1995 Ford Escort - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Escort model:
Maybe My First Car but, Never Going to Give it Up!
By germanlover01 on 04/08/14 17:42 PM (PDT)

1995 Ford Escort LX 4dr Wagon

This car is an excellent car to own! Gotta love it! It's very realiable little car. Has a nice smooth ride as well as an easy car to shift whereas many other cars are harder. She is the most wonderful car ever. The battery in mine lasted seven years! On that day that it died she got me all the way to my destination on absolutely no charge! This car will give it all it's got to do what it has to do. No joke.

1995 escort wagon Automatic
By r0b2012 on 11/25/12 10:25 AM (PST)

1995 Ford Escort LX 4dr Wagon

Bought it used with 240000 km for $900 replaced inner tie rod because previos owner hit the curb. replaced exhaust pipe because I lent it to a friend and he went over a railroad track to hard. heater core leaked , so I cut a hole in the firewall and replaced it in an hour. Had trasmission filter changed without flushing just because its never been done. had to tighten up rocker box covers by puting in shorter bolts to stop oil leakage. I think the timing belt was replaced at 200000 km's Always starts on cold days -30 not plugged in. 30+ mpg or 25 city. everything else is original including spark plugs regular oil changes every 5000 km We have 2 kids in boosters Still going at 300000km.

Excellent Escort Wagon LX
By lonewlf118 on 06/22/09 05:52 AM (PDT)

1995 Ford Escort LX 4dr Wagon

The escort was one of the best and most reliable cars I have ever owned. It is a great utility car and rides equally as well.

A great little station wagon
By JJ on 06/17/09 20:21 PM (PDT)

1995 Ford Escort LX 4dr Wagon

We purchased this vehicle new in 1995 and we have kept up with the the oil changes every 3000 miles. Had only minor electrical problem in the beginning, but over all little maintenance was required. In 15 years only changed batteries, 2 set of tires and routine maintenance. Gas mileage is great in the city averages 24 on the open road averages 30.

Best Ford I've owned yet.
By Jackie on 04/01/09 23:19 PM (PDT)

1995 Ford Escort LX 4dr Wagon

I bought my Ford new in 1995.It was priced right got great gas mileage still does. I've never had any problems with it only regular maintenance. Hubby wants to buy me new car I said no.Love my car..

A Great Compact Car
By Paul Cox on 01/10/09 13:18 PM (PST)

1995 Ford Escort LX 4dr Wagon

I bought the car with 62k and it now has 122k. I've owned it for 7 years. I change the oil and filter every 4,000 miles. Other than normal maintenance items, I've replaced the timing belt, cooling fan, gas tank filler pipe, alternator, battery and front brake pads. The gas mileage is between 35-39 mpg. By far, this is the most economical and dependable car I've ever owned! I'm 63 years old and will never part with it!

Why buy anything newer?
By yellowtail3 on 02/19/08 07:30 AM (PST)

1995 Ford Escort LX 4dr Wagon

Good car, very low cost of operation. The wagon is roomy. If you're shopping for one, get the 5spd - it will give much better performance & fuel economy that the automatic. Wagon is roomy; think of it as a 35mpg SUV, without the ground clearance. Run tire pressure little high - 40psi or so, and drive gently - and you'll see regular high-30mpg in town, and over 40mpg on highway. It can be done, I've done it. Fairly easy to work on. Good ergonomics - the wheel/shifter/pedal relationship is good, much better than the '95 Caprice I owned prior to this one. Escort Wagons are a great used car value, if you find a 5spd.

Best Ever
By Scott on 07/03/07 10:21 AM (PDT)

1995 Ford Escort LX 4dr Wagon

Best car I ever owned! Got 33-34 mpg driving 75mph on freeways in Texas. Got up to 40mpg on 2 lane highways doing 55mph.

Little BIG Wagon
By ak on 02/13/07 11:16 AM (PST)

1995 Ford Escort LX 4dr Wagon

Bought in 2002 with 105K miles while in school. Was well maintained by previous owner. It currently has 155K miles and had to replace Alternator, Clutch, Tie rod ends, Rear Suspension, Front brakes, Cooling Fan and Thermostat so far. The last maintenance was at 130K miles and never had to do anything after that. I still consider this a extremely reliable car and still gives me 38mpg highway! The engine is rough and noisy, but will start in one try even on coldest days. Have made many long distance trips, a couple of them over 1500 miles one way, and this car has never ever left me stranded. Too bad have to sell it now, am sure the next owner will put another 50K miles easily on it!

This CAR
By Figlar-Barnes on 10/10/05 22:26 PM (PDT)

1995 Ford Escort LX 4dr Wagon

I just had this car worked on and a blown head gasket was feared to be the problem, but it was a pitted area in the head--which was fixed easily. This car has 205,000 miles on it (bought new) and has had minimal problems--if all of Ford vehicles were like this one, Ford would not be having a problem with its value and quality compared to its competitors like Toyota. It makes me laugh when I hear new vehicle advertisements bragging about great gas mileage (28-32 miles to a gallon highway). This car consistently gets 37 to 42 miles per gallon highway. Imagine that, the car is 10 years old!