Used 1994 Ford Escort Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1994 Ford Escort - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Escort model:

1994 Ford Escort - Automatic
By parkspro

1994 Ford Escort LX 4dr Wagon

I've been driving this car for awhile, and it works wonders. I've never had any problems with it, and it holds up to regular wear-and-tear very well. It's lasted for 97k miles, and from what I've seen with friends (and the one my family used to have), It'll last for over double that. I'd recommend this for anyone that needs a bit more room than your average sedan or coupe, but still want over 30mpg. (There is no option for the Automatic version, so I had to put it under the 5-speed one.)

The car that keeps on giving
By sfensler

1994 Ford Escort LX 4dr Sedan

Just did a cross country IN to DC avg 35 mpg-200 lb luggage and 450 lb passengers. Even the newest cars don't get that good of mileage. Rides nice with GOOD tires. 5 speed manual make it fun. All interior and exterior mechanics still work. Made some of the repairs mentioned plus new fuel injectors. I keep working of the rust above the rear wheels so maybe I can keep this GOOD little car for a few more years. Added cruise control works as good as factory at a fraction of the price. Don't forget to downshift early on the hills.

GREAT gas mileage (avg 35 have seen 44. Not uncomfortable on a long trip. Great size for getting around town.

FORD start making the equivalent again!

Just keeps going
By cracker

1994 Ford Escort LX 4dr Hatchback

I bought my escort in 2004 with 111.000 miles on it, currently has 172.000 on it and all i can say is it has been one heck of a car, some of my trouble areas was the pump in the transmission went out at 118.000 miles which caused the whole transmission to have to be rebuilt, which if i would have replaced the pump when it started whining it may still be original idk. the a/c and heat have stopped working, but other than that the car just keeps running, no leaks, doesn't use oil, i let the car set for 1 and a half years just got it back on the road a few weeks and runs as good as ever,no problems. but i really like my 'scort and would buy another one.

looks, comfortable on trips and joy riding, reliability, rides excellent

Better heating and a/c system. Better transmission. Better mpg

94 Wagon
By TAZKBJR

1994 Ford Escort LX 4dr Wagon

My dad bought this car from my grandmother when she got a new one in October 2004. I have been driving it now for 2 years (riding in it since July 94, when it was bought!) this is an awesome car for how old it is! Also, it has less than 60,000 miles on it. When my dad bought it, it had like 35,000. In 6 years, we have put on close to 35,000. I love this car. It's very easy to drive, and great on gas. 24/29 mpg. May not be the "coolest" or "most hot" looking car. But it has held up for me. Only problem is. Had to replace fuel pump, tank vents, evap. solenoid. Other than that. It still runs great! My sister gets it once I get a new car. Oh no! :)

seats are comfy nice size back seat driver sits up higher to see over the hood big area to see out the back

Well, considering Ford no longer makes this car. I don't know why they stopped it. My suggestions don't really matter. But I don't think that I really have any. The car is 16 years old and runs wonderfully!

Great little car
By John

1994 Ford Escort LX 4dr Wagon

I bought this used with 40k in 1997 and it now has 230k. A very reliable car. There is no new car that gets 39MPG hwy and is as functional at such a low cost to own. I appreciate that most features are manual (5spd, windows, heater/ac controls) yet still has many conveniences that were very well thought out (see below). I'm glad it DOESN'T have annoying modern features like automatic dome lights (did I leave that on???) and automated door locks (did my car just lock me out???) I always fixed problems and changed oil at 3000mi and the engine still runs strong. Needs shocks which are expensive and is getting rusty in places from northern winters so this might be the end of the road.

MPG!! Was 39hwy, now 34. Well thought out cabin. Radio stays on when turning off the ignition one click but then TURNS OFF with the second click. Ignition light, hood light, rear wiper, power mirrors, smooth ride, relatively quiet cabin, tracks VERY well and requires very little correction.

tilt/telescope steering, center arm rest, manual seat raise/lower (Focus now has this), more lumbar support. Tie rod ends wore out quickly but replacements aren't too expensive. Be sure to replace the timing belt every 100k as regular maintenance or you will be sorry.

• SUV