1990 Ford Escort Hatchback - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Escort model:
Forced to retire it.
By Jacque on 02/20/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1990 Ford Escort Hatchback LX 2dr Hatchback

After 160,000+ miles it finally started to lose or burn enough oil that I was afraid it would not pass emissions test. Even then, always started on first try no matter what. On original clutch and transmission. Only engine work was head gasket at 130,000. Original ignition module. Hope my new car gives me the same life.

LEMON
By alll on 01/27/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1990 Ford Escort Hatchback LX 2dr Hatchback

Engine rebuilt at 50000km, tranny at 150000km, fuel pump twice, timing belt twice, ball joints and tie rods twice, numerous oil leaks, floor rusted right through

Don't keep long
By novice on 09/12/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1990 Ford Escort Hatchback LX 4dr Hatchback

It's my first car, too. Bought it cheap. Then it sucked huge amount of money in repair, almost triple my purchase price. Bad engine, burn oil. Rattling auto transmission. Narrow interior space. Loose door knobs. Troublesome ignition system (its history showed that it was recalled by manufacturer for this problem, but I didn't know it when I bought it). Slow acceleration.

it broke my heart
By don'tbuyanoldFord on 08/26/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1990 Ford Escort Hatchback LX 4dr Hatchback

It was my first car. There was a little bit more than 100,000 miles on it when I bought it and it was 12 years old. The engine began to rattle after about three months. Then the ignition module broke down. The starter was changed as well. About four months after the purchase the "check engine" light came on. It just could not pick up any speed. The mechanic said it burns oil and is not worth further investment. I was heart- broken. I also found out that I bought it from an unofficial dealer. He must have known the engine was worn out. It was a waste of money and a lot of time at the mechanic's.

Maybe I was lucky?
By Jodenco on 04/30/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1990 Ford Escort Hatchback LX 4dr Hatchback

The Escort we owned was a God send. Always reliable. We got rid of it when the light switch wiring developed a short and it would be too much trouble to replace the harness.

Sound Car
By Wally on 04/20/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1990 Ford Escort Hatchback LX 2dr Hatchback

I purchased the vehicle used with 106,000 miles, paid $1,000 and have gotten over 40,000 miles out of the car since. I've done only minor repairs myself. I have never gotten less than 25 miles per gallon, even driving in the city. One of the most reliable cars I have ever driven.

crap
By stevewine on 03/03/02 15:20 PM (PST)

1990 Ford Escort Hatchback LX 2dr Hatchback

I brought this car new and after 6 mths wished I hadn't . Had mech problems all the time. The ingnition system was a joke, I went thur 3 ingition moduels in a 20 mth. period . Do NOT buy one of these cars.

BIG TROUBLE
By ann on 02/22/02 14:14 PM (PST)

1990 Ford Escort Hatchback Pony 2dr Hatchback

If you have a choice, don't get Ford vehicle older then 4-5 years - it's all just ONE BIG HEADACKE. Only positive aspect of this car - its fuel economy performance - really good. Repairs, maintenance - you'll spend a fortune. Reliability - NONE!