1991 Ford Escort Hatchback - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Escort model:
Can last forever
By Good mpg on 10/26/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1991 Ford Escort Hatchback LX 4dr Hatchback

My family bought our escort brand new in 1991. So as a hand me down it is a great car, unfortuantely half the engine got replaced within the last 3 years(belts/hoses/alternator), but with the new parts I plan on driving the escort for another 5 or 6 years.

White Escort
By pro on 06/13/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1991 Ford Escort Hatchback LX 4dr Hatchback

I got this escort really cheap in good condition. This is our 4th Ford Escort. These are great cars. I highly reccomend them. They're great on gas and parts are cheat. These vehicles are very reliable. People only complain about these cars because chances are they don't take car of the car like they're supposed to. You'll have that with any car.

Reliable, but has problems
By Fronches on 02/24/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1991 Ford Escort Hatchback Pony 2dr Hatchback

My Ford Escort Pony is a reliable car. It has never let me down when I needed it. Problems include malfunctioning automatic seatbelts, failing gas and unreliable temperature gauges. Also, check engine, and check coolant lights come on normally. Despite these problems the car operates fine, and is a good fun car. The 5-speed transmission is great, but the clutch is weak.

This Car Rocks, Dudes!!!!!
By Autobon Maniac on 12/31/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1991 Ford Escort Hatchback Pony 2dr Hatchback

I drove this car on the German Autobon for several years. 40,000 miles with my foot so hard to the floorboards, I would get leg cramps (you laugh.) Top end...maybe 140 going downhill. Those big ole' Granddaddy 5 series Mercedes and 7 series Bimmers would pass me so fast they would suck me out into their lane, but the Escort was a hoot nonetheless. 7 hours to Italy....4 1/2 hours to Amsterdam....Ahhhh the good life!

A real escort!
By Big Fool on 12/07/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1991 Ford Escort Hatchback GT 2dr Hatchback

This is the only car that sold itself to me! The salesman didn't have to do anything. After the air conditioner was fixed in only 1 year, the next big problem was the air flow meter did not read right, causing the the engine go lean and sputter once the engine warmed up-fixed under the warranty just before it expired. At about '99 the tiny coolant lines that run to the air intake (these set idle speed fast when coolant is cold)busted and my coolant boiled out (see improvement sugg.) It may wear on you cruising the interstate by the hour, the suspension is a bit stiff. But for anything shorter it rides just fine and is good at handling curves.

review of my 91' excort
By FoXyGrL969 on 12/03/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1991 Ford Escort Hatchback GT 2dr Hatchback

I am the second owner of this car, my aunt bought it brand new and took excellent care of it, and when i turned 16 the car became mine. I had no problems at first but since i've gotten it we've had to replace the alternator 3 times...going on 4 soon. the battery has been replaced many times due to the alternator draining it. Other than the alternator i've had no big problems with it.

The best car I ever owned
By lornad on 11/05/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1991 Ford Escort Hatchback LX 2dr Hatchback

I have not had a problem yet with the car. I only did the typical maintenance that you do with a used car. I drove from Virginia to Connecticut for the first time by myself and I had no fear about driving that distance alone. I have never driven that far before. I made it to and from. I have more confidence in that car than any car that I had in the past (and there were many). I will keep this car for a very long time.

What will I do when it's gone?
By Gukchuck on 09/23/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1991 Ford Escort Hatchback GT 2dr Hatchback

I'm the OEM buyer of this car and it's been great. The mileage, the performance and just the sheer fun of the vehicle. I can stash any of my bicycles into the back (including my recumbent) and the only time it's ever been towed is when the missus parked it badly. The biggest improvement I made was to replace the sport Eagle GT+4 tires with touring tires and replacing the OEM struts with gas charged struts.

The most reliable car ever made.
By Rob k on 09/19/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1991 Ford Escort Hatchback LX 4dr Hatchback

I have had my escort for almost 2 years now and it is the best purchase I ever made. It only cost me $1400 to buy and I have only had to replace 1 tire for $35. So far it has averaged out to less than $70 a month for the time I've had it. I don't have any doubt it will last me for well over another year. I plan on driving it until it breaks down, I may drive it for another 5 years. If anyone is planning on buying one I strongly recomned it.

13 Years and only two repairs
By julields on 09/17/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1991 Ford Escort Hatchback GT 2dr Hatchback

I've had my Escort GT for 13 years! I bought it brand new in 1990, have put 160,000 miles on it, and in all that time, I've had only two repairs. One $98 ignition switch and one oil leak (recent) for $300. Less than $400 in 13 years ... not bad. I've taken good care, of course, with oil changes and all scheduled maintenance, but it's still got umph when I need it and the most comfortable seats I've ever found. Huge trunk and room in back seat are bonus, too.