My take after 1800 miles.
By mfd4300 on
2013 Ford Escape Titanium 4dr SUV AWD (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)
So I have had my 2013 for 2.5 weeks now, ready to share my insight. I had the 2010 6cy escape before this new one. I average 50,000 miles a year, for me its all about the drive and interior comfort, looks are not important to me. I am a ford guy and really wish I could get my old escape back. In my opinion not a fan at all of the new design, overall I think it will hurt ford sales. I consider this a saftey issue, and will bet on a recall eventualy. The gas pedal is way to close to the brake pedal. I have a size 12 foot and drive with sneakers on, I barely have enough room between the brake pedal and center console, imposible with work or snow boots on.
Favorite Features
What I like in the new 2013 compared to my old 2010 AWD 6cy. The drive is very smooth and extremly quiet a huge diffrence. The 2.0L Turbo is very fast with great response when I press the gas, would say it is faster or gets up to speed quicker then the old. Love the way the rear sets fold down, making use of the cargo area user friendly. I do like the steering wheel design, feels sturdier, looks better and overall controls are better. Really like the digital screen that shows miles, mpg, trip info. There is not much more I like.
Suggested Improvements
What I don't like. The seats are considerable smaller, very flat, and alot harder then the old. Ford claims the vehicle has more room, but not the case maybe if your in the back seat. The cockpit is very small and tight, there is half the space, I am an average build 5ft 11in guy and their is no moving around in this model. The AC is nice and cold when your moving, shuts down completely when your stuck in traffic or not moving, I think this is a fuel saving feature, or ford want you to feel what a sauna is. All that nice center console storage space and little areas for your phone and pens are completly gone. Overall, the tight and cramped feeling and lack of space up front kills this model.
By mfd4300
on 07/11/12 14:07 PM (PDT)

Ran out of room. So I will continue here. FUEL MILAGE... My old 2010 6cyl AWD averaged 22 MPG according to the dash read out. Fuel tank, when I filled up, I could go approx 330 miles to empty. The new 2.0L 4cyl Turbo is averaging 20.5 MPG, that is using regular gas. BEWARE ford is claiming high MPG but that is based off of Premium fuel. This is real life info, what a disappointment, and to figure that my company got me the new model to save gas what a joke. I have run the tank empty twice to 2 miles to empty and packed the tank full on fill up and can only get 13.5 gallons in before it spews out. Ford claims 15 gallon tank, so I find myself filling almost every day, I can only go 260/270 miles before empty again. Double wammied on the fuel issue.

By frdrang03
on 08/14/12 15:49 PM (PDT)

I have 2003 ford ranger and a 2012 escape both get great MPGs as a mechanic and knowledge of the system I have to tell you the ECU's learn how you drive and is all electronically controlled so if your getting Poor MPG's its cause you have too heavy of a foot. you can tell this with the Bar graph in the display. Its commonsense the hard and faster you lay down the pedal the more fuel your going to use its all in the driver and everyone is different. Just like there opinions I feel for is make ten time the effort then any other manufacture in the industry right now, and I think is ballsy for them to be changing there direction in such a tough market and I feel they are doing it well and at times Better then Toyota or Honda. I a true Patriot and support my country no matter what, its the only true American manufacture out there. Daimler Chrysler was bought buy Fiat 2 years ago and GM is all about corp gain and gov politics. Ford has continually listen to Customer demands and paid off 95% of there corp Debt, Go ford

By kirkcarver
on 07/22/12 06:37 AM (PDT)

I own a 3.5L Ecoboost engine (F150). I too was a bit disappointed at first in the mileage. Then I analyzed the situation: 1) The engine is far more powerful than preceding engines. That power has to come from somewhere -- fuel. 2) The weight of your foot factors heavily into the mpg. If you consistently kick in the turbo, you'll get worse mileage. This is a given with a turbo engine. 3) Do you drive primarily in an urban setting (even urban highways count)? If so, you will get worse gas mileage. The engine is not really good for city situations. However, it shines on the highway. With my 3.5L 4WD supercrew, I get 20 mpg on the highway. That's a marked improvement over past vehicles... and I can tow a 10K pound trailer if I need to without the truck complaining.