Used 2013 Ford Escape Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2013 Ford Escape - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Escape model:

Most Helpful|
Never Again
By sarahh2

2013 Ford Escape Titanium 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

I had previously purchased a 2007 Mariner that I loved, but the new model Escapes are nothing like the old version. Between test driving the car and having it delivered from the dealership, the brakes warped, so I was back at the dealership within the first week of owning it. In the 7 months that I owned this vehicle, I also had it serviced for the driver's side window that wouldn't go up when it was cold out, the rear drivers side door wouldn't latch when it was cold, the computer had to be reset b/c the transmission delayed after depressing gas. Final straw was failure of the restraint control module, which activated 3 warning lights (traction control, airbag and hillside assist failure).

Favorite Features

The model I owned was actually a 2.0L SE model, which had great pickup and horsepower, thanks to the bigger engine. Luckily, that engine has not yet been recalled, like the 1.6L. I liked the 2-tone interior and the blindspot mirrors... and that's about it.

Suggested Improvements

Ford needs to make drastic changes to improve the safety and reliability of this car. The biggest frustration was the MySync feature, which only worked about 1/2 the time and was so difficult to get Bluetooth Audio to work that most of the time I just listened to the radio (which completely defeats the purpose of BT Audio). I only received max 22 MPG on the highway, a far cry from the 29 MPG they boast from the EcoBoost engine. Just recently unloaded the Escape for a VW Jetta Sportwagen (at a loss, but worth it for added peace of mind).

Disappointing
By crd1029

2013 Ford Escape S 4dr SUV (2.5L 4cyl 6A)

I had been researching small SUVs and hatchbacks for months, anxiously awaiting several of the new offerings. One was the 2013 Ford Escape. My wife and I arrived at the dealer the day their first base S Escape arrived. We really liked the exterior look of the car and were excited to drive it. After 20 min., we were very disappointed. The levers and knobs were cheap plastic and the seats were very hard. The ride was extremely stiff and we felt every ripple in the road. The engine was buzzy and loud starting from the rest position. We quickly realized this car may be all right for zipping around town, but would tire you out on any longer trip. We ended up buying a Nissan Rogue. MUCH nicer- fun

Favorite Features

exterior

Suggested Improvements

softer suspension, better quality plastics inside, better quality seats

2013 Escape has overheated twice now after recall fix
By jerseygirl77

2013 Ford Escape SE 4dr SUV AWD (1.6L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

There is something wrong with the 1.6L engine & transmission combo. My car has overheated twice after doing uphill climbs in the California hills. I'm guessing the transmission is overheating since it never knows what gear to be in, which is causing the turbo to overheat. Ford can't seem to figure out what's wrong though. If you search on the DOT website for complaints, the overheating post recall is popping up a bit. You can also see all the other transmission problems this car is having if you search around on the Ford Escape forums.

Suggested Improvements

Stop selling the 1.6L engine since it doesn't work well with this transmission. I've never had a problem with the Ford Kuga (European version). Just bring diesel to the US.

Life with the escape
By bbgun1

2013 Ford Escape SE 4dr SUV (1.6L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

10,000 miles now. Rides better but still poor. Poor controls and you can not turn on the front wiper with out turning on the rear. Oor fuel economy. It now gets 22 mpg on the highway and 22 around town. various electrical glitches. Radio stays on when car is locked and doors are closed. No passing gear after 60 mph. would not recomend this car to anyone.

Favorite Features

Good seats.

Suggested Improvements

Suspension to stiff, ford sinc works 80% of the time. Poor fuel economy.

Be Warned
By ken117

2013 Ford Escape SE 4dr SUV AWD (1.6L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

Had a 2013 Ford Escape since April 2103. Got rid of it in July 2014. I was fooled by the seemingly positive reviews which swayed me over past experiences with Ford. Five recalls and a seemingly endless list series of issues. Some small like defective trim to some not so small. Things like the radio volumn which was never satisfactory or an issue with the cooling system which took three days to fix. Thankfully, the thing was still under warranty. Knowing Ford, I owned three previous Ford mistakes, better to trade. Seriously, my BMW had way fewer issues than this Ford. Ford, never again!

Favorite Features

Not many, since nothing seemed to work properly. I did like the size.

Suggested Improvements

Quality, quality, quality.