Used 1991 Ford Escort Hatchback Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1991 Ford Escort Hatchback - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Escort model:

Proud to own a "girly" car
By elroy1991

1991 Ford Escort Hatchback LX 2dr Hatchback

My sister gave me her 1991 escort lx in 2006 with 116K miles on it. She said I may get a year out of it and then junk it. She was the original owner. Here it is 2014 and I still drive it with 198K on it. Ive had the timing belt break twice, have had to replace alt, starter, wheel cyl. Then last week, the ignition switch lock assembly broke. This car will NOT die. I love this car. I'm getting 420 miles on a tank of gas. I've had people offer $1500 for it and tell them no. It's been a very reliable car for me. My sister is still amazed it's still in service. I'm going to drive it until the motor blows or the tranny gives out, but I don't see that happening anytime soon.

I still miss this car over a decade later
By pylon_johnson

1991 Ford Escort Hatchback LX 2dr Hatchback

I bought my 1991 Escort in 1996 with only 26K miles on it...and kept it until 2002, when I traded it in with 112K on it. Why am I reviewing a car I traded-in 11 years ago? Because from a reliablity standpoint, it's the best I ever owned...and I have owned many much more expensive vehicles since then. In the 6 years I owned it, there wer no major repairs, and very few minor ones. Only 2 issues I ever had with it...the automatic seatbelt motor had to be replaced (dumb design on early 90's vehicles), and it tended to burn through headlight bulbs. Other than that, it ran like a top, was fun to drive, and great on gas! Still ran great the day I traded it in, and looking back wish I kept it

Not too many "features" back in those days on an economy car. It did however have dual power side mirrors, air conditioning (which didn't work half the time) and intermittent wipers (3-speeds, HI-LO-INT...none of that fancy range of intermittent speeds you get with modern cars), wheel covers, body mouldings, and power steering, all upgrades from the "Pony" model. Other than that, it was "loaded" with crank windows, AM/FM radio, manual locks, manual transmission, huge 13" steel wheels with covers, and a whopping 88 hp! I loved the simplicity and fun of the car. Even though it was only 88hp, it felt quick with a 5-speed manual and a curb weight of under a ton, and handling was good.

I suggest Ford bring back the Escort as and ultra-economy option. And not a modern version...as close as possible to the exact same car it was back in the day. Heck, the thing got consistently in the high-30's for gas mileage, so in today's age of sky-high gasoline prices, it may actually sell well.

91 Cayman GT
By The_Green_Goblin

1991 Ford Escort Hatchback GT 2dr Hatchback

I am the 2nd documented owner, the First owner had a 16 year old child that did not know how to handle a car like this or appreciate it. I bought it, rebuilt it, and it blows my LX out of the water as far as performance, comfort and styling. The fact it shares the BG Chassis with Mazda makes it a bit easier to find aftermarket performance parts. I have put about 700 miles on my car since June, and I love it. All K&N Filters, 205-55ZR15's, and it handles like a dream. Comes factory with Tokico struts, which is a great manufacturer of suspension equip. I absolutely love it and plan on keeping it to hand down to my son. Not a Mustang, but I blow by those anyways. I recommend it 100%!

Extra side bolster seat support, Punchy BP05 I4 Mazda DOHC engine, Tight suspension, Great maneuverability, Aggressive styling, Overall well rounded sub compact sports car.

Stronger Transmissions, as the G-series in them is not the strongest one for people who like to power shift. No improvements as these cars are, in my opinion, rated better in drivability over the competitor, Civic.

My $100 Escort
By pevey2469

1991 Ford Escort Hatchback LX 4dr Hatchback

I obtained my Escort from it's grave. It had a broken timing belt, which in turn means it need a cylinder head. I put one on it at 145k and that was all. Ever since I have driven my "Little Go-Cart" over 10,000 miles with out a hitch. Engine is original and will probably need replacement around 165-180k but since I am a journeyman mechanic for 20 plus years,I believe it is worth it and a good all around runabout. Ford Rules!

4 cylinder 5 speed Best fuel economy for what it is

LOVE IT!
By xxchrist_rockerxx

1991 Ford Escort Hatchback LX 4dr Hatchback

LOVE this car, bought it with 80,000 miles on it in 2005, fresh out of high school. in less than 4 years i've more than tripled the mileage, and it's sitting at 261,000 miles right now and still running strong! EASILY gets 32mpg city, 35 highway...i would recommend this car to ANYONE, but not mine because it's not for sale! If you get one, take care of it...it will last you forever!

lots of hauling space (hatchback) and handles rather nicely.

cup holders stink =( WAY too shallow, even for large bottomed drinks...my front floorboards are stained beyond my repair because of numerous spilled drinks.