Used 2013 Ford Escape SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2013 Ford Escape SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Escape model:

High style. Zippy and Fun to Drive
By albyg

2013 Ford Escape SUV SEL 4dr SUV AWD (1.6L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

I recently bought a 2013 Escape SEL with 13,900 miles on it. We have only had it for a week, so I don't have a lot of experience with it yet. But, the time I have had driving it has been rewarding. Compared to the archaic, Jeep Cherokee Limited which it replaced, it is a little larger, yet drives like a sports car. The 1.6 liter EcoBoost is powerful and responsive. The handling of this little SUV is really nice, the steering is quick and extremely responsive while the suspension provides a firm, nimble ride. The brakes are very good, although touchy - requiring a light, controlled foot. Our average gas mileage, for mixed city-highway is 26MPG, but includes 2 70 mile trips.

Interior and exterior styling is very nice. Engine is powerful and responsive. 4 wheel drive. Handles very well. Great suspension, wide sporty tires. Responsive brakes. Interior lighting is pretty amazing with all the different colors we can choose. Spacious cargo area, fits our dog's large kennel easily with room to spare. Dual climate control and seat warmers are a plus. The Ford-Sync features are over the top for this 58 year old reviewer and quite wonderous. I cannot comment on this amenity as of yet; there is much to learn. One has to be careful to pay attention to the road and not get wrapped up with all the technological foo-fa-doo; or so my wife keeps telling me.

Some of the interior components seem a little cheap, but for the most part are pretty luxurious. Rear view is limited. This issue has been taken care of in the 2014 models with rear view and side view alert sensors. I would give five stars but need to see how it holds up over time.

Buyer Beware
By srghmn

2013 Ford Escape SUV SE 4dr SUV (1.6L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

Trouble almost from day one. Car pulls to the side during acceleration, it shifts very hard like it is having transmission problems. Had it recalled 3 different times leaving me with a rental car for weeks. The radio does not always turn off when I open the door to exit the vehicle, sometimes it does, sometimes it doesn't. The rear lift gate doesn't always lock, it allows you to open it but then the alarm goes off. You never know if the blue tooth system will connect to my phone thru the speakers or thru privacy mode. Turning radius is horrible, and visibility is the worst in any vehicle I have ever had. Trading it ASAP.

the key pad on the door panel, I will hate to lose that when I trade this lemon off

Visibility, turning radius, electronic systems are not reliable

Great Compact SUV!
By ykolettis

2013 Ford Escape SUV Titanium 4dr SUV AWD (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

Got this as a second car to spare my '11 M3 winter wear and tear in the Midwest. Test drove the Santa Fe, RAV4, CR-V and CX-5 before settling on the Escape. Have had the car for five months and still very much enjoy driving it daily.

I really like the exterior sheet-metal, though some may consider it equal parts "feminine" and "sporty." Extremely well appointed and comfortable interior. The front seats are super comfy and supportive and seem meant for long road trips. Seat heaters get HOT quickly (which is great with freezing outdoor temps). First car I've owned with remote start and I love it. Panoramic sunroof creates an openness to the cabin. Power liftgate actually practical and helpful when you have grocery bags in both hands. The premium Sony stereo sounds great.

Gas mileage!!!! It does barely better than my M3 in mixed city/hwy driving. 18mpg with a 250 mile range for a 2L four cyl?!? And I'm not particularly heavy footed on the gas or use the remote start often. By far the least appealing feature of the car. On the highway, I can squeeze 24mpg if I keep speed limit around 65... Include a heated steering wheel and heated rear seats in the winter package. Allow change or entry of data into the NAV system while car is in motion. My older Lexus used to lock out in the same way. BMW doesn't. It isn't like the infotainment center doesn't distract us with a multitude of other options while we're driving... Add a few more cubby holes for storage.

good suv bad seats
By billho94

2013 Ford Escape SUV SEL 4dr SUV AWD (1.6L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

First thing i would like to say is I'm a Nissan car salesman. I have no bias with domestic vehicles. The escape rides beautifully. I drove a rental from Atlanta, Ga to Green Bay, Wi through a major storm. No problems at all. The seats are the problem. Nissan has the zero gravity seats which are 100% more comfortable than the Ford seat. The engine and transmission work together just fine. Great visibility

Climate control was good. Love the awd. Good torque and power.

Seats, Seats, Seats

Disappointed
By huskymomma

2013 Ford Escape SUV SE 4dr SUV (1.6L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

I traded in a Rav4 lease for this 2013 Escape. On the plus side the power is fantastic and it looks great. On the neg side less room than the Rav, milege is no where near the 30 highway even after reaching the 5K mile break in period. Controls are difficult to reach. Everything falls out of the glove box when you open it and it is very small. It doesn't feel as solid. This is my first American car in a long time. I will go for the Honda CRV next time. Very disappointed.

The power is great. I do a lot of highway driving and this vehicle can get it done safetly and efficiently.

Control placement. More storage room. Better mileage.