2014 Ford Escape Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2014 Ford Escape - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Escape model:

Patience, "flamers"...
By jpserafin

2014 Ford Escape SE 4dr SUV (1.6L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

I know folks who can't accept fact that not everything works 100% 24/7/365! Bought my '14 Escape SE 7 months ago. One problem (below) ONLY issue! My Escape is a solid "works right first-time every time vehicle. 2.0 turbo made it thru last Chicago's MEGA-BRUTAL winter with ZERO issues... no slow-crank, stuck windows/doors, great heat after 4 mi. city driving, MPG dropped less than 6% etc. A few 95+ F days this year were totally bearable due to A++ A/C system. ISSUE: high beam bulb "exploded" one -22F morn, leaving small dark spot on inner surface. Ford replaced entire assy w/o hassle! No squeaks, rattles, noises. SYNC system needs improvement, but iPhone 5 sync works each day,

Like past 5 Ford cars/SUVs bought in last 8 years, no major repairs needed. Worst issue was a stuck fuel door release cable on wife's Fusion. Fixed within 2 days (had to order cable from parts depot), and Ford gave her FREE loaner both days. Love the silence, free from road nor exhaust noise. All vehicles had blast-furnace heat in winter and Artic cold in hot summer. The Fusion had 175k miles, and STILL gets 29 MPG hwy, 18 city using BP 87 octane. BP is only brand used without knock, stumbling, poor accel... This '14 Escape, in HORRIBLE Chicago stop-go-stop more gets 19-22 (not a single tank LESS than that even during severe cold) due to engine warming up quickly.

Like Microsoft's ill-fated Zune portable audio devices, SYNC needs major overhaul. Simpler prompts, more logical layout, etc. are really needed as SYNC is getting quite long in the tooth. iOS / Android / Java would be much better base platforms. I know a few Ford owners who have Bluetooth sync-up issue some of the time, but I guess I've been "lucky". Also another 1 or 2 interior color options would be nice to see. I have the Ruby Red ClearCoat. Can't see why no other color has ClearCoat as standard. Less than $20/car for this added protection & better look.

Great Value S model
By rkelon

2014 Ford Escape S 4dr SUV (2.5L 4cyl 6A)

We have enjoyed the car, it does what we want and have no complaints. No issues. We also have a 2014 CRV ex, same story.

Back up camera, sync.

Aluminum rims standard?

Wish I didn't buy it!
By whatalemon

2014 Ford Escape S 4dr SUV (2.5L 4cyl 6A)

We just hit the six month mark & the the car has been back for service twice in the past 2 weeks. We thought it was recalled, then were told our car was not made at the LA factory or in the month for the recall. Had oil change+ tires checked & rotated while there. The very next week the lift gate handle came off into my hands and the inside tailgate panel was loose from the right hand side to the middle. Back it went for service. Now another week later and the tire pressure light is indicating a problem. My previous car was a beloved 2010 Jeep Liberty that NEVER had service other than oil change. I really regret trading such a great vehicle in on this Escape which I now believe is a lemon.

Reliability Nightmare on 2014 Ford Escape 2.0 AWD
By itsmejs

2014 Ford Escape Titanium 4dr SUV AWD (1.6L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

Nice looking vehicle that has had many issues. When I was looking for a new vehicle it ended up being between the Toyota Rav4 and the Escape. I wish now that I would have chosen the Rav4. Problems and more problems! It took Ford 1-1/2 years to fix my Escape door that would not always latch shut. At least I think it's fixed now. 2.0 engine has intermittent hesitation that Ford has not been able to resolve. Rear differential noise has been repaired twice in 25,000 miles. Trans slips from 1st to 2nd and sometimes downshifts for no reason. Besides the recalls dealing with Ford customer service is just about as bad as calling my cable company.

I like the look of the Escape and when the engine doesn't hesitation it can be fun to drive. It drives well in snow.

It would be nice if Ford stated accurate gas mileage for the Escape as my gas mileage has been lower than advertised. Improve Ford customer service and the reliability of the Escape which is the reason I would not recommended buying this vehicle.

2.0L Turbo AWD Escape is a Great Car for my needs
By sigma1

2014 Ford Escape SE 4dr SUV AWD (1.6L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

Bought a used 2014 Escape 2.0L turbo AWD and have driven over 2,000 miles along the Colorado Front Range of the Rockies. Acceleration and handling are superb on twisty mountain roads and on 75 mph interstates. Cross winds of 40 mph do not affect steering this car at high speeds due to a good aerodynamic design. I purchased the Escape 2.0L AWD because I wanted a performance car with a large interior carrying capacity. I have no complaints and am exceedingly happy with my purchase.

Great acceleration and handling with large interior cargo capacity.

Control panel difficult to figure out.

• SUV