2014 Ford Escape Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2014 Ford Escape - Consumer Reviews

2014 Ford Escape

View reviews for a specific Escape model:

2.0L Turbo AWD Escape is a Great Car for my needs
By sigma1

2014 Ford Escape SE 4dr SUV AWD (1.6L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

Bought a used 2014 Escape 2.0L turbo AWD and have driven over 2,000 miles along the Colorado Front Range of the Rockies. Acceleration and handling are superb on twisty mountain roads and on 75 mph interstates. Cross winds of 40 mph do not affect steering this car at high speeds due to a good aerodynamic design. I purchased the Escape 2.0L AWD because I wanted a performance car with a large interior carrying capacity. I have no complaints and am exceedingly happy with my purchase.

Favorite Features

Great acceleration and handling with large interior cargo capacity.

Suggested Improvements

Control panel difficult to figure out.

A big disappointment
By patinportland

2014 Ford Escape Titanium 4dr SUV (1.6L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

I bought this vehicle thinking that for the compact space I would get descent gas mileage. well I get 17 MPG in city and 26 on highway - far below what I was told back seat has little room if front seat passengers are tall. lots of rattles and road noise. Have taken it in for issues three times in first year. The console is designed poorly and not a lot of handy storage, compared to the Toyotas or Hondas I have owned this is a great disappointment in terms of quality and design

Favorite Features

not much

Suggested Improvements

gas mileage functions of the interior interior space

Never Again
By huns8

2014 Ford Escape SE 4dr SUV AWD (1.6L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

I purchased a 2014 ford escape and within the first year the car was was hesitating while changing gears at 40km and also something in the morning would stick and would accelerate up the street. We would go from 0km to 50km.They tried to fix the issue 3 times with no success. They had to rebuild my transmission. Nobody at Ford wanted to help except offer free oil changes. never again will I buy a Ford a big piece of junk

Favorite Features

Like the navigation system

Suggested Improvements

Make sure there cars last longer than 1 year. Sad when my kia lasted longer

Escape the Escape!
By escapeescape

2014 Ford Escape Titanium 4dr SUV AWD (1.6L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

Worst purchase ever! True lemon! Bought Jan 2014. Day 1: passenger headlight out. 3 trips to dealer, got it replaced. Then back to dealer for: rear lift gate out of alignment and sometimes doesn't close at all(4x tried to get it repaired), exterior lights periodically flash by themselves, SYNC won't display txt msgs (did once), door seals are horrible (TONS of dust), abnormal lag when accelerating to highway speeds, AC failed on first use, windshield wiper hits driver's side upright, 14,000 miles-lots of rattles, rear shocks just replaced, driver's window has mind of its own, headliner sagging in rear, driver presets do not return, poor performance of AC when it does work, etc.

Favorite Features

At this point, all of the "nice" features are overshadowed by the pure s*** nature of the car. DO NOT BUY ONE! Absolute junk car. Have contacted lemon law attorney. Going to trade in as soon as possible, for something reliable--a 2015 Toyota Tacoma.

Suggested Improvements

Has been in shop total of 19 days since purchase. Rear lift gate opened by itself once, sitting in a parking lot, car off, dog in back escaped. Dealer cites "user error" on lift gate. Really? Sorry, I guess I need to go to class to learn how to click a button to close it. ?? This is the 2.0L engine (no option to select this in forms). It gets, at best, 21 MPG on mostly highway use. Sticker states 28. Worst $35,000 ever spent. As reference, we are a professional couple with income above $200,000/yr combined. We are clean, drive responsibly and take excellent care of our belongings. This car is junk. Period. Do not buy one.

Excellent small SUV
By bobby_boise

2014 Ford Escape Titanium 4dr SUV AWD (1.6L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

I'm amazed to hear the complaints by others of bad gas mileage and the Sync system. I'll address those first. A 2012 Escape with the V-6 has much less HP and torque and will only get about 19mpg city. Our 2014 2.0 Eco Boost gets around 22 to 23 in the city commute with 240 HP, it's got more power than my 1985 Mustang GT. It scoots! Plus the MPG is 15% higher than its V-6 predecessor. What about that isn't awesome. The engine is so good you can find it in the Range Rover Evoque at 40-50k. Any complaints here just can't be non-agenda driven. The SYNC system is very intuitive to us. No problems at all. I'm not really sure what is so difficult to understand.

Favorite Features

The ENGINE is my favorite. This baby is fast, responsive and fun to drive. We moved from a 2006 Range Rover Sport to our Escape. The Rover was quieter and a bit more roomy on the passenger side. We really don't miss the plush comfy ride like I thought we might. The Escape rides great on the city streets and interstate. Handles great and the steering feels solid. The engine is very smooth and quiet, much nicer than you expect! It's easy to feel this car is an extension of yourself. It's an awesome SUV and the foot activated lift gate is an awesome feature. Everyone stops to watch it when you're at the grocery store. It's convenient and is not just a gadget.

Suggested Improvements

I'm a little leery of all the plastic parts on the outside. I'm wondering how they will weather over time. We keep ours garaged and maintained inside and out so it should hold up ok. I'm fond of little to no plastic on the outside of cars. It could be quieter in the Titanium trim, but that's a nit pick and our standard is a $65k Range Rover so take it for what it is worth. Cup holders could stand to be set a little further apart. Either eat into the arm rest or shifter and get us room for 2 large drinks for those long highway trips you have out here in the west. Leather could be softer, but once again that probably is a function of the vehicle's place in the market.