1994 Ford Escort Hatchback - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Escort model:
Fun but UGLY
By Jalop on 05/28/09 18:12 PM (PDT)

1994 Ford Escort Hatchback LX 2dr Hatchback

i havent owned the vehicle long, but it has been in my family since it was less than a year old. has been very very reliable. survived 4 wrecks. the a/c went out and requires about $350 in repairs to get it fixed. most everything in the a/c went out at the same time. it has to be one of the ugliest cars i have ever owned. horrible interior design.

Nice car, can be a nightmare though...
By HOTCAR on 07/07/07 15:08 PM (PDT)

1994 Ford Escort Hatchback LX 2dr Hatchback

My 1.9 liter Escort is extremely peppy, but here's some advice for people who are going to buy one. Don't gun it at green lights and stop signs. The head gasket is 95% common to blow in these cars. I learned the hard way burning people at green lights, although itís tempting. Gas mileage is iffy, cheap to fill, but the mileage is poor. It goes quick. Auto seatbelts broke too. I take care of it as much as I can, but it rusts. I love the car but what can I do?

14 years, going, and going...
By Ivo on 02/28/07 14:51 PM (PST)

1994 Ford Escort Hatchback LX 2dr Hatchback

I got excellent deal on this lease return from Ford dealership, with 45000 miles in 1997. For ten years and 90k I don't think I spent more than $2500 on maintenance and repairs, not more than two of which wouldn't be considered regular wear and tear. Engine still runs smoothly and quietly. I now have to replace the clutch, which I blame mostly on my driving habits (like holding the car still uphill by balancing the clutch, instead of using brakes). I am just reluctant replacing the car, afraid that with a next one, I will pay back for all the good experience I had with this one.

Love this car...sometimes...
By Need 4 Speed on 06/01/06 21:24 PM (PDT)

1994 Ford Escort Hatchback LX 2dr Hatchback

I've had my Escort for almost a year now. I love it, except for when things go wrong or when there's people in the car with me. The car is great when you're alone and is reliable (some of the time) - you wont want this car when it has problems, one problem leads to another. All of my problems are because of up keep (bought the car not even thinking about it). It's in the shop as I speak. It's shifting rough and the engine is sputtering. I don't know? I was also driving without a outer tie rod and stabilizer link a few months ago. I've learned if you want an Escort, keep the maintenance up. Spark plugs, fluids, clean fuel, etc. This is why my car has everything wrong with it; otherwise good car

It has been a great little car
By Scott R on 01/28/06 17:17 PM (PST)

1994 Ford Escort Hatchback LX 2dr Hatchback

200,400 miles and 11 years! I changed oil every 3,000 miles, waxed twice per year and use Chevron Supreme. Dash lights have not worked for about 5 years, but it still runs and rides great. 3 sets of tires, 2 brake jobs and 2 timing belts. With that, I could not of done better with any other car manufacturer. It will be a sad day when I trade it in ... I mean 11 years!

Love It and I Have a Heavy Foot
By Toy Soldier on 07/19/05 16:00 PM (PDT)

1994 Ford Escort Hatchback LX 2dr Hatchback

I bought it used with 10K miles on it for my ex in '95, but needless to say I have it now. It runs well. I have placed it in the shop twice for acceptable repairs - starter and clutch. The suspension is a little soft so handling sudden swerves might cause some zig-zagging for control afterwards (learned that the hard way) :). All in all it is a reliable car with a strong core and years of engineering behind it. My A/C sprung a leak (in 2000) behind the dash ($800 to replace the entire system). Outside of that it is a great starter car.

my baby
By DANNY on 02/04/05 03:15 AM (PST)

1994 Ford Escort Hatchback LX 2dr Hatchback

I bought my 'Scorty in '94. Since she's been truckin' on my side the whole time. I've driven everything, and for a short period of time i sold cars and compared to everything i had this has been the BEST. The manual transmission is nothing other than smooth. This car has always been at my side and I would recomend a 'Scorty for anyone who's looking for a GREAT DEAL. A lotta car for this little coupe!

spend your money elsewhere
By kjlnjlnnminoimiojmip on 03/16/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1994 Ford Escort Hatchback LX 2dr Hatchback

maybe its jsut the particular car i got, but ive had nothing but trouble with it. 500 miles into my ownership, the ac goes out. dealer replaces compressor (for exorbitant price of $400) but radiator starts leaking. my freakin' speedometer doesnt even work! even though ive heard of lots of people that have loved this car, i see no reason to spend the money on it. why bother when you can get a comparable civic (better reliability and mileage) for about a grand more?

Great Transportation
By BrianCHenson on 02/11/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1994 Ford Escort Hatchback LX 2dr Hatchback

I bought this car brand new. (with 38 miles) I have had this car for 10 years now, and could not have asked for a better built or more reliable car. It has 200,000 miles on it, and I have not had to do a single repair to the motor. Everything on the car is original (excluding brakes and tires) This car is so dependible I would put my 79 year old grandmother in it to drive acrossed country with no worries.

FORD
By Drives'em Fast! on 11/08/02 00:00 AM (PST)

1994 Ford Escort Hatchback LX 2dr Hatchback

I bought this car back in august for 1200. This was my first car, and i didn't expect much from a ford. All the car needed was new brakes, sounded like a school bus coming down the street. After that, it runs great. 5 Speed manual trans. gives good acceration, especially for a 4 banger, execpt with ac on!