Used 1995 Ford Escort GT Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1995 Ford Escort - Consumer Reviews

1995 Ford Escort

View reviews for a specific Escort model:

great little car
By mecal1100

1995 Ford Escort GT 2dr Hatchback

So far I have 201,000 on it and it needs a new clutch. Otherwise, I have had only minor issues. Reliability is fantastic (partly thanks to the Mazda 1.8L engine).

Trusted and Loved
By MAZORD

1995 Ford Escort GT 2dr Hatchback

I have owned two Escort GTs, and I LOVED both. There peppy when you want them to be and docile when you need them to be. I have NEVER had any problems with either one, and would faithfully drive anywhere no matter the distance in my GT that has OVER 200,000 miles on it. Decent interior with lots of trunk space gotta love hatchbacks, and decent leg room. ANYBODY that has ever ridden in an old eclipse will LOVE the back seats of these cars. Anybody that wants to have a fast car, the escort is the ultimate sleeper if you want to invest some money of course. check out Ford Escort Coswoths then investigate an engine called a BPT or a BPR both direct swaps for the escorts. 12 sec quarters or faster!

Favorite Features

I love it all but automatic seat belts are a pain.

Suggested Improvements

Bring them back with the fiesta RS engine LOL that would be awesome.

GT fun - big bang for the buck!
By Jack

1995 Ford Escort GT 2dr Hatchback

I have owned a lot of cars including classics but this little one really shines. Engine really comes to life after 2800 RPM . 15" 60's tires & sport suspension make the car stick to the pavement, especially on winding roads. Bought this for $1,700 with Pwr moon roof, wdw,locks, & CC with only 60K. 1 owner car! Replace brakes & exhaust myself. Car has been real reliable and fun. Suspension is tight unlike reg Escorts so you'll feel the bumps a bit. Not the most refined drive train, but like I said fun to drive, and has guts! Very decent on gas & burns regular. So, what more do you want for the price. Great on the Hwy too! If you can find a good GT, buy it. They're hard to find!

Favorite Features

Handling, speed, & sunroof, 4 wheel disc. The engine is the Mazda 1.8 127HP. The same one in the Miata!

Suggested Improvements

They should make these GT's again. What a blast for the price.

It's fast and a joy to ride
By Anton

1995 Ford Escort GT 2dr Hatchback

This is my second Escort GT (manual transmission). Love the suspension which is pretty stiff. Also, when purchasing an old GT, look out for engine mounts, transmission mounts, and front and back shock mounts. They tend to go bad and for a better ride you might need to change them. Engine is perfect, Just so you know this is a Mazda engine and '92-'97 Mazda Miata has the same engine. It is noisy, but if you open the window at slow speeds you could hear the stock exhaust. Good bang for a buck. The ONLY used Escort worth considering buying is the GT with a manual tranny.

I love my GT
By A.J.

1995 Ford Escort GT 2dr Hatchback

My Escort GT has been an excellent car for nearly ten years. It is fun to drive plus I can throw just about anything in the back. I feel it's as functional as an SUV but much more fun to drive.