Used 1991 Ford Escort Hatchback Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1991 Ford Escort Hatchback - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Escort model:

I love this car
By Karla in PA

1991 Ford Escort Hatchback LX 2dr Hatchback

I bought this car as a high school junior because I needed my own transportation to work. I had limited funds and the Escort seemed just perfect at $750. I have had the car for almost 1.5 years now and I have not been disappointed at all. This car is small and cute. I get wonderful gas mileage (~29/35) and there's little maintenance. My friends are all jealous of my car! It has almost 100,000 (or 200,000; I can't tell because of the 6 digit odometer) and still runs better than my father's '05 Pontiac. The only problem is that the A/C doesn't run very cold, but hey, at least it runs. I would recommend this car to anyone. It runs like new and will never leave you stranded. Surely a great buy!

Outstanding gas mileage is second only to hybrids and motor scooters. Engine runs strong. Manual transmission is very forgiving for learners. Just generally a good car!

The A/C could be better and my car whistles when accelerating in fifth gear. It's a minor annoyance but the only problem I've experienced with the car.

Still a Blast
By Mark

1991 Ford Escort Hatchback GT 2dr Hatchback

Factory ordered this car in '90 been driving it ever since. Fully optioned except for the 5-speed. Fun to drive (still drives like new), quick, easy on the wallet. Replaced the ignition switch and rear springs. That's it.

Total performance for little money.

Few performance upgrades.

It takes a lickin and keeps on tickin
By scortman

1991 Ford Escort Hatchback LX 4dr Hatchback

I love my Escort LX. I drive 80 mi. per day round trip and get 33mpg city. The car was given to me by a friend in 8-06. It sat for 9 mo. Before I put a new battery in it started it up. I've replaced the starter, tiresstruts, brakes recently the timing belt broke and I was told it was beyond repair because the camshaft was locked and possible piston and valve damage. It would cost more than the car was worth to repair. With nothing to lose, I managed to turn the camshaft backward and free it, put a new timing belt on and away we go. Runs like a champ. With gas prices rising every day (currently 3.60) my Escort is not for sale. It's a tough little car. With routine care it should run for ever.

Great gas mileage, low cost to operate, easy to park, parts are cheap, and tires last a long time.

Better heating system, deeper cup holders and more of them, better water drainage from the windshield away from windows.

Believe
By Believe!

1991 Ford Escort Hatchback LX 2dr Hatchback

Bought new in 1991, this car has amazed me. Great for hauling stuff (hatchback) around. We never got rid of it. We've owned many cars, Chevy's, Toyota's, Olds, even Mercedes. They're all gone and this car is still here. We didn't use it much for a long time but now with gas prices up, I resurrected it. Runs great, and getting close to 35 mpg hwy/28 city (5 speed). Over the years only pcv valve, and windshield wiper motor went out. Did a new serpentine belt with about 80k on it and a new set of tires around 95k. I keep thinking buy a new car but this Escort is money in the bank. For the cost of a new car, $15- 20K, I can buy a lot of gas for this Escort even at $5 a gallon. I think I'll keep it!

5 speed fun to drive, hatchback-lots of room to haul stuff around, electric side mirrors, fuel economy 35/28, AC blows ice. Love it!

Nothing, this car was replaced by successive generations of Escorts and now Focus. Hope they are as good.

Good first car
By distortme

1991 Ford Escort Hatchback LX 2dr Hatchback

I bought my Escort in Feb of 2004. It was in bad shape. With some fresh oil and new spark plugs it ran pretty well. The body has a lot of rust on the outside, and the interior is falling apart on the doors. It's got 143,000 miles on it, and even though can't handle the highway anymore it is WONDERFUL for driving around the city. I rarely need to go on the highway; good thing because the car feels like it will stall if i go above 60. It's been good to me in the year I've had it. I have only had to put new tires on it and buy a new 10 dollar belt.

I love the cupholders! lol, and the back seat goes down so i can fit things in the back.

Rust proofing, better choice for interior color (it's awful red).

• SUV