Great little car
By John on
1994 Ford Escort LX 4dr Wagon
I bought this used with 40k in 1997 and it now has 230k. A very reliable car. There is no new car that gets 39MPG hwy and is as functional at such a low cost to own. I appreciate that most features are manual (5spd, windows, heater/ac controls) yet still has many conveniences that were very well thought out (see below). I'm glad it DOESN'T have annoying modern features like automatic dome lights (did I leave that on???) and automated door locks (did my car just lock me out???) I always fixed problems and changed oil at 3000mi and the engine still runs strong. Needs shocks which are expensive and is getting rusty in places from northern winters so this might be the end of the road.
Favorite Features
MPG!! Was 39hwy, now 34. Well thought out cabin. Radio stays on when turning off the ignition one click but then TURNS OFF with the second click. Ignition light, hood light, rear wiper, power mirrors, smooth ride, relatively quiet cabin, tracks VERY well and requires very little correction.
Suggested Improvements
tilt/telescope steering, center arm rest, manual seat raise/lower (Focus now has this), more lumbar support. Tie rod ends wore out quickly but replacements aren't too expensive. Be sure to replace the timing belt every 100k as regular maintenance or you will be sorry.