2014 Ford Escape - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Escape model:
2014 Ford Escape first impressions are great
By johnjrs3 on 04/22/14 11:16 AM (PDT)

2014 Ford Escape Titanium 4dr SUV AWD (1.6L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

Just bought 2014 Escape Titanium 2.0 liter AWD First 150 miles: 1. Top notch build quality--interior on par with the low end BMW small SUV, quiet 2. European drive-great agility fun to drive 3. Mileage is fine--I am getting 23.5 mpg in mixed driving on a lot of hills--pretty much as expected-no long highway trip yet 4. MyTouch--with all due respect to consumer reports, it was easy to master in 15 minutes and works really well. Has a lot of features that are very convenient and useful. I just don't get all the negative hype about this. Perhaps it is due to non computer savvy folk?

14 Escape SE 1.6
By mosher41 on 04/18/14 10:39 AM (PDT)

2014 Ford Escape SE 4dr SUV AWD (1.6L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

I bought the Escape new on Black Friday and after 5300 miles and several trips back to the dealer....The dealer agreed to pay me back the entire purchase price on this very challanged vehicle. (1) the heat doesnt work very well, (2) the breaks squeal, (3) the interior rattles. I owned a new 2010 and that was a VERY good vehicle 70K miles and only 2 trips to the dealer for recalls/TSBs.

2014 Ford Escape 2.0 L turbo
By mt521 on 03/23/14 07:27 AM (PDT)

2014 Ford Escape Titanium 4dr SUV (1.6L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

I have been disappointed with my Escape since I bought it. I currently have 3000 miles on it and have had it for 5 months. I did extensive research and test drives before picking this car over the Rav 4, CRV and Rogue. One of the main reasons I wanted this car was for the 2.0 L Turbo engine. I have had numerous quality issues. The sync system is over complicated and doesn't work properly with my phone. There is wind noise in the door, the locks freeze on the driver side and I can't get in except through the passenger door. The remote stater works only intermittently. The gas mileage is horrible-17 to 19 mpg. It is winter and the engine is barely broken in so it should get better.

Happy so Far
By happy_texas on 03/18/14 19:00 PM (PDT)

2014 Ford Escape SE 4dr SUV (1.6L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

We bought a 2014 Ford Escape SE with leather interior and the 1.6L ecoboost. We have about 1000 miles on it and so far and are happy with our purchase at this point. So far we are averaging about 23.5 MPG in town and 26.5 MPG on the highway. Ford states the break in period is 1000-2000 miles and then you should start noticing your actual gas mileage. I am hoping the HWY MPG does increase to at least 30 MPG as advertised. We have taken a couple of 90 mile trips in the vehicle and was very comfortable to drive

2014 Ford Escape Titanium 2.0 liter ecoboost
By waltmye on 03/12/14 11:05 AM (PDT)

2014 Ford Escape Titanium 4dr SUV AWD (1.6L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

Bought the 2.0 liter 2014 Ford Escape Titanium from AutoNation Ford in Jacksonville, FL. I now have about 2,500 miles on the vehicle and am perfectly satisfied with all options and accessories including but not limited to Navigation, Sirius radio, sync, My Ford touch, panoramic moon roof, tow package etc. This is a comfortable and smooth riding vehicle which is also well built and easy to look at. I traded in a 2012 Ford Escape for the 2014 and have been very pleased with Ford quality in general and in this vehicle specifically.

Fun Little SUV
By tykesmom2007 on 03/04/14 09:33 AM (PST)

2014 Ford Escape SE 4dr SUV (1.6L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

After 6 years of driving a Ford Focus, I found that although I loved the car, I missed being in an SUV. I have a 2003 Explorer XLT that serves as our boat hauler/ camping vehicle, but needed something comfortable for trips to our mountain house. I've found it. This is an amazingly fun little SUV - handles well, and looks and feels like a much more expensive vehicle. One of the best driving cars I've ever owned. The gas mileage is not on par with my former Focus, but it's an easy trade off for the room and comfort in the Escape.

Do not drive at night
By hueyok on 02/22/14 08:29 AM (PST)

2014 Ford Escape SE 4dr SUV (1.6L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

I have a '14 Escape SE with blinding dash lights. According to Ford technicians, they are suppose to automatically dim in conjunction with the ambient light. For example, if it is daytime and full sun, the dash lights are full bright. Then as it gets toward dusk, the lights dim somewhat. At full night, the dash lights dim more to avoid bright lights in one's eyes. An alalogy to this would be like driving at night and an oncoming car has its lights on bright beam. Then as a courtesy, the person dims the lights to the low beam. This is why I am kaking Ford to task for designing a car that won't dim its dash lights as specified.

Happy with the purchase
By vaiyo on 02/21/14 10:19 AM (PST)

2014 Ford Escape Titanium 4dr SUV AWD (1.6L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

Just bought a 2014 Ford Escape Titanium equipped with the 2.0 liter turbocharged engine new off the lot. I'm very happy with the purchase. I live & work in the hilly suburbs of Pittsburgh, and the 2.0 liter engine has plenty of power and it still handles like a smaller car. I had concerns about the SYNC feature but I'm happy to report that it is not broken like non-Ford salesmen claim. The negative reviews about "functional storage" on the redesigned Escapes are true, though. The glove compartment is small, hard to reach (for the driver), and nearly useless and there is very little in the ways of storage for odds and ends. Trunk space is smaller but opens up with the back seats down.

Non dimming instrument lights
By hueyok on 02/16/14 16:10 PM (PST)

2014 Ford Escape SE 4dr SUV AWD (1.6L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

The dash lights are suppose to automatically dim with the ambient amount of light. Mine don't and I have had it in the shop several times but to no avail. A Ford Representative said in essense, "that is tough and just live with it". There is no advisory on it yet and so they do not have a fix. I was told they don't plan to make one. Maybe on next year's model they will. But according to Ford technicians, this one is designed to do just this. It is a sad fact that Ford will build such complex cars but are unable or unwilling to correct them. Other threads I have read on the internet are experiencing this same problem.

research usability before buying and 2013 model comments..wish we did
By arr1 on 01/29/14 17:02 PM (PST)

We bought a 2014 Escape and noticed the following:
- no driver storage for wallet, change or anything ...only 2 cup holders when not being used;
- glove box is out of reach even for a tall driver and offers no storage capacity;
-transmission blocks dash controls;
- MPG :/
- Center console is useless as a 1.5 foot narrow fishing hole that houses the USB connection half way down;
door panel cup holder is non-functional as it's too narrow to fit our drinks;
some interior plastic is not wearing well;
firm narrow seats

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2014 Ford Escape in VA is:

$149 per month*