Used 1994 Ford Escort Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1994 Ford Escort - Consumer Reviews

LX 1.9L 4-cyl. 5-speed Manual - (7 reviews )

The car that keeps on giving
By sfensler

1994 Ford Escort Sedan LX 4dr Sedan

Just did a cross country IN to DC avg 35 mpg-200 lb luggage and 450 lb passengers. Even the newest cars don't get that good of mileage. Rides nice with GOOD tires. 5 speed manual make it fun. All interior and exterior mechanics still work. Made some of the repairs mentioned plus new fuel injectors. I keep working of the rust above the rear wheels so maybe I can keep this GOOD little car for a few more years. Added cruise control works as good as factory at a fraction of the price. Don't forget to downshift early on the hills.

Favorite Features

GREAT gas mileage (avg 35 have seen 44. Not uncomfortable on a long trip. Great size for getting around town.

Suggested Improvements

FORD start making the equivalent again!

Best car ever
By Jason

1994 Ford Escort Sedan LX 4dr Sedan

Overall, the best car I have ever owned, hands down. I am the original owner, and have close to 250K on it. I'm not religious about oil changes every 3000, but I get to them eventually. There's plenty of power in the manual trans 1.9 engine, I can pull steep grades with a full load of passengers & luggage running in 4th gear. I'm on my 5th set of tires, 4th windshield (darn rocks), 3rd water pump (they go after about 120K, easy fix tho), 2nd radiator (replaced at 210K), 5th timing belt. Those are all pretty minor, even expected things. The engine, manual trans, A/C, suspension, body, interior, all have been rock solid.

Favorite Features

Power mirrors; comfortable steering wheel; fold down rear seats; power in manual transmission model

Suggested Improvements

Cooling system was a little suspect, was a little gummy, eventually had to replace the radiator. Had to replace heater core at 44K. Bigger interior (I'm a big guy). Roof rack rails eventually got sun damaged and cracked.

Great first car!
By Bryan

1994 Ford Escort Sedan LX 4dr Sedan

This car was given to me last June and has been an exceptional first car. It was in great condition and still is. For an 11-year-old car, I am impressed by how well the A/C and heat work. It can be loud, and it loses a lot of power going uphill, but that's a small engine for you. Last summer, my mom and I went from KY to NY state with lots of luggage and the A/C running, but it did not miss a beat. It said it was hot, but it didn't seem to be. Everything works except delayed wiper feature. I've only replaced a battery connector. It is also surprisingly good in snow. I'm impressed with this Ford, but I'll probably go Toyota next time. It may have a few flaws, but it is still a nice car.

Favorite Features

CD player (aftermarket), folding back seats, interior design, variable intermittent wipers, surprisingly excellent and fast heat and A/C, great gas mileage, power mirrors.

Suggested Improvements

Less rattly interior, more comfortable seats, less noise, slightly better engine cooling system.

Awesome
By BuckSatan

1994 Ford Escort Sedan LX 4dr Sedan

I got this car 5 yrs ago and unfortunatly I'm getting rid of it soon. It's been a wonderful, relyable car since the day I bought it. Few minor fixes and maintenance along the way, but nothing thats not expected from a car that was 8-9 yrs old at the time and never had that maintenance. Its got 96k miles on it and I would definatly expect it to last at least another 50 if its taken care of. Outside of oil changes and tire rotations I've probably had it in the shop for repairs twice. Pretty good in my opinion when I bought the car after it was 5 yrs old. It would be a definate good buy for a first time driver.

Favorite Features

Low maintenance, abundant parts, great gas milage.

94 Escort
By 94fordman

1994 Ford Escort Sedan LX 4dr Sedan

this car is not a bad car to drive

Favorite Features

none

Suggested Improvements

more power better fuel economy