The Nightmare before Caddie
By Cadillac Jack on
1992 Ford Escort LX-E 4dr Sedan
I bought this car for about $2,000 at the time. In the first 3 months, the car was in the shop for a total of 2 whole months total. The tranny was the first to tank. This happened shortly after the sale, the dealer felt so bad, he replaced the transmission free of charge (would have been about $600). Shortly after that, the carburetor tanked ($150), then the ignition($210). Then the ignition again (warrantied). Then the axle shaft on the front driver side ($300). There were some other general repairs in there as well. Finally I'd had enough after 1 year of constant repairs (and finding out that I needed new rear struts). I sold the car for $550.
Favorite Features
The only thing I really liked about the car was it's handling. That car could take razor sharp corners without even thinking of peeling or skidding.
Suggested Improvements
Just about everything could use improvement, primarily mechanical quality. I can deal with a crappy interior as long as the vehicle was mechanically sound. This car had a decent interior but was mechanically faulty in almost every way.