1991 Ford Escort - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Escort model:
91 Cayman GT
By The_Green_Goblin on 08/23/10 23:36 PM (PDT)

1991 Ford Escort GT 2dr Hatchback

I am the 2nd documented owner, the First owner had a 16 year old child that did not know how to handle a car like this or appreciate it. I bought it, rebuilt it, and it blows my LX out of the water as far as performance, comfort and styling. The fact it shares the BG Chassis with Mazda makes it a bit easier to find aftermarket performance parts. I have put about 700 miles on my car since June, and I love it. All K&N Filters, 205-55ZR15's, and it handles like a dream. Comes factory with Tokico struts, which is a great manufacturer of suspension equip. I absolutely love it and plan on keeping it to hand down to my son. Not a Mustang, but I blow by those anyways. I recommend it 100%!

Still a Blast
By Mark on 04/28/08 22:52 PM (PDT)

1991 Ford Escort GT 2dr Hatchback

Factory ordered this car in '90 been driving it ever since. Fully optioned except for the 5-speed. Fun to drive (still drives like new), quick, easy on the wallet. Replaced the ignition switch and rear springs. That's it.

A real escort!
By Big Fool on 12/07/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1991 Ford Escort GT 2dr Hatchback

This is the only car that sold itself to me! The salesman didn't have to do anything. After the air conditioner was fixed in only 1 year, the next big problem was the air flow meter did not read right, causing the the engine go lean and sputter once the engine warmed up-fixed under the warranty just before it expired. At about '99 the tiny coolant lines that run to the air intake (these set idle speed fast when coolant is cold)busted and my coolant boiled out (see improvement sugg.) It may wear on you cruising the interstate by the hour, the suspension is a bit stiff. But for anything shorter it rides just fine and is good at handling curves.

review of my 91' excort
By FoXyGrL969 on 12/03/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1991 Ford Escort GT 2dr Hatchback

I am the second owner of this car, my aunt bought it brand new and took excellent care of it, and when i turned 16 the car became mine. I had no problems at first but since i've gotten it we've had to replace the alternator 3 times...going on 4 soon. the battery has been replaced many times due to the alternator draining it. Other than the alternator i've had no big problems with it.

What will I do when it's gone?
By Gukchuck on 09/23/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1991 Ford Escort GT 2dr Hatchback

I'm the OEM buyer of this car and it's been great. The mileage, the performance and just the sheer fun of the vehicle. I can stash any of my bicycles into the back (including my recumbent) and the only time it's ever been towed is when the missus parked it badly. The biggest improvement I made was to replace the sport Eagle GT+4 tires with touring tires and replacing the OEM struts with gas charged struts.

13 Years and only two repairs
By julields on 09/17/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1991 Ford Escort GT 2dr Hatchback

I've had my Escort GT for 13 years! I bought it brand new in 1990, have put 160,000 miles on it, and in all that time, I've had only two repairs. One $98 ignition switch and one oil leak (recent) for $300. Less than $400 in 13 years ... not bad. I've taken good care, of course, with oil changes and all scheduled maintenance, but it's still got umph when I need it and the most comfortable seats I've ever found. Huge trunk and room in back seat are bonus, too.

my gt
By jeremy on 09/17/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

had mine with no probs for over 200 thousand miles

Great car!
By Espo on 08/02/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1991 Ford Escort GT 2dr Hatchback

I bought this with 120,000 mi. as a second car for long work commuting. So far it runs great and from what the previous owner told me, it always has. Has nice styling and looks more aggressive than your average Honda Civic.

2nd gen Escort GT's RULE!
By FordMan on 04/05/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1991 Ford Escort GT 2dr Hatchback

Aquired car 1/99 and average 25,000 miles annually. By the end of '03 it will have 200,000 on. ALL ORIGINAL except air filter, belts and water pump. Still has original plugs, wires, sensors etc. Thought about replacing them, but averaging 35 mpg (and 40.8 on trips) I ask myself...WHY? This car sees mostly highway miles, and occassionally the local drag strip.

Very good car
By newb on 01/17/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1991 Ford Escort GT 2dr Hatchback

i liked it a lot, it was the best!!!