Used 1992 Ford Escort Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1992 Ford Escort - Consumer Reviews

1992 Ford Escort

View reviews for a specific Escort model:

The Nightmare before Caddie
By Cadillac Jack

1992 Ford Escort LX-E 4dr Sedan

I bought this car for about $2,000 at the time. In the first 3 months, the car was in the shop for a total of 2 whole months total. The tranny was the first to tank. This happened shortly after the sale, the dealer felt so bad, he replaced the transmission free of charge (would have been about $600). Shortly after that, the carburetor tanked ($150), then the ignition($210). Then the ignition again (warrantied). Then the axle shaft on the front driver side ($300). There were some other general repairs in there as well. Finally I'd had enough after 1 year of constant repairs (and finding out that I needed new rear struts). I sold the car for $550.

Favorite Features

The only thing I really liked about the car was it's handling. That car could take razor sharp corners without even thinking of peeling or skidding.

Suggested Improvements

Just about everything could use improvement, primarily mechanical quality. I can deal with a crappy interior as long as the vehicle was mechanically sound. This car had a decent interior but was mechanically faulty in almost every way.

92 Ford Escort LX
By Valliere

1992 Ford Escort LX 2dr Hatchback

Bought the car 2 years ago with 37K in 2 years put 55K. Cars runs like a champ. NO problems, grt gas miliage. Very dependable

Favorite Features

Great Gas miliage & Dependable

Suggested Improvements

More leg room, more features.

built to last
By airhorton

1992 Ford Escort GT 2dr Hatchback

My Father gave me this car, with around 180,000 miles on it, and now im pushing 210,000 miles and still running stong. very quick and nimble. 0-60 in 7.0 sec!

Favorite Features

power

Suggested Improvements

more aftermarket performance parts would be nice.

Good Little Car
By wapnlht

1992 Ford Escort LX 4dr Hatchback

I have been very impressed with this car.It has had only 3 problems:gas tank had a hole in it,a/c broke,and torque converter went out at 90k's.Even with those problems I think its a good commute car.Its comfortable,handles great,roomy,and fairly safe.I have been in 4 fender benders and after the fix it still looks great.Routine mantinace and it will last forever.

Favorite Features

Room,comfortable seats,good power,gas mileage,cup holders.

Suggested Improvements

Motorized seatbelts (blah).Who ever thought this was a good idea? I've also heard they compromise safety,but most early 90's cars have them :(

I want another one!
By meanjean

1992 Ford Escort LX 4dr Sedan

Have put 167,000+ miles on my 1992 Ford Escort, 5 spd. Trouble free except for AC problems at 165,000 miles. 33-36 mpg highway. Love it.

Favorite Features

Comfortable seats, 5 spd. manual, reliable.