Used 1994 Ford Escort LX Hatchback Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1994 Ford Escort - Consumer Reviews

1994 Ford Escort Hatchback

View reviews for a specific Escort model:

Fun but UGLY
By Jalop

1994 Ford Escort Hatchback LX 2dr Hatchback

i havent owned the vehicle long, but it has been in my family since it was less than a year old. has been very very reliable. survived 4 wrecks. the a/c went out and requires about $350 in repairs to get it fixed. most everything in the a/c went out at the same time. it has to be one of the ugliest cars i have ever owned. horrible interior design.

Favorite Features

honestly the only feature i like about the car is the fact that it is a manual transmission. other than that nothing special.

Suggested Improvements

drive it only after dark, they are ugly! have fun with them if you have to be seen in it during the day. they are sort of quick and i have outran hondas and some other imports

Nice car, can be a nightmare though...
By HOTCAR

1994 Ford Escort Hatchback LX 2dr Hatchback

My 1.9 liter Escort is extremely peppy, but here's some advice for people who are going to buy one. Don't gun it at green lights and stop signs. The head gasket is 95% common to blow in these cars. I learned the hard way burning people at green lights, although itís tempting. Gas mileage is iffy, cheap to fill, but the mileage is poor. It goes quick. Auto seatbelts broke too. I take care of it as much as I can, but it rusts. I love the car but what can I do?

Favorite Features

Seatbelt (when they worked), zippy motor, radiant colors, alloys and spoiler, accent colors on the seats, the horn!

Suggested Improvements

Sheet metal, better quality parts that last

14 years, going, and going...
By Ivo

1994 Ford Escort Hatchback LX 2dr Hatchback

I got excellent deal on this lease return from Ford dealership, with 45000 miles in 1997. For ten years and 90k I don't think I spent more than $2500 on maintenance and repairs, not more than two of which wouldn't be considered regular wear and tear. Engine still runs smoothly and quietly. I now have to replace the clutch, which I blame mostly on my driving habits (like holding the car still uphill by balancing the clutch, instead of using brakes). I am just reluctant replacing the car, afraid that with a next one, I will pay back for all the good experience I had with this one.

Favorite Features

Gas mileage, street parking, cargo space.

Suggested Improvements

I adjusted my expectations when I decided to go with basic economy car, so, none.

Love this car...sometimes...
By Need 4 Speed

1994 Ford Escort Hatchback LX 2dr Hatchback

I've had my Escort for almost a year now. I love it, except for when things go wrong or when there's people in the car with me. The car is great when you're alone and is reliable (some of the time) - you wont want this car when it has problems, one problem leads to another. All of my problems are because of up keep (bought the car not even thinking about it). It's in the shop as I speak. It's shifting rough and the engine is sputtering. I don't know? I was also driving without a outer tie rod and stabilizer link a few months ago. I've learned if you want an Escort, keep the maintenance up. Spark plugs, fluids, clean fuel, etc. This is why my car has everything wrong with it; otherwise good car

Favorite Features

Alloy wheels and spoiler, colorful pattern in the seats, seatbelts, hatch, cheap gas - $25 to fill with gas as expensive as it is.

Suggested Improvements

Make a larger and more peppy Escort hatchback. Make it more durable too, the door got stuck and I ripped it open and bent the fender. ;( Low maintenance too. My sister bought a '92 Beretta for $600 and put 10k miles on it and not one problem like this. i bought it for $2,000 and put $3,000 in it.

It has been a great little car
By Scott R

1994 Ford Escort Hatchback LX 2dr Hatchback

200,400 miles and 11 years! I changed oil every 3,000 miles, waxed twice per year and use Chevron Supreme. Dash lights have not worked for about 5 years, but it still runs and rides great. 3 sets of tires, 2 brake jobs and 2 timing belts. With that, I could not of done better with any other car manufacturer. It will be a sad day when I trade it in ... I mean 11 years!

Favorite Features

The Electric Blue color, alloys and spoiler have always looked great!