1991 Ford Escort Hatchback - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Escort model:
Proud to own a "girly" car
By elroy1991 on 06/20/14 12:54 PM (PDT)

1991 Ford Escort Hatchback LX 2dr Hatchback

My sister gave me her 1991 escort lx in 2006 with 116K miles on it. She said I may get a year out of it and then junk it. She was the original owner. Here it is 2014 and I still drive it with 198K on it. Ive had the timing belt break twice, have had to replace alt, starter, wheel cyl. Then last week, the ignition switch lock assembly broke. This car will NOT die. I love this car. I'm getting 420 miles on a tank of gas. I've had people offer $1500 for it and tell them no. It's been a very reliable car for me. My sister is still amazed it's still in service. I'm going to drive it until the motor blows or the tranny gives out, but I don't see that happening anytime soon.

I still miss this car over a decade later
By pylon_johnson on 12/18/13 12:43 PM (PST)

1991 Ford Escort Hatchback LX 2dr Hatchback

I bought my 1991 Escort in 1996 with only 26K miles on it...and kept it until 2002, when I traded it in with 112K on it. Why am I reviewing a car I traded-in 11 years ago? Because from a reliablity standpoint, it's the best I ever owned...and I have owned many much more expensive vehicles since then. In the 6 years I owned it, there wer no major repairs, and very few minor ones. Only 2 issues I ever had with it...the automatic seatbelt motor had to be replaced (dumb design on early 90's vehicles), and it tended to burn through headlight bulbs. Other than that, it ran like a top, was fun to drive, and great on gas! Still ran great the day I traded it in, and looking back wish I kept it

91 Cayman GT
By The_Green_Goblin on 08/23/10 23:36 PM (PDT)

1991 Ford Escort Hatchback GT 2dr Hatchback

I am the 2nd documented owner, the First owner had a 16 year old child that did not know how to handle a car like this or appreciate it. I bought it, rebuilt it, and it blows my LX out of the water as far as performance, comfort and styling. The fact it shares the BG Chassis with Mazda makes it a bit easier to find aftermarket performance parts. I have put about 700 miles on my car since June, and I love it. All K&N Filters, 205-55ZR15's, and it handles like a dream. Comes factory with Tokico struts, which is a great manufacturer of suspension equip. I absolutely love it and plan on keeping it to hand down to my son. Not a Mustang, but I blow by those anyways. I recommend it 100%!

My $100 Escort
By pevey2469 on 12/24/09 10:59 AM (PST)

1991 Ford Escort Hatchback LX 4dr Hatchback

I obtained my Escort from it's grave. It had a broken timing belt, which in turn means it need a cylinder head. I put one on it at 145k and that was all. Ever since I have driven my "Little Go-Cart" over 10,000 miles with out a hitch. Engine is original and will probably need replacement around 165-180k but since I am a journeyman mechanic for 20 plus years,I believe it is worth it and a good all around runabout. Ford Rules!

LOVE IT!
By xxchrist_rockerxx on 03/13/09 15:40 PM (PDT)

1991 Ford Escort Hatchback LX 4dr Hatchback

LOVE this car, bought it with 80,000 miles on it in 2005, fresh out of high school. in less than 4 years i've more than tripled the mileage, and it's sitting at 261,000 miles right now and still running strong! EASILY gets 32mpg city, 35 highway...i would recommend this car to ANYONE, but not mine because it's not for sale! If you get one, take care of it...it will last you forever!

I love this car
By Karla in PA on 07/24/08 15:37 PM (PDT)

1991 Ford Escort Hatchback LX 2dr Hatchback

I bought this car as a high school junior because I needed my own transportation to work. I had limited funds and the Escort seemed just perfect at $750. I have had the car for almost 1.5 years now and I have not been disappointed at all. This car is small and cute. I get wonderful gas mileage (~29/35) and there's little maintenance. My friends are all jealous of my car! It has almost 100,000 (or 200,000; I can't tell because of the 6 digit odometer) and still runs better than my father's '05 Pontiac. The only problem is that the A/C doesn't run very cold, but hey, at least it runs. I would recommend this car to anyone. It runs like new and will never leave you stranded. Surely a great buy!

Still a Blast
By Mark on 04/28/08 22:52 PM (PDT)

1991 Ford Escort Hatchback GT 2dr Hatchback

Factory ordered this car in '90 been driving it ever since. Fully optioned except for the 5-speed. Fun to drive (still drives like new), quick, easy on the wallet. Replaced the ignition switch and rear springs. That's it.

It takes a lickin and keeps on tickin
By scortman on 04/27/08 13:06 PM (PDT)

1991 Ford Escort Hatchback LX 4dr Hatchback

I love my Escort LX. I drive 80 mi. per day round trip and get 33mpg city. The car was given to me by a friend in 8-06. It sat for 9 mo. Before I put a new battery in it started it up. I've replaced the starter, tiresstruts, brakes recently the timing belt broke and I was told it was beyond repair because the camshaft was locked and possible piston and valve damage. It would cost more than the car was worth to repair. With nothing to lose, I managed to turn the camshaft backward and free it, put a new timing belt on and away we go. Runs like a champ. With gas prices rising every day (currently 3.60) my Escort is not for sale. It's a tough little car. With routine care it should run for ever.

Believe
By Believe! on 08/07/06 18:30 PM (PDT)

1991 Ford Escort Hatchback LX 2dr Hatchback

Bought new in 1991, this car has amazed me. Great for hauling stuff (hatchback) around. We never got rid of it. We've owned many cars, Chevy's, Toyota's, Olds, even Mercedes. They're all gone and this car is still here. We didn't use it much for a long time but now with gas prices up, I resurrected it. Runs great, and getting close to 35 mpg hwy/28 city (5 speed). Over the years only pcv valve, and windshield wiper motor went out. Did a new serpentine belt with about 80k on it and a new set of tires around 95k. I keep thinking buy a new car but this Escort is money in the bank. For the cost of a new car, $15- 20K, I can buy a lot of gas for this Escort even at $5 a gallon. I think I'll keep it!

Good first car
By distortme on 02/03/05 19:33 PM (PST)

1991 Ford Escort Hatchback LX 2dr Hatchback

I bought my Escort in Feb of 2004. It was in bad shape. With some fresh oil and new spark plugs it ran pretty well. The body has a lot of rust on the outside, and the interior is falling apart on the doors. It's got 143,000 miles on it, and even though can't handle the highway anymore it is WONDERFUL for driving around the city. I rarely need to go on the highway; good thing because the car feels like it will stall if i go above 60. It's been good to me in the year I've had it. I have only had to put new tires on it and buy a new 10 dollar belt.