1990 Ford Escort Hatchback - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Escort model:
Good While it Lasted, but in Shop a Lot
By Breaks Every 3 month on 04/03/08 12:42 PM (PDT)

1990 Ford Escort Hatchback LX 2dr Hatchback

I bought this car with 71,000 miles on it. Now, 3 and a half years later, it has almost 103,000 miles. However, I have spent over $1,500 in repairs in the years I owned it. (Bought it for $1,200). I have replaced a ball joint, the fuel pump, spark plug wires, starter, brake line, and the throttle. When I replaced it with a Nissan, the exhaust (at the exhaust manifold) was going bad. Good car, but only if you want to spend lots of money in repairs, and only if you want to be in the shop with it every other month.

Cheap to own.
By matt on 09/26/07 12:51 PM (PDT)

1990 Ford Escort Hatchback LX 2dr Hatchback

Fairly reliable and easy to work on, parts are getting scarce. Enjoyable to drive and good acceleration with 5- speed and 1.9 liter engine.

Great First Car - Except For Repairs
By Gmercedesbenz on 07/30/06 08:29 AM (PDT)

1990 Ford Escort Hatchback LX 2dr Hatchback

This was my first car, and for $500, I'm not complaining. I bought the car with 77,000 miles on it, and it has now 87000 on it, but not without a few replacements. Alternator, starter, distributor, and some front end work was all the major repairs. But I cant' complain about the 30+ mpg! A little more horsepower would be nice, mostly for passing on the highway. But she still does 75 mph with ease on the freeway. Highly unrecommended for a first car!

good little car
By Rogerman on 06/08/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1990 Ford Escort Hatchback LX 2dr Hatchback

I have had this car for almost a year now and its never had any problems altough sometimes it shifts into 2nd kind of hard.

Forced to retire it.
By Jacque on 02/20/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1990 Ford Escort Hatchback LX 2dr Hatchback

After 160,000+ miles it finally started to lose or burn enough oil that I was afraid it would not pass emissions test. Even then, always started on first try no matter what. On original clutch and transmission. Only engine work was head gasket at 130,000. Original ignition module. Hope my new car gives me the same life.

LEMON
By alll on 01/27/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1990 Ford Escort Hatchback LX 2dr Hatchback

Engine rebuilt at 50000km, tranny at 150000km, fuel pump twice, timing belt twice, ball joints and tie rods twice, numerous oil leaks, floor rusted right through

Sound Car
By Wally on 04/20/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1990 Ford Escort Hatchback LX 2dr Hatchback

I purchased the vehicle used with 106,000 miles, paid $1,000 and have gotten over 40,000 miles out of the car since. I've done only minor repairs myself. I have never gotten less than 25 miles per gallon, even driving in the city. One of the most reliable cars I have ever driven.

crap
By stevewine on 03/03/02 15:20 PM (PST)

1990 Ford Escort Hatchback LX 2dr Hatchback

I brought this car new and after 6 mths wished I hadn't . Had mech problems all the time. The ingnition system was a joke, I went thur 3 ingition moduels in a 20 mth. period . Do NOT buy one of these cars.