Used 1994 Ford Escort GT Hatchback Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1994 Ford Escort - Consumer Reviews

1994 Ford Escort Hatchback

View reviews for a specific Escort model:

Fun car
By eric

1994 Ford Escort Hatchback GT 2dr Hatchback

Love this little car. Wish I still had it. Hit a deer. Still driveable but looked like crap. Bought the car in 1999 with 54,000 miles and drove it till 170,000 mile when I got rid of it. Best car I ever had. Fast little thing also. Only Grand Am or Grand Prix I could find that could keep up was the one with the supercharged motor. All the others fell behind. The only problem I had was brakes, ball joints, cluch, rear bearings. All replaced once. Lost third gear in trans, never did get it fixed. I just went from second to fourth. I would tell anyone to get the GT. Do not get the auto, go form the manual

Favorite Features

Quick, fun to drive. looking for another one.

Suggested Improvements

Better cup holders

Best and Most Reliable Car
By Matt

1994 Ford Escort Hatchback GT 2dr Hatchback

Best car I've ever owned. It has 199k miles on it and has never had any problems, except for the driver's side power window (regulator broke twice so i converted both windows to manual). Only basic items, i.e., a few timing belts, radiator, few sets of brakes. Believe it or not it has the ORIGINAL clutch and it is perfect. The best car I've ever owned.

Favorite Features

Gas mileage is great. It's pretty peppy for a 4 cylinder. The a/c is ice cold.

Suggested Improvements

Power windows are horrible, they weaken after time and then the plastic cable snaps. Cup holders are in a bad spot.

Impresive Great Car
By IOM

1994 Ford Escort Hatchback GT 2dr Hatchback

This is the second 1994 Escort GT I owned. Both cars have been simply great. I could not resist buying in OCT/2001 my second '94 GT, it only had 40,800 miles. Today JAN/2003 the car is 9 years old and 50,400 miles and in perfect condition. So far I only replaced the original Goodyear GT+4 tires for excellent Goodyear Aquatred 3. I got new ceramic brake pads (no black dust!) on all wheels. My only complaint is that the driver power window is working slow, probably an early indication of failure. It is a lot of fun to see how many new 4 cylinder cars still fall behind my GT when drag racing.

Favorite Features

Very peppy engine. Good suspension stability. Good gas mileage on city and great on highway. Fitting stuff in the car is no problem. Remember, this is a hatchback!

Suggested Improvements

If a new Escort generation is ever created, it should be done based on the '94 GT spirit not the later used soap and slow generation that followed.

Wonderful 2nd car!
By 506nc

1994 Ford Escort Hatchback GT 2dr Hatchback

I bought my 94' a year ago to drive back and forth to work. And save miles off of my truck. This car pays for itself in fuel savings. I drive 22 miles each way to work, and 80% of that is interstate, I am getting an average of 37 mpg, and have gotten as much as 40! But when the A/C is on, the power goes. But that is expected of a 4 banger.

Favorite Features

Gas mileage.

Suggested Improvements

cup holders, manual belts. power belts only work 1/2 the time now.

Great Car
By SD

1994 Ford Escort Hatchback GT 2dr Hatchback

I've just loved my Escort GT! It's been reliable, fun and durable.

Favorite Features

GT engine is "peppy", premium sound is good, best A/C I've had in a car