Used 2013 Ford Escape SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2013 Ford Escape SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Escape model:

Our last Ford
By southtx

2013 Ford Escape SUV SEL 4dr SUV (1.6L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

Just traded off our '13 1.6L Ecoboost with 28k miles after finally losing confidence in the vehicle. The stylish interior and Ford loyalty sold us to begin with, but the several recalls and follow-up notifications that the recall work might not have been done correctly took a toll (nine documented service events, and a handful of 'quick fix' visits). While we had no problems at all with the navigation, the rest of the MyFordTouch system was even 'buggier' than what's prominently mentioned in reviews. It never worked properly (or with any pattern of consistency) from the day the vehicle was new. Fuel economy was never anything near what's advertised. Wind noise was very bad.

Memory seats are a great feature. Unfortunately, ours changed positions with no input from us... we never knew where the seat would be. The SYNC/Nav display graphics and resolution are top-notch. Cimate control system was good; blew very cold and quickly cooled the vehicle down. Very attractive and stylish dash.

My biggest complaint with this vehicle was Ford's response to complaints with MFT (which is NO response, because they consider it a 'convenience'). Seats, while comfortable enough, look like the same seats used in the previous generation Escape. They don't really 'fit' with the otherwise snazzy interior.

Good Vehicle
By lee169

2013 Ford Escape SUV SEL 4dr SUV (1.6L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

I did a lot of research on the 2013 Escape before buying and found lots of negative comments. I was seriously considering buying something else until I found a forum and found 300% more positive comments. I bought mine recently and here's some positive reviews. - MPG: go easy on the gas petal and you will get or exceed the EPA MPG. I drove mine around Houston then to Ft Worth and avg 30.3 and that was using turbo 2-3 times. - Recalls: Ford is trying to fix problems...recalls are good. Yes, they are annoying, but better fixed than nothing. - Everything else: Interior/Exterior trim is great. Seats CAN be comfortable, take the time to set them up properly. Overall great car!

EcoDriving. It's actually kind of fun on long trips to try to get the best possible MPG. It's kind of like a game at points. Sync.... It's a toy, it's a computer....sometimes I like it, others not so much. You will hear people complain about it, but you can do everything manually just as easily as voice activated. Don't let it deter you from getting the vehicle.

Wish Ford would offer after purchase rear view camera install.

Never Again
By sarahh2

2013 Ford Escape SUV Titanium 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

I had previously purchased a 2007 Mariner that I loved, but the new model Escapes are nothing like the old version. Between test driving the car and having it delivered from the dealership, the brakes warped, so I was back at the dealership within the first week of owning it. In the 7 months that I owned this vehicle, I also had it serviced for the driver's side window that wouldn't go up when it was cold out, the rear drivers side door wouldn't latch when it was cold, the computer had to be reset b/c the transmission delayed after depressing gas. Final straw was failure of the restraint control module, which activated 3 warning lights (traction control, airbag and hillside assist failure).

The model I owned was actually a 2.0L SE model, which had great pickup and horsepower, thanks to the bigger engine. Luckily, that engine has not yet been recalled, like the 1.6L. I liked the 2-tone interior and the blindspot mirrors... and that's about it.

Ford needs to make drastic changes to improve the safety and reliability of this car. The biggest frustration was the MySync feature, which only worked about 1/2 the time and was so difficult to get Bluetooth Audio to work that most of the time I just listened to the radio (which completely defeats the purpose of BT Audio). I only received max 22 MPG on the highway, a far cry from the 29 MPG they boast from the EcoBoost engine. Just recently unloaded the Escape for a VW Jetta Sportwagen (at a loss, but worth it for added peace of mind).

Disappointed in my 2013 Ford Escape Titanium
By kellyg511

2013 Ford Escape SUV Titanium 4dr SUV AWD (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

Purchased my 2013 Ford Escape Titanium in November, 2012. Since then, I have had numerous mechanical/electronic problems. Faulty door hands, a power lift gate that didn't work, a bluetooth phone system that no one could hear me on, a radio with no sound, a defroster that didn't work secondary to radio issues, steering issues, and most recently a blown transmission. My last trip to the repair shop lasted 51 days. I am left with nothing but aggravation and what I believe to be an unreliable/unsafe vehicle. Have an ongoing case with Ford Motor Company, which has been passed through nine people - none of which have given me any support. Asking ford to repurchase my vehicle. I've had enough.

Nothing at this point. Such a disappointment.

Ford Motor Company should not be okay with customers paying close to 40K for a vehicle that has so many issues. My main suggested improvement is better customer service. Having my case passed through so many representatives does not make me feel like you care - it conveys the message of the complete opposite. That they do not care. Very sad. My father has worked for Ford for almost 35 years and is devastated by the trouble I have been having...and the lack of assistance available.

Too Many Safety Issues and Recalls
By walk_the_walk2

2013 Ford Escape SUV SE 4dr SUV AWD (1.6L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

This car had a major mechanical breakdown involving cam phazors at 730 miles, which required a major engine rebuild. Then the recalls started... there are 10 all total for 2013 Escapes; 4 affect my car - two related to the engine catching on fire, one for air bag (RSM) module programming and one for "door latch problems that can lead to doors flying open while driving". The airbag RSM failed at 8600 mi. Asked FORD to BUY BACK this vehicle, after the 2nd recall (engine fire). They REJECTED our request. Today I was told they would "NEVER buy back our car". Shocked to learn of 2 new recall issues 2 days ago, 5 days after the BB denial. Our FORD rep knew of safety issues but didn't tell us!!

Nice exterior design, comfy seats, very peppy and fun to drive, lots of high tech features.

Make the car safe! THIS CAR IS "UNSAFE AT ANY SPEED". Stand behind your design and RECALL THE ONES THAT ARE NOT SAFE. FMC is working the lemon laws depending on which state you buy the car in, and they are not going to do the right thing and buy back your car unless you sue them in court. At least, this is the message I got from FORD today. So, we feel stuck with an unsafe deathtrap and lemon vehicle. WE WERE GOING TO BUY A 2014 FORD EXPLORER BUT WILL NEVER BUY FORD AGAIN.

• SUV