1995 Ford Escort Wagon - Consumer Reviews

LX 1.9L 4-cyl. 5-speed Manual - (22 reviews )
My Favorite car
By big scott on 10/22/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1995 Ford Escort Wagon LX 4dr Wagon

Most dependable car I have ever owned. Still has original spark plugs in it and still gets 33 mpg!

Good little car
By Yves St-Louis/Joe on 04/03/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1995 Ford Escort Wagon LX 4dr Wagon

I recommend this car to anybody who need good reliable economical basic transportation. After 125k other than normal maintenance the only part i changed was the alternator rear coil spring and front wheel bearings. But parts are not cheap Hope the focus is as good as this one

Only a crash could stop it!
By Bryant & Christy on 03/08/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1995 Ford Escort Wagon LX 4dr Wagon

155,000 miles and it was still going strong until it got t-boned at an intersection. It was driven pretty hard, over 80 miles a day on the highways at 65-75 mph. It had some significant repairs but overall it didn't have $18,000 in it over almost nine years including purchase price. An axle problem early on was covered under the warranty. The only long-term problem was a flaky electrical system. Recommend tires with higher heat rating to prevent wear if driven heavy.

Cheap, but tough
By brewster on 03/04/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1995 Ford Escort Wagon LX 4dr Wagon

We have owned this car since new, and it has become the car I love to hate. The hatchback/wagon design is immensely practical (why don't all brands have one?) and the mileage, at nearly 40mpg on the highway is great. Also, I agree with other reviewers that the drivetrain is as reliable as a hammer. Unfortunately, the interior noise level, complete lack of power, very weak brakes, and uncomfortable seats make this vehicle miserable to drive for any real length of time. Also, the quality of assembly is clearly lacking--doors don't fit right, wiring was faulty from new, etc.

good value, great on gas
By squeebles on 06/30/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1995 Ford Escort Wagon LX 4dr Wagon

a fine reliable vehicle for transporting kids and/or dogs around. This car has never left me stranded and I would recommend it to anyone at this price range.

Long live to my Escort!!!!!!
By Cesar SUV Lover on 04/28/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1995 Ford Escort Wagon LX 4dr Wagon

This car is a mini-SUV to me :). It does not have the horsepower needed to make it more fast in acceleration, but is the faster that i know, I made 110 miles in the highway at full throttle!!!, and i felt secure, no tend to roll, exelent handling. But when is time to reapir it, is very Xpensive, and it ate lots of bucks. My mother had a roll-over in it recently, we are repairing it, but is to costly saddly, we are thinking in buying extra car, I hope a MS 2K at least

Good Get Around Car
By escortdude on 04/22/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1995 Ford Escort Wagon LX 4dr Wagon

I bought a 1995 Escort in 98 when I was in college, and it took me from Missouri to the East Coast, Maryland to Maine, to the West Coast, back and forth several times, all with no major repairs except for the tranny. And let's face it, the trannies go out around 80 or 90k anyway. Betty the Red Escort was very reliable, had GREAT gas mileage, had GOOD pickup for a 4 banger, several tickets attest to that, and although my woman made fun of me for it, I enjoyed this car. I could haul a lot of stuff and barely had to refuel the tank. And she never left me stranded.

great on gas
By Cathy on 07/09/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1995 Ford Escort Wagon LX 4dr Wagon

Best car I have ever had for gas mileage and reliable performance. All manual five speed shift really has done what the label said upon purchase 38 mpg on highway and 30 mpg other.

Not what I expected
By danguy on 05/29/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1995 Ford Escort Wagon LX 4dr Wagon

We bought the car needing something to haul stuff in. While the car has been okay it has not lived up to my expectations. The paint on the rear bumper is badly oxidized and both rear seat belts stopped retracting after 3 years of owning it. Ford was no help in trying to get them fixed. The sprayers on the front windshield wipers won't stay in place. Worst experience has been dealing with Ford dealer and Ford help line. I'd think twice before buying a Ford again.

Pretty good
By tkdinOR on 04/02/02 00:00 AM (PST)

1995 Ford Escort Wagon LX 4dr Wagon

I have owned this car since 1997 (it's 95) and I have only changed a water pump. It has been pretty reliable. If you could the one with good records, it won't disappoint you.