Used 1993 Ford Escort Hatchback Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1993 Ford Escort Hatchback - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Escort model:

WOW What a Car
By Car Crazy Kid

1993 Ford Escort Hatchback LX 2dr Hatchback

I purchased this car for my daughter to drive as a reliable, economical, fun to drive vehicle. It is that and a lot more. She has a van but needed economy for her drive to work, this Escort does it all.It gets 34 - 38 mpg, has plenty of go with the 5 spd and never fails to start or go in the snow. I knew what we were getting, we had a 92 LX and a 94 GT, really a shame Ford stopped making this car. The fold down seats and hatch features are great. It's fun to drive around town, turns on a dime and never takes a back seat keeping up with much newer cars. It IS noisy and rides a little rough but for under $750 what do you expect. Past experience says that maintenance will be inexpensive as well.

MPG, inexpensive to maintain and super reliability. Goes well in the snow and wet. UTILITY is the name of the game here and at a low price. The interior is is outstanding shape for a 17 year old car.

Noisy and rides a little rough on uneven roads. Cup holders stink and so does the sound system but what the heck.

Ford Escorts are reliable
By Justin Davis

1993 Ford Escort Hatchback GT 2dr Hatchback

Must say that after 164,000 miles and a whole lot of rust in 16 years of existence,this car is still driving strong. It's fun to drive and it hasn't given the last owner or me any problems. Love this little car!

5 speed is really fun to drive and it's surprisingly quick for such a little car,fuel economy is also very good.

Shallow cup holders,basic interior and exterior design,and too much rust.

Mechanically, it's like a rock.
By John

1993 Ford Escort Hatchback LX 4dr Hatchback

I got the steal of the century when I picked up my 93 Escort of an elderly woman who could no longer drive. I got it in 04 with 14k (no joke) miles on it for just under $2000. Since then, I delivered pizza in it for 3 years, and have driven it as a city commuter for the last 2. It's solid as a rock mechanically speaking. I've changed brake pads, oil, belts and the outer tie rod ends it just keeps on trucking. However, my interior is falling apart. Also, what's up with the cup holders that are like 2cm deep? I've had countless numbers of drinks spill while making turns. Great car reliability speaking, but this isn't much more than a mode of BASIC transportation.

Hatchback (the back is like the size of a minitruck bed when the seats are down) MPG's.

DEEPER CUPHOLDERS!!! Worst design choice ever.

Love my car, hate to get rid of it
By Whoisyermomma

1993 Ford Escort Hatchback LX 4dr Hatchback

This car was a hot little number when I bought it from a friend. She had it all of 5 months and needed a van. No rust on her then, we live in New England, someone in NH garaged it in the winter. What a wonder! No real problems, great little car. Got in a minor fender bender and the front bumper was $400 to replace (with paint). Didn't have the money to replace grille - didn't need it for inspection!

Wicked fun to drive, I love the sporty little size. I'll admit I am scared to get anything larger. Fits nice in parking spaces the 1st time and in n' out of traffic quick. Awesome gas mileage (on 1st half of the tank)!

Auto seatbelts kept "freezing" when we would get any precip, corrected by removing the fuse. Also door locks (driver side and both rear) keep sticking, need more than WD-40 in New England. Also hydraulic arms for hatch are less than the best in colder temperatures.

1993 Escort GT, sad to see it go
By tarichra4

1993 Ford Escort Hatchback GT 2dr Hatchback

Bought our 93 GT 5 speed with 36,000 miles in 1996, and had to let it go in 2008 due to rust. Was a great car, peppy 1.8 engine gave us no problems except for slight lifter noise and general maintenance. Dist. O-Ring, thermostat and sending unit ,radiator, hoses, small things. Tranny went through 2 clutches, and a 3-4 shift fork and synchronizer. Fun to drive; seems to want to go through front ball joints and outer tie rods though. Ours was blue with gray interior, started rusting around the rear wheel lips, and went like wildfire since. The back half of the car is so rusted in the lower rear panels, and the frame rails are severely rusted. Rear strut came thru, and found more rust on the towers.

Quick in traffic, fun to drive. Too bad the rust got to her from the inside wheel lips. Put 100,000 miles on it and would like to find another, but midwest winters are hard on cars,and rust is guaranteed on these Escorts. Sold for parts to fix another GT. We will miss it greatly R.I.P.

Too late now, but maybe a better design in the rear quarters so water doesnt sit in between the gap at the bottom and rust them out. Smart move by putting a Mazda drivetrain in there. If you need parts, go to a Mazda dealer for a 323 or Protege; same parts as Ford. Ford discontinued most parts.