Used 2013 Ford Escape Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2013 Ford Escape - Consumer Reviews

2013 Ford Escape

View reviews for a specific Escape model:

Horrible gas mileage and resale is horrendous
By stack2

2013 Ford Escape Titanium 4dr SUV AWD (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

I bought my Escape Titanium not even a year ago. It was the first Ford I had purchased and liked it enough to buy my wife an Explorer. Overall fit and finish is descent and the performance has been good. However the gas mileage has been horrendous! I am averaging 19 MPG in mostly highway miles when the car is supposed to get 21 city, 28 highway, 24 combined. It doesn’t matter how you drive it, the absolute best I have seen is 21 on the highway. I have also had numerous issues with the parking sensors going off on their own, and the BLIS popping up warning alerts and the navigation freezing. When I take it to the dealer they state they can’t find anything wrong.

Favorite Features

The car is fun to drive and the 2.0 liter turbocharged ecoboost engine is a blast, I just wish the gas mileage would be “close” to what they advertise!

Suggested Improvements

The most depressing thing about the car is resale! I put 19,000 miles on the car in 10-months and the gas mileage is killing me. The sticker on the car was $37,420 and I took it in to be appraised for trade-in. The car is literally like brand new, loaded, not a scratch and I’m being offered $20,000! A $17,000 loss unbelievable - what a rip off! We got rid of my wife’s Explorer last week because it also had horrible (less than advertised) mileage and also lost $9,000 on it. Bottom line, Fords have horrible (way less than advertised) gas mileage and their resale is horrendous. I like the vehicles, but we will not be buying any more Fords – ever!

2013 Ford Escape AWD
By gailgwen

2013 Ford Escape Titanium 4dr SUV AWD (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

I bought this car when it first came out. It handles well and is peppy. My biggest complaint is the gas miles: 17 miles in town (worse than my 2003 Explore) and if I am lucky I get 23 miles on the highway. I can barely get 200 miles on a full tank highway driving. Also, I have the towing package, the kicking the leg under the rear bumper is not possible. Finally, the seats front seats are small.

Terrible MPG, Bad Interior Design
By roadkingmi

2013 Ford Escape SE 4dr SUV (1.6L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

We have owned our Escape for 1 year and 13,000 miles, and it has been very disappointing. We bought the car because it was great looking with great "advertised" gas mileage... and have been disappointed ever since! The gas Mileage is not even close to advertised, more like 18-20 city, 24-26 hwy (on 2400 mile trip with cruise control) and 21=22 avg. The interior design is at first comfortable, until you realize that other than a coffee mug there is no place to put any thing except the very narrow and deep center console storage (once down there forget about finding it again) also all the electronic plug ins are in there under the arm rest very inconvenient

Favorite Features

Exterior styling, power lift gate, rear seats that fold flat

Suggested Improvements

GAS MILEAGE! Interior convenience

One of my all time least favorite cars
By thorpaj

2013 Ford Escape SE 4dr SUV AWD (1.6L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

This car has been in my possession for 9 months. I drive a lot of company vehicles and rentals through my job, and this is just not a very good vehicle. It is noisy, does not handle well, has very hard gear shifts at times, absolutely terrible rear view site lines, gets about 22.5 mpg with almost all highway driving (cruise control mostly). For the price get a way better sedan, there really is not all that much more room it he trunk to warrant getting this over a good sedan. Heck I had the fusion hybrid as my previous vehicle and it was great. Oh, one last thing, the acceleration is inadequate, sometimes I need a quick burst for highway driving and there is a dangerous 2 second lag.

Favorite Features

Interior layout, power driver seat. It looks decent from the outside.

Suggested Improvements

Fix MPG issues, redesign rear sight lines, fix transmission, ...heck just start over, this was not ready for the market.

High style. Zippy and Fun to Drive
By albyg

2013 Ford Escape SEL 4dr SUV AWD (1.6L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

I recently bought a 2013 Escape SEL with 13,900 miles on it. We have only had it for a week, so I don't have a lot of experience with it yet. But, the time I have had driving it has been rewarding. Compared to the archaic, Jeep Cherokee Limited which it replaced, it is a little larger, yet drives like a sports car. The 1.6 liter EcoBoost is powerful and responsive. The handling of this little SUV is really nice, the steering is quick and extremely responsive while the suspension provides a firm, nimble ride. The brakes are very good, although touchy - requiring a light, controlled foot. Our average gas mileage, for mixed city-highway is 26MPG, but includes 2 70 mile trips.

Favorite Features

Interior and exterior styling is very nice. Engine is powerful and responsive. 4 wheel drive. Handles very well. Great suspension, wide sporty tires. Responsive brakes. Interior lighting is pretty amazing with all the different colors we can choose. Spacious cargo area, fits our dog's large kennel easily with room to spare. Dual climate control and seat warmers are a plus. The Ford-Sync features are over the top for this 58 year old reviewer and quite wonderous. I cannot comment on this amenity as of yet; there is much to learn. One has to be careful to pay attention to the road and not get wrapped up with all the technological foo-fa-doo; or so my wife keeps telling me.

Suggested Improvements

Some of the interior components seem a little cheap, but for the most part are pretty luxurious. Rear view is limited. This issue has been taken care of in the 2014 models with rear view and side view alert sensors. I would give five stars but need to see how it holds up over time.