Used 1991 Ford Escort LX Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1991 Ford Escort - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Escort model:

Proud to own a "girly" car
By elroy1991

1991 Ford Escort LX 2dr Hatchback

My sister gave me her 1991 escort lx in 2006 with 116K miles on it. She said I may get a year out of it and then junk it. She was the original owner. Here it is 2014 and I still drive it with 198K on it. Ive had the timing belt break twice, have had to replace alt, starter, wheel cyl. Then last week, the ignition switch lock assembly broke. This car will NOT die. I love this car. I'm getting 420 miles on a tank of gas. I've had people offer $1500 for it and tell them no. It's been a very reliable car for me. My sister is still amazed it's still in service. I'm going to drive it until the motor blows or the tranny gives out, but I don't see that happening anytime soon.

I still miss this car over a decade later
By pylon_johnson

1991 Ford Escort LX 2dr Hatchback

I bought my 1991 Escort in 1996 with only 26K miles on it...and kept it until 2002, when I traded it in with 112K on it. Why am I reviewing a car I traded-in 11 years ago? Because from a reliablity standpoint, it's the best I ever owned...and I have owned many much more expensive vehicles since then. In the 6 years I owned it, there wer no major repairs, and very few minor ones. Only 2 issues I ever had with it...the automatic seatbelt motor had to be replaced (dumb design on early 90's vehicles), and it tended to burn through headlight bulbs. Other than that, it ran like a top, was fun to drive, and great on gas! Still ran great the day I traded it in, and looking back wish I kept it

Not too many "features" back in those days on an economy car. It did however have dual power side mirrors, air conditioning (which didn't work half the time) and intermittent wipers (3-speeds, HI-LO-INT...none of that fancy range of intermittent speeds you get with modern cars), wheel covers, body mouldings, and power steering, all upgrades from the "Pony" model. Other than that, it was "loaded" with crank windows, AM/FM radio, manual locks, manual transmission, huge 13" steel wheels with covers, and a whopping 88 hp! I loved the simplicity and fun of the car. Even though it was only 88hp, it felt quick with a 5-speed manual and a curb weight of under a ton, and handling was good.

I suggest Ford bring back the Escort as and ultra-economy option. And not a modern version...as close as possible to the exact same car it was back in the day. Heck, the thing got consistently in the high-30's for gas mileage, so in today's age of sky-high gasoline prices, it may actually sell well.

I love this car
By Karla in PA

1991 Ford Escort LX 2dr Hatchback

I bought this car as a high school junior because I needed my own transportation to work. I had limited funds and the Escort seemed just perfect at $750. I have had the car for almost 1.5 years now and I have not been disappointed at all. This car is small and cute. I get wonderful gas mileage (~29/35) and there's little maintenance. My friends are all jealous of my car! It has almost 100,000 (or 200,000; I can't tell because of the 6 digit odometer) and still runs better than my father's '05 Pontiac. The only problem is that the A/C doesn't run very cold, but hey, at least it runs. I would recommend this car to anyone. It runs like new and will never leave you stranded. Surely a great buy!

Outstanding gas mileage is second only to hybrids and motor scooters. Engine runs strong. Manual transmission is very forgiving for learners. Just generally a good car!

The A/C could be better and my car whistles when accelerating in fifth gear. It's a minor annoyance but the only problem I've experienced with the car.

Believe
By Believe!

1991 Ford Escort LX 2dr Hatchback

Bought new in 1991, this car has amazed me. Great for hauling stuff (hatchback) around. We never got rid of it. We've owned many cars, Chevy's, Toyota's, Olds, even Mercedes. They're all gone and this car is still here. We didn't use it much for a long time but now with gas prices up, I resurrected it. Runs great, and getting close to 35 mpg hwy/28 city (5 speed). Over the years only pcv valve, and windshield wiper motor went out. Did a new serpentine belt with about 80k on it and a new set of tires around 95k. I keep thinking buy a new car but this Escort is money in the bank. For the cost of a new car, $15- 20K, I can buy a lot of gas for this Escort even at $5 a gallon. I think I'll keep it!

5 speed fun to drive, hatchback-lots of room to haul stuff around, electric side mirrors, fuel economy 35/28, AC blows ice. Love it!

Nothing, this car was replaced by successive generations of Escorts and now Focus. Hope they are as good.

Good first car
By distortme

1991 Ford Escort LX 2dr Hatchback

I bought my Escort in Feb of 2004. It was in bad shape. With some fresh oil and new spark plugs it ran pretty well. The body has a lot of rust on the outside, and the interior is falling apart on the doors. It's got 143,000 miles on it, and even though can't handle the highway anymore it is WONDERFUL for driving around the city. I rarely need to go on the highway; good thing because the car feels like it will stall if i go above 60. It's been good to me in the year I've had it. I have only had to put new tires on it and buy a new 10 dollar belt.

I love the cupholders! lol, and the back seat goes down so i can fit things in the back.

Rust proofing, better choice for interior color (it's awful red).