Used 1995 Ford Escort Hatchback Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1995 Ford Escort - Consumer Reviews

1995 Ford Escort Hatchback

View reviews for a specific Escort model:

GT fun - big bang for the buck!
By Jack

1995 Ford Escort Hatchback GT 2dr Hatchback

I have owned a lot of cars including classics but this little one really shines. Engine really comes to life after 2800 RPM . 15" 60's tires & sport suspension make the car stick to the pavement, especially on winding roads. Bought this for $1,700 with Pwr moon roof, wdw,locks, & CC with only 60K. 1 owner car! Replace brakes & exhaust myself. Car has been real reliable and fun. Suspension is tight unlike reg Escorts so you'll feel the bumps a bit. Not the most refined drive train, but like I said fun to drive, and has guts! Very decent on gas & burns regular. So, what more do you want for the price. Great on the Hwy too! If you can find a good GT, buy it. They're hard to find!

Favorite Features

Handling, speed, & sunroof, 4 wheel disc. The engine is the Mazda 1.8 127HP. The same one in the Miata!

Suggested Improvements

They should make these GT's again. What a blast for the price.

The Everyday Scort
By TMoney

1995 Ford Escort Hatchback LX 2dr Hatchback

The Escort LX 2dr is a nice small car for a beginner or anyone. I was surprised how well it kept up with rush hour traffic. The 1.9 liter may be a small motor but it will move. The Escort is tight in steering which is good because it handles the corners well and it's very fun and easy to drive. It's easy to park. An Escort may not be like a real high performance sports car but it's still a nice dependable car. I currently drive my car to school and work and I'm happy to say that it's a good running car. Hard acceleration is zippy. It may not be as fast as some other cars but it'll do. Now I see so many Escorts around now it's like it's a popular compact car.

Favorite Features

Sporty looking exterior, gas mileage, trunk space, quiet at idle. Can be purchased with a power moonroof and windows along with speed control and ABS brakes.

Suggested Improvements

No arm rest.

My Pink Panther
By YanksPhish

1995 Ford Escort Hatchback LX 2dr Hatchback

My family has owned this car since '97 and have had very few problems with it. We've had no major problems. The mileage is excellent, even after 11 years. I always get at least 22 mpg, and when I drive on the highway I get 35 mpg. For this class of car I can't think of anything that I don't like about the car. Everything is set up to be user friendly by the driver. Easily viewable gauges, plenty of trunk space. There's about twice as much trunk space as many other 2 door coupes. I've never been in an accident, so I don't know how the car handles in these situations (knock on wood).

Favorite Features

Cruise control on an Escort is very nice on those long highway drives.

Suggested Improvements

I think they've made a few since this car was released...well actually they stopped making this car...now the Focus.

Great 1st or 2nd car
By Great 1st or 2nd car

1995 Ford Escort Hatchback LX 2dr Hatchback

This is a great economy car that will give you very little problems. In the 2 years that I have owned the car I have driven it from 100,000 to 155,000 miles with no problems at all besides routine maintenance like oil change, new tires and battery. The car will last a long time. For the price and the fact that this is an economy car it is perfect.

Favorite Features

Gas mileage, great handling, good speed for size of car. With care it will last a long time.

Suggested Improvements

I would say power but come on people this is a economy car; if you want power get a SUV, there's plenty of cars with power out there.

It's fast and a joy to ride
By Anton

1995 Ford Escort Hatchback GT 2dr Hatchback

This is my second Escort GT (manual transmission). Love the suspension which is pretty stiff. Also, when purchasing an old GT, look out for engine mounts, transmission mounts, and front and back shock mounts. They tend to go bad and for a better ride you might need to change them. Engine is perfect, Just so you know this is a Mazda engine and '92-'97 Mazda Miata has the same engine. It is noisy, but if you open the window at slow speeds you could hear the stock exhaust. Good bang for a buck. The ONLY used Escort worth considering buying is the GT with a manual tranny.