 with automatic trans. Front seat gets uncomfortable for me on long trips (2+ hours), but it's a terrific car all around. I'm now selling it to buy a newer Escort wagon...but what a great car!

Pretty good
By tkdinOR on 04/02/02 00:00 AM (PST)

1995 Ford Escort LX 4dr Wagon

I have owned this car since 1997 (it's 95) and I have only changed a water pump. It has been pretty reliable. If you could the one with good records, it won't disappoint you.

Worth a second look.
By speed racer on 04/01/02 00:00 AM (PST)

1995 Ford Escort GT 2dr Hatchback

For the money, this little 1.8 16 vlave 127 hp engine makes you take a second look. Although not the fastest of the line, once you hit 4500 rpms. it comes alive ! It is smooth reving all the way to it's 8000 rpm redline. Handling is fun a predictable once you get used to the cars limits. Optional electric sun roof and GT spoiler package gives this little car an aggresive look. Matched with the factory 15 in alum alloy wheels makes quite a stance for a littel car at any red light. Only had to change alt. and timming belt. and at 127000 fun miles i look forward to another 100000. Great little care for college student on a budget and wanting the performanc of much more expensive cars.

Good, cheap transportation
By kookymonster on 03/28/02 00:00 AM (PST)

1995 Ford Escort LX 4dr Hatchback

The only major problem with this vehicle was a cracked head at about 115,000 miles. It cost me, along with some front end repairs, about $2,000.00. My mechanic said cracked heads were common in high-mileage Escorts. Ironically, the car has never used oil and has always started, even in harsh Wisconsin and Minnesota (where my son drives it now) winters.

A superior wagon for an economy car.
By pj on 03/18/02 13:01 PM (PST)

1995 Ford Escort LX 4dr Wagon

A smart choice.Plenty of room in the back for transporting furniture(we easily fit a 5'x40"x20" wardrobe in the back with the seats folded down).Thats alot of space for a small car.Visibility is excellent, easy to park in small spaces,and in five years,have only had it in the shop 3 times for minor repairs.The a/c cranks and still gives great gas mileage.It is very comfortable to drive and the front driver seat has great lower back support,a comfort for long rides.We've transported rugs,mattresses,plywood and many other items you would normally need a pickup for.No regrets with this car.

Escort Wagon Winner
By Mundo330 on 03/10/02 23:26 PM (PST)

1995 Ford Escort LX 4dr Wagon

Purchased the vehicle with 30K in Mid 98 and now have 122K. Only tires, brakes (once), oil changes, and tune ups trequired. This vehicle still has the original clutch. I am a Computer tech and can hall 3 17" monitors and CPUs in boxes with room to spare. I average 325 mile on a 9 Gal. fill up. Only have problem with the rear seat folding position. My RC Airplanes will not sit flat. and limited room for the wings.