1992 Ford Escort LX Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1992 Ford Escort - Consumer Reviews

1992 Escort Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Escort model:

Sort Reviews by

Reliable & Not Expensive
By Tom Hendley

1992 Ford Escort LX 4dr Wagon

I bought this car as a second car to use on my private investigation job. I have driven it all over NJ and am now in NC. I only intended to get a year or so out of it, since it had 94K on it when I bought it in 2002. Now 6 years latter I still have it. It has hardly cost me anything since I bought it. A/C, everything works great. Getting 25 mpg around town and 30 on hwy. I would like something newer, but can't get rid of this car. Best $1,100 ever spent getting it.

Favorite Features

Able to carry almost anything in the cargo area. Fuel economy.

Suggested Improvements

Headlights, lenses get all fogged up.

Best Ford ever
By 1992 escort

1992 Ford Escort LX-E 4dr Sedan

I had a 2004 F-150 and a 2004 Mustang Cobra, yet the Escort is my favorite. It's the best 4 cylinder. I have the 1.8 dohc with performance mods. It runs good. I wish Ford made more vehicles like that.

Favorite Features

Gas economy, very reliable. As much as fun as a Mustang. Very light weight. Tune up takes less than a hour

Suggested Improvements

None, it's perfect

Very good first car
By that guy

1992 Ford Escort GT 2dr Hatchback

This car was a gift from my parents as a first car. The car is great. It gets good gas mileage and is fun to drive. For being only a 2-door the back seats are still roomy and I was able to fit my friends who are over 6 feet tall in it. But it's a good car and recommend it to first drivers because it's safe.

Favorite Features

My favorite feature is that the gas tank can't be accesed unless I pull the lever. It really stinks to get ypur gas siphoned.

Suggested Improvements

The only thing i would really change is the radio because it only plays tapes

GT raves
By baks

1992 Ford Escort GT 2dr Hatchback

We bought this car with 115,000 miles for my husband. Works road construction and has the car has approximately 387,000 or 487,000 miles; he can't remember if he flipped it two or three times so far. We have only replace the alternator once, and a hose. Wonderful car, and fun to drive. Has some good get up and go!

Favorite Features

The fast pick up, and excellent gas mileage.

Suggested Improvements

Parts shouldn't be so hard to find, and expensive.

Can't kill this --except the tranny : )
By David Pasette

1992 Ford Escort LX 4dr Sedan

Religious 3,000 mi oil changes & front brakes every 30,000. That's all this reliable vehicle required. I never liked the transmission, and it's clear that many Fords suffer the same fate as mine... it went before anything else did. Since I had 144k miles on it, I felt the car didn't owe me anything. Before I donated it, the wiper relay went ($140 to replace by special order from the dealer) so I gave up the good fight. When the final tow removed the vehicle from my possession, I was sad. I sincerely believe a $1,000 investment in the car would have bought another 144k miles. Averaged over 30 mpg throughout it's lifespan, & took me from my 1st job out of college ('92) to my 2nd child ('05).

Favorite Features

Engine, reliability, fuel economy.

Suggested Improvements

Transmission, ding resistance, headlamp lens longevity (cloudy).

The Nightmare before Caddie
By Cadillac Jack

1992 Ford Escort LX-E 4dr Sedan

I bought this car for about $2,000 at the time. In the first 3 months, the car was in the shop for a total of 2 whole months total. The tranny was the first to tank. This happened shortly after the sale, the dealer felt so bad, he replaced the transmission free of charge (would have been about $600). Shortly after that, the carburetor tanked ($150), then the ignition($210). Then the ignition again (warrantied). Then the axle shaft on the front driver side ($300). There were some other general repairs in there as well. Finally I'd had enough after 1 year of constant repairs (and finding out that I needed new rear struts). I sold the car for $550.

Favorite Features

The only thing I really liked about the car was it's handling. That car could take razor sharp corners without even thinking of peeling or skidding.

Suggested Improvements

Just about everything could use improvement, primarily mechanical quality. I can deal with a crappy interior as long as the vehicle was mechanically sound. This car had a decent interior but was mechanically faulty in almost every way.

92 Ford Escort LX
By Valliere

1992 Ford Escort LX 2dr Hatchback

Bought the car 2 years ago with 37K in 2 years put 55K. Cars runs like a champ. NO problems, grt gas miliage. Very dependable

Favorite Features

Great Gas miliage & Dependable

Suggested Improvements

More leg room, more features.

built to last
By airhorton

1992 Ford Escort GT 2dr Hatchback

My Father gave me this car, with around 180,000 miles on it, and now im pushing 210,000 miles and still running stong. very quick and nimble. 0-60 in 7.0 sec!

Favorite Features

power

Suggested Improvements

more aftermarket performance parts would be nice.

Good Little Car
By wapnlht

1992 Ford Escort LX 4dr Hatchback

I have been very impressed with this car.It has had only 3 problems:gas tank had a hole in it,a/c broke,and torque converter went out at 90k's.Even with those problems I think its a good commute car.Its comfortable,handles great,roomy,and fairly safe.I have been in 4 fender benders and after the fix it still looks great.Routine mantinace and it will last forever.

Favorite Features

Room,comfortable seats,good power,gas mileage,cup holders.

Suggested Improvements

Motorized seatbelts (blah).Who ever thought this was a good idea? I've also heard they compromise safety,but most early 90's cars have them :(

I want another one!
By meanjean

1992 Ford Escort LX 4dr Sedan

Have put 167,000+ miles on my 1992 Ford Escort, 5 spd. Trouble free except for AC problems at 165,000 miles. 33-36 mpg highway. Love it.

Favorite Features

Comfortable seats, 5 spd. manual, reliable.