Nice car, but....
By brandonjones81 on
2013 Ford Escape Titanium 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)
Like many people on here I find most of the 2013 Escape impressive. It is truly fun to drive and spacious enough for my small family, while handling well in cities and fitting into tight parking spaces. I have seen many posts on this car, and others about the misrepresented EPA mpg numbers and must agree, this vehicle falls far short of those claims and the marketing around the vehicle. Many of these posts end up being squashed by people who comment and claim driver error. I got better average mpg in my previous car, a 2000 Impala with a 3.4L v6. I also had to rent a car, a VW cc with a similar engine. It claimed 32 mpg highway, and that is exactly what i got. This car averages 21.5.
Favorite Features
Answering calls with a steering wheel so I dont have to fumble with a phone or hands free device. Voice recognition works well. Car has very little body roll around tight turns, its compact wheel base makes it easy to park. Hands free lift gate comes in handy more often then one would think. heated seats are nice, all the convenience features are well designed. exterior design looks nice, took me a while to get used to it from my first impression, but I like it.
Suggested Improvements
We really need mpg figures to be accurate. Feeling like you have been misled overshadows all of the things I like about the vehicle. I was considering a VW Jetta Sport Wagen TDI. I chose the ford because i thought I could get at least 25 mpg, and perhaps more since i do a majority of my miles on freeways. I will lose too much money to sell this car and trade it in, so I regrettably will keep it for now and take my lumps. I really wanted to support my American manufacturer who did not take bail out money and is coming up with fresh high mileage vehicles. I won't make this mistake again.
By rhut
on 02/05/13 18:32 PM (PST)

feel with you....just my two cents of experience with this otherwise great SUV at now 1500 miles (Titanium AWD). 1. mileage gets better every other 300 miles. 2. for me switching to premium gas (Shell V-power) made all the difference...now I easily obtain 21 city even not holding back with the power of the engine and I get 28 to 30 mpg highway when going 65 to 70. 3. Going faster than 70 on highway makes mileage drop like a rock also with premium.....my other car a MB CLS AWD with 402 hp 4.7 l bi-turbo V8 gets 27 mpg at constant 80...the Escape drops to 19-20 at that speed...even sleek and modern SUV's have much worse aerodynamics than cars and their mileage is so much more speed sensitive. But especially if you compare/cross-shopped Diesel try Premium !!! Also helps with the rather small tank size and engine is even more responsive and smooth with it !!