1995 Ford Escort - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Escort model:
Great First Car
By DJ Fillman on 10/03/08 18:26 PM (PDT)

1995 Ford Escort LX 2dr Hatchback

I got my 1995 Escort LX Sport in July of 2007 with only 47,000 miles on it. I love the gas mileage it gets and it has reasonable power. In Jan of 2008 I was rear-ended with my car coming out on top. That just shows you that Ford knows how to build cars. I only had one major problem and that was when the clutch went out with 53,000 miles on it. Other than that my car has been great.

GT fun - big bang for the buck!
By Jack on 03/30/08 14:05 PM (PDT)

1995 Ford Escort GT 2dr Hatchback

I have owned a lot of cars including classics but this little one really shines. Engine really comes to life after 2800 RPM . 15" 60's tires & sport suspension make the car stick to the pavement, especially on winding roads. Bought this for $1,700 with Pwr moon roof, wdw,locks, & CC with only 60K. 1 owner car! Replace brakes & exhaust myself. Car has been real reliable and fun. Suspension is tight unlike reg Escorts so you'll feel the bumps a bit. Not the most refined drive train, but like I said fun to drive, and has guts! Very decent on gas & burns regular. So, what more do you want for the price. Great on the Hwy too! If you can find a good GT, buy it. They're hard to find!

Why buy anything newer?
By yellowtail3 on 02/19/08 07:30 AM (PST)

1995 Ford Escort LX 4dr Wagon

Good car, very low cost of operation. The wagon is roomy. If you're shopping for one, get the 5spd - it will give much better performance & fuel economy that the automatic. Wagon is roomy; think of it as a 35mpg SUV, without the ground clearance. Run tire pressure little high - 40psi or so, and drive gently - and you'll see regular high-30mpg in town, and over 40mpg on highway. It can be done, I've done it. Fairly easy to work on. Good ergonomics - the wheel/shifter/pedal relationship is good, much better than the '95 Caprice I owned prior to this one. Escort Wagons are a great used car value, if you find a 5spd.

Best Ever
By Scott on 07/03/07 10:21 AM (PDT)

1995 Ford Escort LX 4dr Wagon

Best car I ever owned! Got 33-34 mpg driving 75mph on freeways in Texas. Got up to 40mpg on 2 lane highways doing 55mph.

1995 Ford Escort 4dr sedan
By thumper7 on 06/10/07 14:53 PM (PDT)

1995 Ford Escort LX 4dr Sedan

This car gets great gas mileage and is pretty comfortable. The performance is OK. It takes a while to accelerate, but it turns good. Great for a first car or an extra

The Everyday Scort
By TMoney on 03/01/07 21:01 PM (PST)

1995 Ford Escort LX 2dr Hatchback

The Escort LX 2dr is a nice small car for a beginner or anyone. I was surprised how well it kept up with rush hour traffic. The 1.9 liter may be a small motor but it will move. The Escort is tight in steering which is good because it handles the corners well and it's very fun and easy to drive. It's easy to park. An Escort may not be like a real high performance sports car but it's still a nice dependable car. I currently drive my car to school and work and I'm happy to say that it's a good running car. Hard acceleration is zippy. It may not be as fast as some other cars but it'll do. Now I see so many Escorts around now it's like it's a popular compact car.

Little BIG Wagon
By ak on 02/13/07 11:16 AM (PST)

1995 Ford Escort LX 4dr Wagon

Bought in 2002 with 105K miles while in school. Was well maintained by previous owner. It currently has 155K miles and had to replace Alternator, Clutch, Tie rod ends, Rear Suspension, Front brakes, Cooling Fan and Thermostat so far. The last maintenance was at 130K miles and never had to do anything after that. I still consider this a extremely reliable car and still gives me 38mpg highway! The engine is rough and noisy, but will start in one try even on coldest days. Have made many long distance trips, a couple of them over 1500 miles one way, and this car has never ever left me stranded. Too bad have to sell it now, am sure the next owner will put another 50K miles easily on it!

Good basic car with basic problems
By Rich on 09/05/06 13:09 PM (PDT)

1995 Ford Escort LX 4dr Sedan

This is the third Escort I have owned. I have kept all for a long, long time. And this will be the last. Each seems to have taken a step down in quality. Strange engine creaks and rattles still plague this car. There was missing weatherstripping from day one, so the window leaks. And now, the exterior trim is peeling. There's no lip on the edge of the windshield, so when you use the washers it sprays in the driver's window. I've replaced most of the parts (including a FUEL TANK!) and hope the car lasts a few more months till I gather the cash to buy a new one. After this experience (and with another Ford) it will NOT be a Ford. Quality like this, no wonder they're in trouble.

My Pink Panther
By YanksPhish on 04/30/06 15:07 PM (PDT)

1995 Ford Escort LX 2dr Hatchback

My family has owned this car since '97 and have had very few problems with it. We've had no major problems. The mileage is excellent, even after 11 years. I always get at least 22 mpg, and when I drive on the highway I get 35 mpg. For this class of car I can't think of anything that I don't like about the car. Everything is set up to be user friendly by the driver. Easily viewable gauges, plenty of trunk space. There's about twice as much trunk space as many other 2 door coupes. I've never been in an accident, so I don't know how the car handles in these situations (knock on wood).

This CAR
By Figlar-Barnes on 10/10/05 22:26 PM (PDT)

1995 Ford Escort LX 4dr Wagon

I just had this car worked on and a blown head gasket was feared to be the problem, but it was a pitted area in the head--which was fixed easily. This car has 205,000 miles on it (bought new) and has had minimal problems--if all of Ford vehicles were like this one, Ford would not be having a problem with its value and quality compared to its competitors like Toyota. It makes me laugh when I hear new vehicle advertisements bragging about great gas mileage (28-32 miles to a gallon highway). This car consistently gets 37 to 42 miles per gallon highway. Imagine that, the car is 10 years old!