Used 1991 Ford Escort Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1991 Ford Escort - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Escort model:

Most Helpful|
My $100 Escort
By pevey2469

1991 Ford Escort LX 4dr Hatchback

I obtained my Escort from it's grave. It had a broken timing belt, which in turn means it need a cylinder head. I put one on it at 145k and that was all. Ever since I have driven my "Little Go-Cart" over 10,000 miles with out a hitch. Engine is original and will probably need replacement around 165-180k but since I am a journeyman mechanic for 20 plus years,I believe it is worth it and a good all around runabout. Ford Rules!

Favorite Features

4 cylinder 5 speed Best fuel economy for what it is

review of my 91' excort
By FoXyGrL969

1991 Ford Escort GT 2dr Hatchback

I am the second owner of this car, my aunt bought it brand new and took excellent care of it, and when i turned 16 the car became mine. I had no problems at first but since i've gotten it we've had to replace the alternator 3 times...going on 4 soon. the battery has been replaced many times due to the alternator draining it. Other than the alternator i've had no big problems with it.

Favorite Features

sunroof, exterior design

Suggested Improvements

Find out what is wrong with the alternator!!! and get rid of that ugly light interior color, it's gross.

Good first car
By distortme

1991 Ford Escort LX 2dr Hatchback

I bought my Escort in Feb of 2004. It was in bad shape. With some fresh oil and new spark plugs it ran pretty well. The body has a lot of rust on the outside, and the interior is falling apart on the doors. It's got 143,000 miles on it, and even though can't handle the highway anymore it is WONDERFUL for driving around the city. I rarely need to go on the highway; good thing because the car feels like it will stall if i go above 60. It's been good to me in the year I've had it. I have only had to put new tires on it and buy a new 10 dollar belt.

Favorite Features

I love the cupholders! lol, and the back seat goes down so i can fit things in the back.

Suggested Improvements

Rust proofing, better choice for interior color (it's awful red).

91' Escort
By joe777

1991 Ford Escort LX 4dr Hatchback

Great car ! If your looking for power and performance look elsewhere (obviously) But if you just need a reliable car that wont cost much at all to maintain and is absolutly amazing on gas, this is a great car to own.

Favorite Features

realiability and fuel economy

Suggested Improvements

well...the factory speakers are about 5 watts max power handling.......

Piece of trash
By Lenzius

1991 Ford Escort LX 4dr Hatchback

I had to replace the original engine at 100K. The head warped on this new engine when the heater core, the fan, and thermastat all went out! No AC, no heater.The gas tank cracked and had to be replaced. The driver's side seatbelt motor locked up mid track. I have done extensive front end work. Oil has leaked out all over the floorboard. The sun visors both broke off. There are no left side speakers. And now the UV joint or transmition or clutch or something is about to go out. If you think this car is so great I will sell you mine.

Favorite Features

It does get great gas mileage (but then again I have NO AC!), and it is quite soupy (When it is running).

Suggested Improvements

Burn the stupid thing.