1991 Ford Escort 1.9L 4-cyl. 5-speed Manual Consumer Review - I still miss this car

1991 Ford Escort - Consumer Review

1991 Ford Escort LX 2dr Hatchback

LX 2dr Hatchback (1.9L 4-cyl. 5-speed Manual)

I still miss this car over a decade later
By pylon_johnson on

1991 Ford Escort LX 2dr Hatchback

I bought my 1991 Escort in 1996 with only 26K miles on it...and kept it until 2002, when I traded it in with 112K on it. Why am I reviewing a car I traded-in 11 years ago? Because from a reliablity standpoint, it's the best I ever owned...and I have owned many much more expensive vehicles since then. In the 6 years I owned it, there wer no major repairs, and very few minor ones. Only 2 issues I ever had with it...the automatic seatbelt motor had to be replaced (dumb design on early 90's vehicles), and it tended to burn through headlight bulbs. Other than that, it ran like a top, was fun to drive, and great on gas! Still ran great the day I traded it in, and looking back wish I kept it

Favorite Features

Not too many "features" back in those days on an economy car. It did however have dual power side mirrors, air conditioning (which didn't work half the time) and intermittent wipers (3-speeds, HI-LO-INT...none of that fancy range of intermittent speeds you get with modern cars), wheel covers, body mouldings, and power steering, all upgrades from the "Pony" model. Other than that, it was "loaded" with crank windows, AM/FM radio, manual locks, manual transmission, huge 13" steel wheels with covers, and a whopping 88 hp! I loved the simplicity and fun of the car. Even though it was only 88hp, it felt quick with a 5-speed manual and a curb weight of under a ton, and handling was good.

Suggested Improvements

I suggest Ford bring back the Escort as and ultra-economy option. And not a modern version...as close as possible to the exact same car it was back in the day. Heck, the thing got consistently in the high-30's for gas mileage, so in today's age of sky-high gasoline prices, it may actually sell well.