1994 Ford Escort - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Escort model:
Best and Most Reliable Car
By Matt on 08/25/05 18:35 PM (PDT)

1994 Ford Escort GT 2dr Hatchback

Best car I've ever owned. It has 199k miles on it and has never had any problems, except for the driver's side power window (regulator broke twice so i converted both windows to manual). Only basic items, i.e., a few timing belts, radiator, few sets of brakes. Believe it or not it has the ORIGINAL clutch and it is perfect. The best car I've ever owned.

Love It and I Have a Heavy Foot
By Toy Soldier on 07/19/05 16:00 PM (PDT)

1994 Ford Escort LX 2dr Hatchback

I bought it used with 10K miles on it for my ex in '95, but needless to say I have it now. It runs well. I have placed it in the shop twice for acceptable repairs - starter and clutch. The suspension is a little soft so handling sudden swerves might cause some zig-zagging for control afterwards (learned that the hard way) :). All in all it is a reliable car with a strong core and years of engineering behind it. My A/C sprung a leak (in 2000) behind the dash ($800 to replace the entire system). Outside of that it is a great starter car.

Great first car!
By Bryan on 07/14/05 22:53 PM (PDT)

1994 Ford Escort LX 4dr Sedan

This car was given to me last June and has been an exceptional first car. It was in great condition and still is. For an 11-year-old car, I am impressed by how well the A/C and heat work. It can be loud, and it loses a lot of power going uphill, but that's a small engine for you. Last summer, my mom and I went from KY to NY state with lots of luggage and the A/C running, but it did not miss a beat. It said it was hot, but it didn't seem to be. Everything works except delayed wiper feature. I've only replaced a battery connector. It is also surprisingly good in snow. I'm impressed with this Ford, but I'll probably go Toyota next time. It may have a few flaws, but it is still a nice car.

my baby
By DANNY on 02/04/05 03:15 AM (PST)

1994 Ford Escort LX 2dr Hatchback

I bought my 'Scorty in '94. Since she's been truckin' on my side the whole time. I've driven everything, and for a short period of time i sold cars and compared to everything i had this has been the BEST. The manual transmission is nothing other than smooth. This car has always been at my side and I would recomend a 'Scorty for anyone who's looking for a GREAT DEAL. A lotta car for this little coupe!

most reliable car I've ever owned
By dot29 on 08/20/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1994 Ford Escort LX 4dr Wagon

At 200k+ miles, this ten-yr.-old wagon still runs like a champ. Apart from normal maintenance, it has not required any big-ticket repairs. No frills, but good heat/AC, good cargo space, and surprising get-up-and-go. Perfect for errands around town.

Very Good Car
By dspruill4 on 07/11/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1994 Ford Escort LX 4dr Wagon

I had bought these car in 2000. I have not had anything go wrong, except for the battery. Very good car

Awesome
By BuckSatan on 06/29/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1994 Ford Escort LX 4dr Sedan

I got this car 5 yrs ago and unfortunatly I'm getting rid of it soon. It's been a wonderful, relyable car since the day I bought it. Few minor fixes and maintenance along the way, but nothing thats not expected from a car that was 8-9 yrs old at the time and never had that maintenance. Its got 96k miles on it and I would definatly expect it to last at least another 50 if its taken care of. Outside of oil changes and tire rotations I've probably had it in the shop for repairs twice. Pretty good in my opinion when I bought the car after it was 5 yrs old. It would be a definate good buy for a first time driver.

spend your money elsewhere
By kjlnjlnnminoimiojmip on 03/16/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1994 Ford Escort LX 2dr Hatchback

maybe its jsut the particular car i got, but ive had nothing but trouble with it. 500 miles into my ownership, the ac goes out. dealer replaces compressor (for exorbitant price of $400) but radiator starts leaking. my freakin' speedometer doesnt even work! even though ive heard of lots of people that have loved this car, i see no reason to spend the money on it. why bother when you can get a comparable civic (better reliability and mileage) for about a grand more?

Great Transportation
By BrianCHenson on 02/11/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1994 Ford Escort LX 2dr Hatchback

I bought this car brand new. (with 38 miles) I have had this car for 10 years now, and could not have asked for a better built or more reliable car. It has 200,000 miles on it, and I have not had to do a single repair to the motor. Everything on the car is original (excluding brakes and tires) This car is so dependible I would put my 79 year old grandmother in it to drive acrossed country with no worries.

dependable/ good value
By island rose on 01/27/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1994 Ford Escort LX 4dr Wagon

I get 28-34 mpg, have had very few mechanical problems, good stability in difficult, almost accidents. very inexpensive transportation for cost per miles, including purchase price. Has lots of room for hauling things around.