Used 1994 Ford Escort Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1994 Ford Escort - Consumer Reviews

1994 Ford Escort

View reviews for a specific Escort model:

Love this car...sometimes...
By Need 4 Speed

1994 Ford Escort LX 2dr Hatchback

I've had my Escort for almost a year now. I love it, except for when things go wrong or when there's people in the car with me. The car is great when you're alone and is reliable (some of the time) - you wont want this car when it has problems, one problem leads to another. All of my problems are because of up keep (bought the car not even thinking about it). It's in the shop as I speak. It's shifting rough and the engine is sputtering. I don't know? I was also driving without a outer tie rod and stabilizer link a few months ago. I've learned if you want an Escort, keep the maintenance up. Spark plugs, fluids, clean fuel, etc. This is why my car has everything wrong with it; otherwise good car

Favorite Features

Alloy wheels and spoiler, colorful pattern in the seats, seatbelts, hatch, cheap gas - $25 to fill with gas as expensive as it is.

Suggested Improvements

Make a larger and more peppy Escort hatchback. Make it more durable too, the door got stuck and I ripped it open and bent the fender. ;( Low maintenance too. My sister bought a '92 Beretta for $600 and put 10k miles on it and not one problem like this. i bought it for $2,000 and put $3,000 in it.

Reliable old Ford
By deec

1994 Ford Escort 2dr Hatchback

My Ford Escort is 12 years old and still running great. It had only had 2 problems before it hit the ten year mark: the alternator and the fan. The fan was covered under warranty, and the alternator cost less than $200 to fix. Now, it needs things fixed regularly, but the repairs are still fairly inexpensive. This car is the best purchase I've ever made - cheap and dependable. Also, it's a manual, so it has some acceleration. It handles well and is fun to drive. For many years, it got 40 mpg on the highway, but now it's down to 35. This is the Energizer Bunny of cars.

Favorite Features

I like the upholstery, and the seats are very comfortable. I also like the fact that it doesn't have a lot of extras - it's got cranks for the windows, for example. Less stuff to break.

Suggested Improvements

The little clips that hold the seatbelts at the bottoms of the front seats have broken. Also, the cup holders are kind of useless.

It has been a great little car
By Scott R

1994 Ford Escort LX 2dr Hatchback

200,400 miles and 11 years! I changed oil every 3,000 miles, waxed twice per year and use Chevron Supreme. Dash lights have not worked for about 5 years, but it still runs and rides great. 3 sets of tires, 2 brake jobs and 2 timing belts. With that, I could not of done better with any other car manufacturer. It will be a sad day when I trade it in ... I mean 11 years!

Favorite Features

The Electric Blue color, alloys and spoiler have always looked great!

I liked it until...
By x2b4

1994 Ford Escort LX 4dr Wagon

This car has been fine since I bought it, but with only 55,000 miles the darn thing died on me last week. The poorly made engine had a problem with a cylinder head, and now the thing is dead.

Favorite Features

Cargo space definitely, and manual transmission.

Suggested Improvements

Build it more solidly and make better engines.

Nice little wagon
By Eric

1994 Ford Escort LX 4dr Wagon

We purchased our Escort wagon used, with approximately 35K miles, from a local Toyota dealer. It was my wife's daily driver for seven years and it never gave her a problem. Two years ago it became my stepson's car and it continues to be an economical and reliable vehicle. With regular maintenance, a Ford Escort of this vintage will reward you as an economical and fun-to-drive car. Our car has needed the typical replacement items over the years such as brake pads, batteries, plugs, and bulbs. Unfortunately, I also had to replace the heater core recently (which is a monstrous job), marring an otherwise excellent history of reliability. Overall, our Escort has been a great little car.