1991 Ford Escort Hatchback - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Escort model:
Proud to own a "girly" car
By elroy1991 on 06/20/14 12:54 PM (PDT)

1991 Ford Escort Hatchback LX 2dr Hatchback

My sister gave me her 1991 escort lx in 2006 with 116K miles on it. She said I may get a year out of it and then junk it. She was the original owner. Here it is 2014 and I still drive it with 198K on it. Ive had the timing belt break twice, have had to replace alt, starter, wheel cyl. Then last week, the ignition switch lock assembly broke. This car will NOT die. I love this car. I'm getting 420 miles on a tank of gas. I've had people offer $1500 for it and tell them no. It's been a very reliable car for me. My sister is still amazed it's still in service. I'm going to drive it until the motor blows or the tranny gives out, but I don't see that happening anytime soon.

I still miss this car over a decade later
By pylon_johnson on 12/18/13 12:43 PM (PST)

1991 Ford Escort Hatchback LX 2dr Hatchback

I bought my 1991 Escort in 1996 with only 26K miles on it...and kept it until 2002, when I traded it in with 112K on it. Why am I reviewing a car I traded-in 11 years ago? Because from a reliablity standpoint, it's the best I ever owned...and I have owned many much more expensive vehicles since then. In the 6 years I owned it, there wer no major repairs, and very few minor ones. Only 2 issues I ever had with it...the automatic seatbelt motor had to be replaced (dumb design on early 90's vehicles), and it tended to burn through headlight bulbs. Other than that, it ran like a top, was fun to drive, and great on gas! Still ran great the day I traded it in, and looking back wish I kept it

I love this car
By Karla in PA on 07/24/08 15:37 PM (PDT)

1991 Ford Escort Hatchback LX 2dr Hatchback

I bought this car as a high school junior because I needed my own transportation to work. I had limited funds and the Escort seemed just perfect at $750. I have had the car for almost 1.5 years now and I have not been disappointed at all. This car is small and cute. I get wonderful gas mileage (~29/35) and there's little maintenance. My friends are all jealous of my car! It has almost 100,000 (or 200,000; I can't tell because of the 6 digit odometer) and still runs better than my father's '05 Pontiac. The only problem is that the A/C doesn't run very cold, but hey, at least it runs. I would recommend this car to anyone. It runs like new and will never leave you stranded. Surely a great buy!

Believe
By Believe! on 08/07/06 18:30 PM (PDT)

1991 Ford Escort Hatchback LX 2dr Hatchback

Bought new in 1991, this car has amazed me. Great for hauling stuff (hatchback) around. We never got rid of it. We've owned many cars, Chevy's, Toyota's, Olds, even Mercedes. They're all gone and this car is still here. We didn't use it much for a long time but now with gas prices up, I resurrected it. Runs great, and getting close to 35 mpg hwy/28 city (5 speed). Over the years only pcv valve, and windshield wiper motor went out. Did a new serpentine belt with about 80k on it and a new set of tires around 95k. I keep thinking buy a new car but this Escort is money in the bank. For the cost of a new car, $15- 20K, I can buy a lot of gas for this Escort even at $5 a gallon. I think I'll keep it!

Good first car
By distortme on 02/03/05 19:33 PM (PST)

1991 Ford Escort Hatchback LX 2dr Hatchback

I bought my Escort in Feb of 2004. It was in bad shape. With some fresh oil and new spark plugs it ran pretty well. The body has a lot of rust on the outside, and the interior is falling apart on the doors. It's got 143,000 miles on it, and even though can't handle the highway anymore it is WONDERFUL for driving around the city. I rarely need to go on the highway; good thing because the car feels like it will stall if i go above 60. It's been good to me in the year I've had it. I have only had to put new tires on it and buy a new 10 dollar belt.

The best car I ever owned
By lornad on 11/05/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1991 Ford Escort Hatchback LX 2dr Hatchback

I have not had a problem yet with the car. I only did the typical maintenance that you do with a used car. I drove from Virginia to Connecticut for the first time by myself and I had no fear about driving that distance alone. I have never driven that far before. I made it to and from. I have more confidence in that car than any car that I had in the past (and there were many). I will keep this car for a very long time.

minor problem, great car
By Wolfdio on 03/05/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1991 Ford Escort Hatchback LX 2dr Hatchback

I have been through a lot with this car. I just love it. I have had it for years before i bought it. my dad bought it in 95 for $2000. In 98 we had to buy a new tranny, and when 2003 came around we had already gone through 3 alternators... ive learned how to fix alternators, and im glad i did.

can't beat it
By groundeffx on 02/02/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1991 Ford Escort Hatchback LX 2dr Hatchback

this is by far the best car i have owned ihave owned many cars in my time and i enjoyed this one the most in 8 years and 89000 miles i never had to do any repairs to this car only normal wear and tear items i regret ever trading it in i am looking today to buy another one it will be hard to find a clean one but it will be worth it.if you are looking and find one buy it ! well worth the value esp.if clean

Escort LX
By Ford Power on 01/25/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1991 Ford Escort Hatchback LX 2dr Hatchback

I bought this car in '95 and have only replaced the tires. Now that I have a 198,000 miles on it without problems...I can't convience myself replace the car for a new one. Problem area: Rust and holes in the hatch which brings in the exhaust gas into the cabin. Summay: Very good car

Great Starter car
By Maryann on 08/10/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1991 Ford Escort Hatchback LX 2dr Hatchback

This is a good car for commuters and an excellent starter car. Based on the MAZDA 323, most of the components are Made in Japan.