1993 Ford Escort - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Escort model:
WOW What a Car
By Car Crazy Kid on 03/25/10 18:18 PM (PDT)

1993 Ford Escort LX 2dr Hatchback

I purchased this car for my daughter to drive as a reliable, economical, fun to drive vehicle. It is that and a lot more. She has a van but needed economy for her drive to work, this Escort does it all.It gets 34 - 38 mpg, has plenty of go with the 5 spd and never fails to start or go in the snow. I knew what we were getting, we had a 92 LX and a 94 GT, really a shame Ford stopped making this car. The fold down seats and hatch features are great. It's fun to drive around town, turns on a dime and never takes a back seat keeping up with much newer cars. It IS noisy and rides a little rough but for under $750 what do you expect. Past experience says that maintenance will be inexpensive as well.

Ford Escorts are reliable
By Justin Davis on 04/09/09 12:31 PM (PDT)

1993 Ford Escort GT 2dr Hatchback

Must say that after 164,000 miles and a whole lot of rust in 16 years of existence,this car is still driving strong. It's fun to drive and it hasn't given the last owner or me any problems. Love this little car!

Mechanically, it's like a rock.
By John on 03/09/09 09:27 AM (PDT)

1993 Ford Escort LX 4dr Hatchback

I got the steal of the century when I picked up my 93 Escort of an elderly woman who could no longer drive. I got it in 04 with 14k (no joke) miles on it for just under $2000. Since then, I delivered pizza in it for 3 years, and have driven it as a city commuter for the last 2. It's solid as a rock mechanically speaking. I've changed brake pads, oil, belts and the outer tie rod ends it just keeps on trucking. However, my interior is falling apart. Also, what's up with the cup holders that are like 2cm deep? I've had countless numbers of drinks spill while making turns. Great car reliability speaking, but this isn't much more than a mode of BASIC transportation.

Love my car, hate to get rid of it
By Whoisyermomma on 01/08/09 20:11 PM (PST)

1993 Ford Escort LX 4dr Hatchback

This car was a hot little number when I bought it from a friend. She had it all of 5 months and needed a van. No rust on her then, we live in New England, someone in NH garaged it in the winter. What a wonder! No real problems, great little car. Got in a minor fender bender and the front bumper was $400 to replace (with paint). Didn't have the money to replace grille - didn't need it for inspection!

1993 Escort GT, sad to see it go
By tarichra4 on 08/29/08 14:41 PM (PDT)

1993 Ford Escort GT 2dr Hatchback

Bought our 93 GT 5 speed with 36,000 miles in 1996, and had to let it go in 2008 due to rust. Was a great car, peppy 1.8 engine gave us no problems except for slight lifter noise and general maintenance. Dist. O-Ring, thermostat and sending unit ,radiator, hoses, small things. Tranny went through 2 clutches, and a 3-4 shift fork and synchronizer. Fun to drive; seems to want to go through front ball joints and outer tie rods though. Ours was blue with gray interior, started rusting around the rear wheel lips, and went like wildfire since. The back half of the car is so rusted in the lower rear panels, and the frame rails are severely rusted. Rear strut came thru, and found more rust on the towers.

Best 2nd Car
By COKLRider on 02/24/08 08:27 AM (PST)

1993 Ford Escort LX 4dr Wagon

Bought 8/07 w/94k miles. Only had to replace the MAF sensor when I bought it as the previous owner put tape over the check engine light. Use it for commuting (35 mi/day) mostly. Great AC, fun to drive, cheap on gas (better than my 72 Bronco). No oil leaks. This is my 2nd Escort SW, first being an 84 diesel. Both have been great.

A great car, and I'll miss her
By ohmless on 05/05/07 22:31 PM (PDT)

1993 Ford Escort LX 4dr Hatchback

I recently had to give up my Escort for a newer vehicle, but not without some reluctance. I purchased my Escort 4D Hatchback in September of 2003 and it proved to be one of the most reliable cars I've ever owned. I drive some serious miles for work and recreation, and aside from a few minor problems over the three and a half years I owned it, it was always reliable and got me to where I needed to go. I did have some problems with the tires and tie rods (which I've heard is a common Escort problem) and anti-freeze would leak from time to time (also another common Escort problem), but I never had to deal with any major mechanical problems.

I'm now a Ford man!
By Bradley on 08/25/06 16:29 PM (PDT)

1993 Ford Escort LX-E 4dr Sedan

I bought my 93 sedan with 65k on the clock and now have 76k+. I get 40 mpg around town and 48 on the hwy. It is a manual! I'm 6'1" and find the car adequately comfortable for 500+ mile trips to VA from NY state. Plan a trip to see friends in San Antonio TX this winter. The car feels brand new, smells new and the body is sharp. That is great considering all the salt on NY state roads in winter. It handles great in snow with care. Cold or hot weather no problem. Never owned a ford but love this car. My 70 year old mother loves it too. The fold down seats are handy. The insurance rates are great on it. Not flashy but I don't need to prove anything to anyone. I just need to think of a name for her. RUBY?

very much so worth your money
By larieaux on 08/06/06 10:24 AM (PDT)

1993 Ford Escort LX 4dr Hatchback

I just bought the car for $700 about two months ago and did I ever get a deal! It had 129k on it but it drove like a dream, heck the air even worked (at first anyway). I drive it everywhere although I really wish my air hadn't died. But other than that the car is rust free, clean and everything else works; it's a good running car with no problems and there's about 132k on it now. Great gas mileage which is good since gas is nearly $4 a gallon. I recommend it for anyone who is looking for something cheap to grip.

Great Little Car
By great car on 01/13/06 17:11 PM (PST)

1993 Ford Escort LX 4dr Sedan

This has got to be the best car I have ever owned. Phenomenal reliability and durability, especially for an American made car in the early 90's. Other than brakes and exhaust, this baby has everything else original, and I can't ever remember a time it has refused to start, drive, or generally perform like I wanted it to. Too bad they don't make the Escort any more, as the Focus appears constantly plagued by a slew of problems, both cosmetic and mechanical. If you can find a used Escort anywhere between '92-'99, grab it & hold on to it; you won't regret it.