1995 Ford Escort Hatchback - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Escort model:
17 years; mint condition survivor
By mrebate on 08/06/12 12:02 PM (PDT)

1995 Ford Escort Hatchback LX 4dr Hatchback

170,000 miles. 2nd owner for 11 years and 100K. There would be many more of these on the road if the typical owner maintained them properly. AC never serviced and still blows ice. Orig exhaust still looking good. 4FEAT auto tranny works flawlessly due to regular fluid changes. Less orange peel than many newer cars. There have been a few erratic idle issues in the past 5 years. Rebuilt head installed in 2006 due to bad lifter, and to avoid valve seat failure issue some owners mention. I have calculated the TOTAL cost to own and operate (fixed and variable expenses) will be around 22 cents per mile, EVERY cost, including insurance and registration. I perform the maintenance

Trusted and Loved
By MAZORD on 07/23/10 14:57 PM (PDT)

1995 Ford Escort Hatchback GT 2dr Hatchback

I have owned two Escort GTs, and I LOVED both. There peppy when you want them to be and docile when you need them to be. I have NEVER had any problems with either one, and would faithfully drive anywhere no matter the distance in my GT that has OVER 200,000 miles on it. Decent interior with lots of trunk space gotta love hatchbacks, and decent leg room. ANYBODY that has ever ridden in an old eclipse will LOVE the back seats of these cars. Anybody that wants to have a fast car, the escort is the ultimate sleeper if you want to invest some money of course. check out Ford Escort Coswoths then investigate an engine called a BPT or a BPR both direct swaps for the escorts. 12 sec quarters or faster!

My Escort
By PWRSTRKEOGRE on 06/05/09 14:05 PM (PDT)

1995 Ford Escort Hatchback LX 2dr Hatchback

My escort was the best little two door car i've ever owned. I had a toyota corolla before and compared to the Ford Escort it was crap. It was running strong until some one beat on the hood. My battery waring light came on one day and i was drving and i was at a Wendys drive through and it died, i tried re starting it but it wouldnt turn over. I thought it was just a dead battery but it had wireing problems it said. I jump started it drove for about 1 mile and then it started to jump like you would push in the clutch then let it out while having the pedal to the metal. Ohter than that problem it has been the best vehicle ive owned and drove. Great MPG comfort and way fun to drive!!!

Great First Car
By DJ Fillman on 10/03/08 18:26 PM (PDT)

1995 Ford Escort Hatchback LX 2dr Hatchback

I got my 1995 Escort LX Sport in July of 2007 with only 47,000 miles on it. I love the gas mileage it gets and it has reasonable power. In Jan of 2008 I was rear-ended with my car coming out on top. That just shows you that Ford knows how to build cars. I only had one major problem and that was when the clutch went out with 53,000 miles on it. Other than that my car has been great.

GT fun - big bang for the buck!
By Jack on 03/30/08 14:05 PM (PDT)

1995 Ford Escort Hatchback GT 2dr Hatchback

I have owned a lot of cars including classics but this little one really shines. Engine really comes to life after 2800 RPM . 15" 60's tires & sport suspension make the car stick to the pavement, especially on winding roads. Bought this for $1,700 with Pwr moon roof, wdw,locks, & CC with only 60K. 1 owner car! Replace brakes & exhaust myself. Car has been real reliable and fun. Suspension is tight unlike reg Escorts so you'll feel the bumps a bit. Not the most refined drive train, but like I said fun to drive, and has guts! Very decent on gas & burns regular. So, what more do you want for the price. Great on the Hwy too! If you can find a good GT, buy it. They're hard to find!

The Everyday Scort
By TMoney on 03/01/07 21:01 PM (PST)

1995 Ford Escort Hatchback LX 2dr Hatchback

The Escort LX 2dr is a nice small car for a beginner or anyone. I was surprised how well it kept up with rush hour traffic. The 1.9 liter may be a small motor but it will move. The Escort is tight in steering which is good because it handles the corners well and it's very fun and easy to drive. It's easy to park. An Escort may not be like a real high performance sports car but it's still a nice dependable car. I currently drive my car to school and work and I'm happy to say that it's a good running car. Hard acceleration is zippy. It may not be as fast as some other cars but it'll do. Now I see so many Escorts around now it's like it's a popular compact car.

My Pink Panther
By YanksPhish on 04/30/06 15:07 PM (PDT)

1995 Ford Escort Hatchback LX 2dr Hatchback

My family has owned this car since '97 and have had very few problems with it. We've had no major problems. The mileage is excellent, even after 11 years. I always get at least 22 mpg, and when I drive on the highway I get 35 mpg. For this class of car I can't think of anything that I don't like about the car. Everything is set up to be user friendly by the driver. Easily viewable gauges, plenty of trunk space. There's about twice as much trunk space as many other 2 door coupes. I've never been in an accident, so I don't know how the car handles in these situations (knock on wood).

Great 1st or 2nd car
By Great 1st or 2nd car on 06/13/05 12:34 PM (PDT)

1995 Ford Escort Hatchback LX 2dr Hatchback

This is a great economy car that will give you very little problems. In the 2 years that I have owned the car I have driven it from 100,000 to 155,000 miles with no problems at all besides routine maintenance like oil change, new tires and battery. The car will last a long time. For the price and the fact that this is an economy car it is perfect.

It's fast and a joy to ride
By Anton on 05/19/05 08:12 AM (PDT)

1995 Ford Escort Hatchback GT 2dr Hatchback

This is my second Escort GT (manual transmission). Love the suspension which is pretty stiff. Also, when purchasing an old GT, look out for engine mounts, transmission mounts, and front and back shock mounts. They tend to go bad and for a better ride you might need to change them. Engine is perfect, Just so you know this is a Mazda engine and '92-'97 Mazda Miata has the same engine. It is noisy, but if you open the window at slow speeds you could hear the stock exhaust. Good bang for a buck. The ONLY used Escort worth considering buying is the GT with a manual tranny.

Most Reliable Car I've Ever Owned!
By AQ on 12/31/04 14:41 PM (PST)

1995 Ford Escort Hatchback 2dr Hatchback

I bought this car when I was in college. It was a Salvaged Title with only 3K miles on it. I drove it till a couple of years ago and donated it with 245K miles. NEVER HAD ANY DRIVETRAIN ISSUES! Barely changed oil every 15K miles, only problem I ever had was the alternator went bad, which I changed myself/ NO OTHER PROBLEMS. What a great car. Now I'm looking to buy another because of its reliability (for commute).