1990 Ford Escort - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Escort model:
Good While it Lasted, but in Shop a Lot
By Breaks Every 3 month on 04/03/08 12:42 PM (PDT)

1990 Ford Escort LX 2dr Hatchback

I bought this car with 71,000 miles on it. Now, 3 and a half years later, it has almost 103,000 miles. However, I have spent over $1,500 in repairs in the years I owned it. (Bought it for $1,200). I have replaced a ball joint, the fuel pump, spark plug wires, starter, brake line, and the throttle. When I replaced it with a Nissan, the exhaust (at the exhaust manifold) was going bad. Good car, but only if you want to spend lots of money in repairs, and only if you want to be in the shop with it every other month.

Cheap to own.
By matt on 09/26/07 12:51 PM (PDT)

1990 Ford Escort LX 2dr Hatchback

Fairly reliable and easy to work on, parts are getting scarce. Enjoyable to drive and good acceleration with 5- speed and 1.9 liter engine.

Cool Car
By Johnny on 06/04/07 17:34 PM (PDT)

1990 Ford Escort LX 4dr Hatchback

i bought this car a few years ago with 135k and havnt had any major problems with it. I get about 25 mpg in city driving. It's sweet and fun to drive

Fun Car
By Jack on 05/21/07 19:33 PM (PDT)

1990 Ford Escort LX 4dr Hatchback

I bought this car 6 1/2 years ago with 132,000 miles on it. Now has 172K. Very reliable and fun to drive, stands out in a crowd. It gets decent gas mileage, 25 mpg in the city stop and go traffic. (Auto 3 spd) I will keep this car for a while and I have been pleased with it

Great First Car - Except For Repairs
By Gmercedesbenz on 07/30/06 08:29 AM (PDT)

1990 Ford Escort LX 2dr Hatchback

This was my first car, and for $500, I'm not complaining. I bought the car with 77,000 miles on it, and it has now 87000 on it, but not without a few replacements. Alternator, starter, distributor, and some front end work was all the major repairs. But I cant' complain about the 30+ mpg! A little more horsepower would be nice, mostly for passing on the highway. But she still does 75 mph with ease on the freeway. Highly unrecommended for a first car!

Good car for $1200 in 1999
By Jonathan LA on 10/09/05 17:36 PM (PDT)

1990 Ford Escort GT 2dr Hatchback

For the size of the engine the car did well in performance. I added intake and exhaust and noticed a slight difference. Lowering the car also enhanced handling making it fun, as well as taking it drifting and off-roading. The car has been in three accidents (all hit and runs) and has almost nothing to show for it, durability is high on this plastic-bumpered car. Even sold for $1000 five years later in 2004 with 150K miles on it. Bought it for $1200 with 80K miles and only had to do routine maintenance.

good little car
By Rogerman on 06/08/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1990 Ford Escort LX 2dr Hatchback

I have had this car for almost a year now and its never had any problems altough sometimes it shifts into 2nd kind of hard.

Not a bad Car!
By holland1115 on 01/14/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1990 Ford Escort LX 4dr Hatchback

Got the car at 12 years old with 76000 miles. Put 34000 on it and it still starts every time. Only needed regular maintenance, parts wore out, oil, filters and a tuneup. I also put in a fuel pump. It has 100000 mile and is still going strong. Hope my next cars is as reliable.

Good car
By Billy Rad on 01/12/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1990 Ford Escort LX 4dr Hatchback

Good car, reliable, it is a good little car for the money. I will keep this car for years to come.

does good for drifting
By just got one on 09/30/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1990 Ford Escort Pony 2dr Hatchback

only bought it for $350 and blue book is $1000.