1993 Ford Escort Base Hatchback Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1993 Ford Escort - Consumer Reviews

1993 Escort Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Escort model:

Sort Reviews by

More than you paid for
By Roadkill

1993 Ford Escort Hatchback LX 4dr Hatchback

Been driving this car for 50,000 miles and haven't spent a dime on it except for regular maintenance. Alas it's too weak to drive on the highway with more than one person in the car, but if you spend most of your time in the city, you can't do better bang for your buck. Highway fuel economy averages to 35 mpg.

Favorite Features

hatchback increases cargo room considerably, reliability

Suggested Improvements

more power (added in later models), more responsive steering

Great First Car!!!
By bbajaj

1993 Ford Escort Hatchback LX 2dr Hatchback

This car was bought brand new to be my "college car". Couldn't have asked for anything better. Although, I think a manual transmission is necessary. My girlfriend had a '95 auto, and she sold because her second tranny went out at 110,000. Her original tranny went out at 60,000 miles, which I hear is common with Fords. But with the manual, no problems there. Mine now has 110,000 miles on it and has been fairly reliable. No major problems, only maintenance for normal wear and tear. I would suggest this car to anyone who needs to get from point A to point B at a very affordable price.

Favorite Features

Roomy, good looking Hatchback, very affordable (brought it brand new in '92 for $11,000) fuel economy, heavy doors.

Suggested Improvements

Reliable Automatic Transmissions!!! Bad re-sale value. Better headlights.

Great Economical Car
By mreniceguy

1993 Ford Escort Hatchback LX 2dr Hatchback

Ever since I've had my car, I have been impressed for the value. I have only had to make some minor repairs along the way but so far it's performed better than I expected. The gas mileage is great, especially since I drive a lot between my home town and where I am currently working. A one way trip is about 215 miles. I've put a lot of miles on my car since I've had it and I can't complain. A great car for your money

Favorite Features

The hatchback with the folding rear seats. I was able to fit all of my stuff into my car to move up to college. I couldn't believe how much stuff I could put into that car.

Suggested Improvements

N/A

MY LITTLE GT
By JWILLI

1993 Ford Escort Hatchback GT 2dr Hatchback

I BOUGHT THIS CAR WITH 65,000 MILES ON IT. THIS CAR IS SO MUCH FUN TO DRIVE. I PUT 40,000 MILES ON IT IN JUST A YEAR AND A HALF. WHAT A GREAT CAR. FUN TO DRIVE.GREAT TO LOOK AT.0 PROBLEMS SO FAR. CAR IS 10 YEARS OLD.PAINT LOOKS BRAND NEW, NO RUST. AWESOME SHAPE 105,000 MILES ON IT AND STILL FEELS VERY STONG. I'VE BLOWN AWAY LOTS OF TEENS DRIVIN THERE SUPED UP CIVICS AND ACCORDS. YOU SHOULD SEE MY SMILE!!

Favorite Features

16 VALVE DOHC ENGINE, TIGHT SUSPENION, AND 5-SPEED TRANNY. NICE TO LOOK AT

Suggested Improvements

IT'S VERY LOAD AT HIGHWAY SPEEDS

My Civic Racer
By JW

1993 Ford Escort Hatchback GT 2dr Hatchback

I bought this car as a second car. It has since become my primary car. What a fun car. I can't say enough about the fun to drive factor. It surprises most drivers out there. They see Escort and laugh. When the light turns green. I'm the one laughing. It is easy to maintain. Fun to drive.And Very reliable. I bouught it with 66,000 miles on it and within a year put 30,000 miles. It has never even seen the inside of a service shop beside for oil changes. Good job Ford and Mazda!!

Favorite Features

The Mazda 16valve DOHC engine,the 5 speed,the handling as well as the looks of the car.

Suggested Improvements

My one and only complaint. It's just to darn loud at highway speeds over 70mph

LOVED IT!
By BSKET

1993 Ford Escort Hatchback GT 2dr Hatchback

I HATED to part with this car!! There were so many wonderful memories tied to it (and with 151000 how could there not)! We took this car everywhere. In NE where the winters can be hell with cold and snow...this car never quivered once! IT always started and scooted around when others were stuck. For a car that was 10 years old, we had done less that $1000 in repairs. AMAZING for a car with that kind of mileage. I never gave taking this car anywhere I wanted a second thought.

Favorite Features

I loved the handling, responsiveness and maneuverability of this car. I could get into and out of tight spaces without a second though. The reliability was second to none. It was comfortable to take on long trips.

Suggested Improvements

The automatic seatbelts are a pain. The cup holders stink if your drink is either almost full or almost empty. The motor on the GT liked to burn through spark plug wires since it burns so hot.

escort
By john geuse

1993 Ford Escort Hatchback LX 2dr Hatchback

good car, does not have "cheap" ford economic paint, good fuel economy, reliable engine.

Favorite Features

nice 5 speed

Suggested Improvements

more back seat room

Hard to say goodbye
By Nort

1993 Ford Escort Hatchback LX 2dr Hatchback

I think it says a lot for this vehicle that other than the fact we have abused the exterior over the years, there is no common sense reason to let her go.

Favorite Features

Dependable , rugged , cheap to run and maintain, easy drive town or highway.

Suggested Improvements

I hate the automatic seatbelts

Gonna Miss My Baby!
By Djh

1993 Ford Escort Hatchback GT 2dr Hatchback

Finally going to sell my first and only car that I ever purchased new. Had this one since buying it as a dealer demo in Late 1993 with only a few thousand miles on it. Just turned over the odometer a couple weeks ago and decided that it's time for something bigger and quieter on the highway. Only thing ever replaced was a rear brake rotor, the clutch sensor, three sets of tires, and the recommended other maintenance including the timing belt exactly on schedule. Now that I've written this, maybe I won't sell it after all!!! Boy did I rip up some back highways with this one!

Favorite Features

Cornering ability, reliability, low cost of maintenance, fuel economy, Mazda engine.

Suggested Improvements

Sound proofing.

best car I've ever owned
By annieo

1993 Ford Escort Hatchback LX 4dr Hatchback

bought this car new - have driven it everywhere - across deserts, over mtns, off-road, in cities. It still gets me through a 60 mi commute over two mtn. ranges, and I'm getting 35 - 38 mpg. I've replaced some stuff - clutch, radiator, timing belt (twice), etc. - but for almost 200000 mi, thats nothing but maintenance. Fun to drive and very trustworthy!

Favorite Features

its zippy and gets great mileage

Suggested Improvements

extraneous plastic bits on the body and interior broke long ago