2014 Ford Escape SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2014 Ford Escape - Consumer Reviews

2014 Ford Escape SUV

View reviews for a specific Escape model:

Wind whistle at highway speed
By Sue Gamber

2014 Ford Escape SUV Titanium 4dr SUV AWD (1.6L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

Would love this car, if not for the fact that it whistles when going over 55. An internet search has shown me that this is an ongoing problem with this model Wish I had seen that first. Have had it to the service department over 7 times, and they cannot fix it. Ford tells me I am out of luck. Do yourself a favor, try a different vehicle.

higher trim levels are most compelling
By petalmasher

2014 Ford Escape SUV Titanium 4dr SUV (1.6L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

A little more expensive than others in the class but with great handling and the powerful 2.0 liter engine it's a great car to drive, and the material quality of the dash and door panels is nice enough not to look out of place when you upgrade to leather seats. The infotainment system requires that you take an hour or two to sit down and learn how to use it if you are going to get the most out of it. The suspension smooths vibrations and small bumps out well, but a good sized pot hole can be pretty jarring if you drive through it. I have never gotten gas millage as high as the highway estimates, but also never quit as low as the city estimates. in combined driving I get around 25 mpg.

Favorite Features

Bluetooth/smartphone compatibility works better than in most every other car I have used. (somehow knowing when you are getting directions from Google maps and turning down the radio so you can hear them, but it doesn't play Pandora over the radio unless you actually change the input to the Bluetooth. The Sony stereo is full of Awesome. The larger engine option provides just enough power for me to look forward to on-ramps and passing on the highway without pretending to be a sports car.

Suggested Improvements

It would be nice to have a place to put my phone on the center console. For car this powerful that handles corners so well, not having paddle snifters is shame.

Buy it
By sal96

2014 Ford Escape SUV Titanium 4dr SUV AWD (1.6L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

Amazing! Totally redesigned, the new escape is powerful, sporty, elegant and comfortable. The titanium package is totally worth the extra money. The SONY touch screen gps interface has a lot of good features. The escape accelerates well on the highway, plenty of power when you put your foot down. The panorama roof is very nice. New electric steering is a BIG improvement and you can feel the difference. Above all you can tell Ford did their homework on this one, the escape has a very nice sleek design inside and out, much better than the asian makes. In Southern california, small suvs were for a long time dominated by RAV4s and CRVs. Now I see more of these escapes than the new RAV4.

Favorite Features

panorama roof sony gps system remote start power liftgate 1.6 turbo is fast

Suggested Improvements

some of the interior feels like it has too much plastic, Would be nice to have rear LEDs also not a fan of the front plastic radiator support (they used to be steel), but all cars are like that now.

mixed emotions
By swalcher

2014 Ford Escape SUV Titanium 4dr SUV AWD (1.6L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

14 Escape 2.0L AWD Titanium / Bought used with 25,700 miles on 12/11/14. Bought used thinking all possible issues should be resolved. MPG is terrible at 21 HWY and 17 city. We have now driven this vehicle a 1000 miles and I am ready for my fifth fill-up. The gas gauge appears to be off. At the quarter mark, I am only able to put in about 8.5 gallons. After reading the manual, I discover the term Eco Boost has nothing to do with fuel economy. I haven't really figured out what it means. This vehicle is really easy to get in and out. It has great acceleration but the ride is little bumpy but as short wheel base will cause this issue. The wife loves the car and that's what counts.

Favorite Features

1. Auto rear door opener, when it works. 2. Memory seats. I would never have another vehicle with out this feature. 3. Back-up camera. This should a standard safety feature on all vehicles 4. Remote start. This would really be great if it allowed you turn on the front defroster to clear the windshield in the mornings or after work. It does turn on the rear defroster

Suggested Improvements

Manufactures should have to actual test drive their cars on public streets and roads and report these findings as the true MPG. The idea of reporting some inflated figure with a disclaimer that your actual mileage may very is a slap in the face. I have driven Fords for most of my life but I do not recall ever getting the posted MPG for the model I was driving. Consumer Report 2013 car reports doesn't agree with MPG figures that Ford reports. and I have to agree.

14 escape titanium 2.0l AWD w/nav. and pan roof
By rwalters1

2014 Ford Escape SUV Titanium 4dr SUV AWD (1.6L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

Great so far. traded a 13 Honda crv ex-l on this 14 tit. 2.0l awd. Only drove 1400 miles. the ford makes the Honda feel like it was a ten year old car. Love the power of the 2.0 turbo. Much better than the 1.6 in my fusion se fwd. drives nice feels solid, quiet. put a hitch on. 2000 lb cap. learning to use the nav. and sync. nice features but takes some learning. Will follow up at 10000 miles or so.

Favorite Features

power lift gate. sony radio, 2.0l turbo engine. Sunset paint looks a shade towards orange in the sun then turns red at night. our Honda was the top trim level and had very little equipment, uncomfortable seats and some very odd controls for windows, wipers etc. A.C. was marginal too.

Suggested Improvements

a little more room in the back seat.