Used 1991 Ford Escort Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1991 Ford Escort - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Escort model:

Can last forever
By Good mpg

1991 Ford Escort LX 4dr Hatchback

My family bought our escort brand new in 1991. So as a hand me down it is a great car, unfortuantely half the engine got replaced within the last 3 years(belts/hoses/alternator), but with the new parts I plan on driving the escort for another 5 or 6 years.

The original alternator lasted over 11 years, new last 3 months. I have been getting 30-32 mpg in the city(have gotten 34 mpg a few times), on the highway I get 40 mpg. This is a grat starter car for any college or high school student.

More powerful engine, 88 hp isn't enough.

White Escort
By pro

1991 Ford Escort LX 4dr Hatchback

I got this escort really cheap in good condition. This is our 4th Ford Escort. These are great cars. I highly reccomend them. They're great on gas and parts are cheat. These vehicles are very reliable. People only complain about these cars because chances are they don't take car of the car like they're supposed to. You'll have that with any car.

Great gas mileage, Low parts cost, Very Reliable!!!

They're coolant sensors are known to not work right

Reliable, but has problems
By Fronches

1991 Ford Escort Pony 2dr Hatchback

My Ford Escort Pony is a reliable car. It has never let me down when I needed it. Problems include malfunctioning automatic seatbelts, failing gas and unreliable temperature gauges. Also, check engine, and check coolant lights come on normally. Despite these problems the car operates fine, and is a good fun car. The 5-speed transmission is great, but the clutch is weak.

1.9L Pony engine small and manuverable folding rear seat good gas mileage

High performance clutch (more grip). Better exterior paint and trim.

This Car Rocks, Dudes!!!!!
By Autobon Maniac

1991 Ford Escort Pony 2dr Hatchback

I drove this car on the German Autobon for several years. 40,000 miles with my foot so hard to the floorboards, I would get leg cramps (you laugh.) Top end...maybe 140 going downhill. Those big ole' Granddaddy 5 series Mercedes and 7 series Bimmers would pass me so fast they would suck me out into their lane, but the Escort was a hoot nonetheless. 7 hours to Italy....4 1/2 hours to Amsterdam....Ahhhh the good life!

Cheap to own and operate. Chicks dig it!!!!! Email me if you have similar experiences and would like to start a club!!!

Absolutely nothing!!!! Why mess with perfection!!!

A real escort!
By Big Fool

1991 Ford Escort GT 2dr Hatchback

This is the only car that sold itself to me! The salesman didn't have to do anything. After the air conditioner was fixed in only 1 year, the next big problem was the air flow meter did not read right, causing the the engine go lean and sputter once the engine warmed up-fixed under the warranty just before it expired. At about '99 the tiny coolant lines that run to the air intake (these set idle speed fast when coolant is cold)busted and my coolant boiled out (see improvement sugg.) It may wear on you cruising the interstate by the hour, the suspension is a bit stiff. But for anything shorter it rides just fine and is good at handling curves.

It is just plain fun to drive. I could put bikes and chairs in back that probably would not fit in the later ZX2.

The oil filter should not be located directly over the exhaust pipe. The car always smokes after the oil filter is changed. Too many things are accessible only from underneath the car. Tire size 185/60R15 was hard to find.