Used 2014 Ford Escape SUV Consumer Reviews - 64 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2014 Ford Escape SUV - Consumer Reviews

2014 Ford Escape SUV

View reviews for a specific Escape model:

Buyer Beward
By Mike Y.

2014 Ford Escape SUV SE 4dr SUV (1.6L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

I purchased a 2014 Ford Escape new. Transmission failed at 77k miles. Powertrain warranty is for 60k miles. The owners manual calls for zero maintenance until 150k miles. I reached out to Ford to try recoup costs for this lemon and they refused. Replacement transmission cost $5,900 with tax and labor. Considering sticker price was around $30,000, one would expect the transmission to last longer than the first set of tires. I was wrong. Hopefully others will find a better quality vehicle.

Love the escape
By Nicholas Young

2014 Ford Escape SUV S 4dr SUV (2.5L 4cyl 6A)

I did a lot of research on small suv's and the escape hasn't disappointed.

Don't buy a Ford.
By Randy Brockman

2014 Ford Escape SUV SE 4dr SUV AWD (1.6L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

Steering wheel is offset to the right just enough to not be inline with the dash gauges. They lied about the MPG. You can figure on the tradin-value to lose at the rate of $10k per year for the first two. Horrible wind noise, you can't roll the windows down at 55mph and keep your hearing.

60K Miles, 4200 pounds on a truck scale, 27MPG HWY
By Mr Shrimp

my "major " problems? Rear wire fell off on day#1
the plastic pull down handle on gate split apart 1 year.
I am a car guy not a whiner so I put two Deck Screws in the
handle and used two plastic tie wraps to secure the two halfs.
Works great!
I am 250 pounds myself! My tool bags are at least the same.
My Gas mileage is very good I think. 4WD is AWESOME. First day I had it
we got 2 feet of snow in Watertown NY and It was not plowed in the downtown area
and the Escape drove thru like it was nothing. I use Firestone Snow Tires.
I am worried about the 1.6 motor failing so I change oil evry 3K miles. Knock on
Wood no troubles at all! 60K miles. Looking to go to 125K and then replace.

Trouble-Free in nearly 40K miles.
By Lawrence R Henty

2014 Ford Escape SUV SE 4dr SUV AWD (1.6L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

OK, so I had to replace the left front parking light bulb two weeks after we took delivery. Otherwise, the only times this car has been in the shop in its first 39K miles are the regular maintenance procedures (oil & filter changes, tire rotations, etc) done at the dealer's shop every 5K miles. Three weeks after delivery we had a 6- to 8-inch snowfall, with moderately heavy (wet) snow. I spent a couple hours driving on unsanded hills, through plowed snowbanks at driveways, around unplowed parking lots behind the business section, purposely putting this SUV into situations where getting stuck would be no surprise. The "Intelligent 4WD" performed perfectly, keeping me on the move with no loss of traction. My wife and I both drive this vehicle, and we both find the seating comfortable and the ride acceptably smooth. What it lacks in smoothness it more than makes up in handling and stability, excellent cornering, and quick responsiveness on the steering wheel and the accelerator. All-round fuel economy is 24.3 mpg; on a 2000-mile vacation trip just completed it was 27.8, with the air-conditioning operating the whole way. As a rule, we do not burn rubber on starts, but I have found no lack of power when I needed quick acceleration to merge with fast-moving traffic. The 6-speed transmission shifts smoothly, and the ecoboost turbo kicks in without the hesitation reported by some users. I often use the "S" position on the transmission selector lever to control downshifting on hills and on stop-sign approaches, to save the brakes, careful to not over-rev the engine. Both of us like the placement of the shift lever at the angled intersection of the center console and the instrument panel. At our last dealer maintenance service, the techs measured the tread in the tires, and told me all four tires show even wear, and have sufficient remaining tread to be street-legal for at least another 15K miles. There have been no interior rattles or squeaks in this car, or defects in form-fit-function. Road noise is sometimes an issue, but that depends on the type of road surface. I expected cross-wind gusts to compromise stability on the road, because of the higher profile vs. our previous sedans, but this has not proven to be an issue. One day shortly after we bought our Escape, a friend asked what I liked most about it. My instantaneous reply was " It's easy to get into and out of". (This is a big plus for folks in their 70's.) We have found the rear seat to be less comfortable than the front bucket seats, but acceptable at least for short trips. On most mornings I get heat from the dashboard ducts about half-way into the 2-mile trip to my coffee shop. On very cold (single-digit) mornings it takes most of that four-minute trip to get noticeable heat -- very acceptable. The rear cargo space is adequate for shopping trips for this two-person household. With the rear seats folded down on our recent vacation trip, the full cargo deck was more than sufficient to carry 3 large luggage bags, three smaller travel bags, a box for snacks and water bottles, and 8 large cartons of dishes which we delivered to a china & glassware replacement service, plus hanging clothes and sundry other items. My only complaint about our 2014 Escape is the "infotainment" panel located in the center of the dashboard, because its operating logic is so convoluted that it defies this simple but rational ex-computer programmer's ability to understand it. In 1979 I bought a new Sedan de Ville and kept it for 10 years. In the past, I've always considered that Caddy to be the best auto I've ever owned. But so far, this versatile 2014 Escape is far more fun to drive, and less trouble to own.