1993 Ford Escort Base Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1993 Ford Escort - Consumer Reviews

1993 Escort Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Escort model:

Sort Reviews by

WOW What a Car
By Car Crazy Kid

1993 Ford Escort LX 2dr Hatchback

I purchased this car for my daughter to drive as a reliable, economical, fun to drive vehicle. It is that and a lot more. She has a van but needed economy for her drive to work, this Escort does it all.It gets 34 - 38 mpg, has plenty of go with the 5 spd and never fails to start or go in the snow. I knew what we were getting, we had a 92 LX and a 94 GT, really a shame Ford stopped making this car. The fold down seats and hatch features are great. It's fun to drive around town, turns on a dime and never takes a back seat keeping up with much newer cars. It IS noisy and rides a little rough but for under $750 what do you expect. Past experience says that maintenance will be inexpensive as well.

Favorite Features

MPG, inexpensive to maintain and super reliability. Goes well in the snow and wet. UTILITY is the name of the game here and at a low price. The interior is is outstanding shape for a 17 year old car.

Suggested Improvements

Noisy and rides a little rough on uneven roads. Cup holders stink and so does the sound system but what the heck.

Ford Escorts are reliable
By Justin Davis

1993 Ford Escort GT 2dr Hatchback

Must say that after 164,000 miles and a whole lot of rust in 16 years of existence,this car is still driving strong. It's fun to drive and it hasn't given the last owner or me any problems. Love this little car!

Favorite Features

5 speed is really fun to drive and it's surprisingly quick for such a little car,fuel economy is also very good.

Suggested Improvements

Shallow cup holders,basic interior and exterior design,and too much rust.

Mechanically, it's like a rock.
By John

1993 Ford Escort LX 4dr Hatchback

I got the steal of the century when I picked up my 93 Escort of an elderly woman who could no longer drive. I got it in 04 with 14k (no joke) miles on it for just under $2000. Since then, I delivered pizza in it for 3 years, and have driven it as a city commuter for the last 2. It's solid as a rock mechanically speaking. I've changed brake pads, oil, belts and the outer tie rod ends it just keeps on trucking. However, my interior is falling apart. Also, what's up with the cup holders that are like 2cm deep? I've had countless numbers of drinks spill while making turns. Great car reliability speaking, but this isn't much more than a mode of BASIC transportation.

Favorite Features

Hatchback (the back is like the size of a minitruck bed when the seats are down) MPG's.

Suggested Improvements

DEEPER CUPHOLDERS!!! Worst design choice ever.

Love my car, hate to get rid of it
By Whoisyermomma

1993 Ford Escort LX 4dr Hatchback

This car was a hot little number when I bought it from a friend. She had it all of 5 months and needed a van. No rust on her then, we live in New England, someone in NH garaged it in the winter. What a wonder! No real problems, great little car. Got in a minor fender bender and the front bumper was $400 to replace (with paint). Didn't have the money to replace grille - didn't need it for inspection!

Favorite Features

Wicked fun to drive, I love the sporty little size. I'll admit I am scared to get anything larger. Fits nice in parking spaces the 1st time and in n' out of traffic quick. Awesome gas mileage (on 1st half of the tank)!

Suggested Improvements

Auto seatbelts kept "freezing" when we would get any precip, corrected by removing the fuse. Also door locks (driver side and both rear) keep sticking, need more than WD-40 in New England. Also hydraulic arms for hatch are less than the best in colder temperatures.

1993 Escort GT, sad to see it go
By tarichra4

1993 Ford Escort GT 2dr Hatchback

Bought our 93 GT 5 speed with 36,000 miles in 1996, and had to let it go in 2008 due to rust. Was a great car, peppy 1.8 engine gave us no problems except for slight lifter noise and general maintenance. Dist. O-Ring, thermostat and sending unit ,radiator, hoses, small things. Tranny went through 2 clutches, and a 3-4 shift fork and synchronizer. Fun to drive; seems to want to go through front ball joints and outer tie rods though. Ours was blue with gray interior, started rusting around the rear wheel lips, and went like wildfire since. The back half of the car is so rusted in the lower rear panels, and the frame rails are severely rusted. Rear strut came thru, and found more rust on the towers.

Favorite Features

Quick in traffic, fun to drive. Too bad the rust got to her from the inside wheel lips. Put 100,000 miles on it and would like to find another, but midwest winters are hard on cars,and rust is guaranteed on these Escorts. Sold for parts to fix another GT. We will miss it greatly R.I.P.

Suggested Improvements

Too late now, but maybe a better design in the rear quarters so water doesnt sit in between the gap at the bottom and rust them out. Smart move by putting a Mazda drivetrain in there. If you need parts, go to a Mazda dealer for a 323 or Protege; same parts as Ford. Ford discontinued most parts.

Best 2nd Car
By COKLRider

1993 Ford Escort LX 4dr Wagon

Bought 8/07 w/94k miles. Only had to replace the MAF sensor when I bought it as the previous owner put tape over the check engine light. Use it for commuting (35 mi/day) mostly. Great AC, fun to drive, cheap on gas (better than my 72 Bronco). No oil leaks. This is my 2nd Escort SW, first being an 84 diesel. Both have been great.

Favorite Features

AC, Auto trans, great mileage and reliability.

Suggested Improvements

No sense in this as it's no longer manufactured.

A great car, and I'll miss her
By ohmless

1993 Ford Escort LX 4dr Hatchback

I recently had to give up my Escort for a newer vehicle, but not without some reluctance. I purchased my Escort 4D Hatchback in September of 2003 and it proved to be one of the most reliable cars I've ever owned. I drive some serious miles for work and recreation, and aside from a few minor problems over the three and a half years I owned it, it was always reliable and got me to where I needed to go. I did have some problems with the tires and tie rods (which I've heard is a common Escort problem) and anti-freeze would leak from time to time (also another common Escort problem), but I never had to deal with any major mechanical problems.

Favorite Features

It handled well and always started-up for me, no matter how cold it was. It never gave me any serious problems and required very little maintenenace.

Suggested Improvements

There were some problems with the rear door locks jamming and the automatic front drivers-side seatbelt stopped working.

I'm now a Ford man!
By Bradley

1993 Ford Escort LX-E 4dr Sedan

I bought my 93 sedan with 65k on the clock and now have 76k+. I get 40 mpg around town and 48 on the hwy. It is a manual! I'm 6'1" and find the car adequately comfortable for 500+ mile trips to VA from NY state. Plan a trip to see friends in San Antonio TX this winter. The car feels brand new, smells new and the body is sharp. That is great considering all the salt on NY state roads in winter. It handles great in snow with care. Cold or hot weather no problem. Never owned a ford but love this car. My 70 year old mother loves it too. The fold down seats are handy. The insurance rates are great on it. Not flashy but I don't need to prove anything to anyone. I just need to think of a name for her. RUBY?

Favorite Features

I love the reliability and great fuel mileage. Dealers rave about 30mpg on newer cars. Can't beat my Escort's 40-48mpg. Sound system is very nice. I love the trunk size and fold down seats. The roll down windows please me...less to go wrong. Handles well and acceleration is fun. Driver seat is comfy.

Suggested Improvements

Wish you still made them. Sometimes placing into reverse gear is stiff. I believe there is no synchromesh. That would benefit the driver greatly. The AC sometimes drains the get up and go. Glove box latch doesn't always catch. Odd size mug holders, though with a manual transmission drinking coffee can be hard!

very much so worth your money
By larieaux

1993 Ford Escort LX 4dr Hatchback

I just bought the car for $700 about two months ago and did I ever get a deal! It had 129k on it but it drove like a dream, heck the air even worked (at first anyway). I drive it everywhere although I really wish my air hadn't died. But other than that the car is rust free, clean and everything else works; it's a good running car with no problems and there's about 132k on it now. Great gas mileage which is good since gas is nearly $4 a gallon. I recommend it for anyone who is looking for something cheap to grip.

Favorite Features

Handling, and gas mileage. Plus it's not too shabby when it comes to acceleration. I lucked out and was able to get one with a sports cluster.

Suggested Improvements

Well...can't really think of any. Should've kept making the car.

Great Little Car
By great car

1993 Ford Escort LX 4dr Sedan

This has got to be the best car I have ever owned. Phenomenal reliability and durability, especially for an American made car in the early 90's. Other than brakes and exhaust, this baby has everything else original, and I can't ever remember a time it has refused to start, drive, or generally perform like I wanted it to. Too bad they don't make the Escort any more, as the Focus appears constantly plagued by a slew of problems, both cosmetic and mechanical. If you can find a used Escort anywhere between '92-'99, grab it & hold on to it; you won't regret it.

Favorite Features

No question about it, besides the rock solid reliability, the GAS MILEAGE pays dividends these days - I get about 35-40 mpg on a regular basis, mixed highway and city driving.

Suggested Improvements

Can't really think of any - everything you need, nothing you don't. Not much to look at, but who cares, really, as long as you got wheels that keep on rolling.